Rebuilding The Terminated Cobra1FAFP48Y43F309694

Terminated_cobra_03

Established Member
Hello, I recently acquired the 03 Cobra VIN 1FAFP48Y43F309694 in the future when I talk about the car I will probably reference it by the names Terminated Cobra, 309694, or 9694.
let's start from the start. Where did it come from?
*Take this with a grain of salt, this is what it seems like probably happened based on stories I have heard.*
The car started life in life as a road-going Cobra in Costa Mesa, California. At some point, it crashed. the frame was bent. it was advertised on the forum and sold to a person named Zach. The car went from California to Illinois. It was discovered that the car was much worse than advertised and had a compromised front frame. It was sold to a friend of mine. The car moved from Illinois to Ohio. The car was then robbed of parts by the new owner. The new owner moved from Ohio to Tampa, Florida. The car made the trip as well. The car had the IRS swapped for a solid axle. In the summer of 2020, I was looking for a long-term project car. I knew my friend had a Terminator Cobra. The car in question was 9694. He said that it was a rolling shell and was in rough shape and had nothing in it. I went back and forth on whether or not I wanted to pull the trigger. I decided no. He said he would keep it until the time came that I wanted to buy it. but times changed and he got sick of paying to store the car. In 2021 he told me that when he goes back overseas for work if the car was not sold it would be scrapped. I was gutted. He was going to leave before I was able to come up with the money or get down there. I tried desperately to get someone to buy it. I waited a few more months and asked if it still existed. He had lost his job and had been stuck in the USA. This loss of employment gave me more time. I was going to be in Orlando for spring break. He told me if I want it he will trade me a model of his custom Dodge Viper for the Cobra and the trailer it is on. But I had 2 days to go to Tampa and get it. March 30th, we dragged 9694 to Orlando.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220425-104555_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220425-104555_Gallery.jpg
    662.1 KB · Views: 927
Last edited:

Terminated_cobra_03

Established Member
We got the Terminated Cobra back to the place we were staying at in Orlando, I went to bed as it was already very late. I decided to start taking inventory of what was there. we had 2 front fenders, the passenger side was folded in half so I gave it to a friend to scrap. I kept the driver side, however, it is probably gonna be cheaper to get a used one of a V6 and swap the emblems. The seats have UV burns on them so are gonna need to be redone. The carpet had an indication of rodent activity and was thrown out. I opened the trunk and found some blacked-out headlights. I also found the wiper motors and some other interior parts. the back tray was there but not a lot else. after inventory, it was time to clean out the rat's nest. It was bad but was taken care of. I put some air fresheners inside to try and kill the odor. I then gave the outside a good once over to clean off the moss and other organic plant life on the paint.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Pics of model custom viper?

Sounds like you made out on the deal. Lots of work here, young fella but sounds like youre up to it.

What kind of shape in the interior in?

Terminated_cobra_03

Established Member
Pics of model custom viper?

Sounds like you made out on the deal. Lots of work here, young fella but sounds like youre up to it.

What kind of shape in the interior in?
Is still a work in Progress I do have a picture of the real one. The front seats have UV burns and are dry rotted. The rear bench is pretty good so is the rear seatback but the headrest has very bad UV fade. I Will need to try to find another one. I don't have much. The usable interior parts are the back seats and that's it. No steering shaft, no dash, no e brake, there really is no interior. Low wage is a problem but luckily I do work for a parts store so the small stuff will be easier to obtain.

Last edited:

03' White Snake

Established Member
Hello, I recently acquired the 03 Cobra VIN 1FAFP48Y43F309694 in the future when I talk about the car I will probably reference it by the names Terminated Cobra, 309694, or 9694.
let's start from the start. Where did it come from?
*Take this with a grain of salt, this is what it seems like probably happened based on stories I have heard.*
The car started life in life as a road-going Cobra in Costa Mesa, California. At some point, it crashed. the frame was bent. it was advertised on the forum and sold to a person named Zach. The car went from California to Illinois. It was discovered that the car was much worse than advertised and had a compromised front frame. It was sold to a friend of mine. The car moved from Illinois to Ohio. The car was then robbed of parts by the new owner. The new owner moved from Ohio to Tampa, Florida. The car made the trip as well. The car had the IRS swapped for a solid axle. In the summer of 2020, I was looking for a long-term project car. I knew my friend had a Terminator Cobra. The car in question was 9694. He said that it was a rolling shell and was in rough shape and had nothing in it. I went back and forth on whether or not I wanted to pull the trigger. I decided no. He said he would keep it until the time came that I wanted to buy it. but times changed and he got sick of paying to store the car. In 2021 he told me that when he goes back overseas for work if the car was not sold it would be scrapped. I was gutted. He was going to leave before I was able to come up with the money or get down there. I tried desperately to get someone to buy it. I waited a few more months and asked if it still existed. He had lost his job and had been stuck in the USA. This loss of employment gave me more time. I was going to be in Orlando for spring break. He told me if I want it he will trade me a model of his custom Dodge Viper for the Cobra and the trailer it is on. But I had 2 days to go to Tampa and get it. March 30th, we dragged 9694 to Orlando.

