Rebuilding Diff - average mechanical skills

03SVT_SWE

Established Member
Due to "clunk" in in the diff, I took it out and opened it up to measure the backlash. Result: 0,016 to 0,018 - too much (Ford recommends 0,008 to 0,012). I'm not quite sure what to do now:

1. Shim the crown so the backlash will be whithin spec. Leave the pinion alone.
-or-
2. Take out the pinion and replace the crush sleeve and re-install - then measure the backlash. If ok-great, if not shim the crown to the right somewhat.

Btw - the oil is pitch black and stinks, is that normal (30k miles)? Since I have the diff out - would you recommend other upgrades considering I have 600+ hp. I was thinking repacing the clutchpack in the LOK since the rear goes sideways when spinning the wheels at take off - makes sence?

Thanks!!!

xtreme_exploder

Established Member
If the gears were quiet, you can probably get away with just re-shimming the gears. Try shimming the crown first like you said and check the gear pattern. If it's good, send it. Personally I hate the crush sleeves and have seen them fail. They make a solid spacer/shim setup to replace it (if you end up messing with the pinion). As a bonus, it allows you to take things apart and reassemble without replacing the sleeve too. Might as well replace the clutch packs if you're in there; its easy and fairly inexpensive. My car had 60k on it when I bought it. The gears whined like crazy and the oil was extremely black and sludgy and just nasty when I took it apart. I imagine it was bad since 30k judging by how horrible everything was, so I don't think your case is unusual. Seems like these cars need fairly frequent diff oil changes with the heat and abuse our diffs take. Yours was probably never touched.

03SVT_SWE

Established Member
If the gears were quiet, you can probably get away with just re-shimming the gears. Try shimming the crown first like you said and check the gear pattern. If it's good, send it. Personally I hate the crush sleeves and have seen them fail. They make a solid spacer/shim setup to replace it (if you end up messing with the pinion). As a bonus, it allows you to take things apart and reassemble without replacing the sleeve too. Might as well replace the clutch packs if you're in there; its easy and fairly inexpensive. My car had 60k on it when I bought it. The gears whined like crazy and the oil was extremely black and sludgy and just nasty when I took it apart. I imagine it was bad since 30k judging by how horrible everything was, so I don't think your case is unusual. Seems like these cars need fairly frequent diff oil changes with the heat and abuse our diffs take. Yours was probably never touched.

Thanks man! I'm leaning towards just reshimming the grear....

Users who are viewing this thread