Rebuild or magnum

esonu

Established Member
What is better off in peoples opinions. I have 600+lbstq and I’m hoping to be around 800rwhp and 700ish tq. Currently I have a center force dual friction clutch and somehow it’s handling the power but 3rd gear is not allowing me to shift during pulls unless i slowly shift. Is there any good rebuild kits that’ll be reliable or am I better off going magnum? Regardless of the route I will go McLeod 26 spline clutch/flywheel. Any input would be appreciated.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Last time I looked into upgrading my T-56 it was close to $3000 for all the good stuff from Tick Performance. I think a Magnum isn't much more than that. Though you have to either get a new driveshaft or have your current one shortened. I think it comes down to what you want to deal with and how you use the car. If you race the car regularly the Magnum might be good for you. If you just do the occasional run through the gears a good rebuild should be enough for you.

blownfox

Established Member
I pulled the transmission early spring to replace the clutch and decided to have the transmission looked at. $1400 for a slight built on the t-56. Billet keys (1/2 & 3/4), bronzes pads, 26 input shaft and replaced all the synchros. Went with the centerforce twin disc. Cars drives and shifts awesome!

This guys was local to me and specializes in ford/chevy/viper t-56 transmissions.

I'm probably making 650 rwhp throught 2.3 VMP on E85. At 800 I would do the viper tail shaft but the output splines are not the same as our cars. Probably better off with a magnum at that point.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Depends on how much you want to spend on a rebuild and who is doing it.
A new Magnum takes that power easily, my XL does.
-J

esonu

Established Member
It seems like I’m leaning more toward the magnum but if a rebuild with the same reliability of a magnum and 26spline input shaft is going to cost the same or less I might go that route. This way I won’t require a new DS and I’ll have oem fitment.

2003DSGMACH1

Established Member
It seems like I’m leaning more toward the magnum but if a rebuild with the same reliability of a magnum and 26spline input shaft is going to cost the same or less I might go that route. This way I won’t require a new DS and I’ll have oem fitment.
But if you bought a magnum you could sell your t56 and make back some of the you spend for the magnum.

IllCobra

Established Member
But if you bought a magnum you could sell your t56 and make back some of the you spend for the magnum.
This is what I did and after subtracting what I made from selling my T56 ( I did include a few extra parts), the total came out to around $1,750. So I spent $1,750 and got a new T56 magnum, a new RTX clutch & flywheel, stifflers crossmember, sonnax 31 spline input shaft, u-joints and work to get the oem driveshaft shortened/balanced, oil, and misc parts. Note that it would have been about $400 cheaper but I opted to get viper spec 5th and 6th OD gears done.

After driving it for the first time with the magnum, I can tell you it was well worth it. It shifts like butter and isn't clunky at all. Not sure if a built t56 would shift this smooth if you just want to cruise around. I can't wait to really test it once I break in the clutch.

esonu

Established Member
Think I’ll just go magnum after doing all the extra research since it’s more of a lifetime route. Any input on maybe my current trans not being bad since the grind happened twice and since then I tried recreating it and it did not happen again. Could it be a possible clutch or cable issue? Regardless I will be going magnum at this point for my goals but I can’t see a 3rd gear grinding and not grinding out of nowhere lol.

esonu

Established Member
I do hate the notchy feeling of the factory t56. Appreciate everyone’s input.

Users who are viewing this thread