You have a long ways to go if you plan on rebuilding a Cobra with $12 an hr pay.

You are talking easily 15K-20K to get that car running and driving again. I'd even bet closer to 30K if you want all the hard to get Cobra pieces too. Interior, bumpers, brakes, engine and trans, harnesses, Paint, wheels, exhaust etc. It is going to add up real quick.

The folding mirrors and side skirts are the most valuable parts on that car.

Good luck with the build. You basically have a clean slate to start with.

Terminated_cobra_03

Established Member
You have a long ways to go if you plan on rebuilding a Cobra with $12 an hr pay.

You are talking easily 15K-20K to get that car running and driving again. I'd even bet closer to 30K if you want all the hard to get Cobra pieces too. Interior, bumpers, brakes, engine and trans, harnesses, Paint, wheels, exhaust etc. It is going to add up real quick.

The folding mirrors and side skirts are the most valuable parts on that car.

Good luck with the build. You basically have a clean slate to start with.
mirrors are good , side skirt needs to be repaired are they plastic and if so what type?

Last edited:

Terminated_cobra_03

Established Member
old listing for the car found on this forum

Terminated_cobra_03

Established Member
Carfax acoiding to some:
The CARFAX Xpert
Vehicle Information:
2003 FORD MUSTANG COBRA SVT
1FAFP48Y43F309694
COUPE 4.6L V8 FI DOHC
REAR WHEEL DRIVE

Standard Equipment | Safety Options
Does not qualify for the CARFAX Buyback Guarantee DOES NOT qualify for the CARFAX Buyback Guarantee
Branded title Branded Title: Salvage
Accident/damage reported Accident / Damage reported
CARFAX 1-Owner vehicle CARFAX 1-Owner vehicle
Vehicle history information available 9 Detailed records available
Last reported odometer reading/mileage
52,728 Last reported odometer reading

Vehicle History Summary
A CARFAX Vehicle History Report is based only on information supplied to CARFAX. Other information about this vehicle, including problems, may not have been reported to CARFAX. Use this report as one important tool, along with a vehicle inspection and test drive, to make a better decision about your next used car.

Vehicle Ownership History Vehicle Ownership History
The number of owners is estimated by CARFAX Owner One Vehicle History
Year purchased 2002
Type of owner Personal
Estimated length of ownership 5 yrs. 10 mo.
Owned in the following states/provinces California
Estimated miles driven per year 8,760/yr
Last reported odometer reading 52,728

Vehicle Title History Vehicle Title History
CARFAX guarantees the information in this section Owner One Vehicle History
Salvage | Junk | Rebuilt
This vehicle does NOT qualify for the CARFAX Buyback Guarantee

Alert!
Problem Found
Fire/Flood | Hail Damage | Buyback/Lemon No Problem
Not Actual Mileage | Exceeds Mechanical Limits No Problem
Alert! Severe problems were reported by a state Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). This vehicle does not qualify for the CARFAX Buyback Guarantee.

Other Vehicle History Information Other Vehicle History Information
Not all accidents or other issues are reported to CARFAX Owner One Vehicle History
Total Loss Check
Total loss reported on 06/30/2008.

Total Loss
Structural / Frame Damage Check
No structural / frame damage reported to CARFAX.

No Issues Reported
Airbag Deployment Check
No airbag deployment reported to CARFAX.

No Issues Reported
Odometer Rollback Check
No indication of an odometer rollback.

No Issues Indicated
Accident Check
See State DMV-reported Title Problems above.

Alert!
Problem Found
Manufacturer Recall Check
Available directly from Ford. A current list of recalls is available at www.ford.com.

No Recalls Reported

CARFAX Vehicle History Report

Vehicle History DetailsGlossary
A CARFAX Vehicle History Report is based only on information supplied to CARFAX. CARFAX checked over 5 billion vehicle history events and found 9 record(s) for this 2003 FORD MUSTANG COBRA SVT (1FAFP48Y43F309694).

Owner One Vehicle History
Purchased: 2002
Type: Personal
Where: California
Est. miles/year: 8,760/yr
Est. length owned: 8/26/02 - 6/30/08
(5 yrs. 10 mo.)

Date: Mileage: Source: Comments:
08/14/2002 NICB Vehicle manufactured
and shipped to original dealer

08/26/2002 10 California
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Costa Mesa, CA Title issued or updated
First owner reported
Registered as
personal vehicle
Loan or lien reported

09/01/2005 24,243 Huntington Beach Ford
Huntington Beach, CA
714-842-6611
www.huntingtonbeachford.net
ww.huntingtonbeachf
ord.net Vehicle serviced
Maintenance inspection completed

10/05/2005 24,983 Huntington Beach Ford
Huntington Beach, CA
714-842-6611
ww.huntingtonbeachf
ord.net Vehicle serviced

04/29/2006 29,261 Huntington Beach Ford
Huntington Beach, CA
714-842-6611
ww.huntingtonbeachf
ord.net Vehicle serviced

08/09/2006 30,551 Huntington Beach Ford
Huntington Beach, CA
714-842-6611
ww.huntingtonbeachf
ord.net Vehicle serviced
Tire condition and pressure checked

06/11/2008 California
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Orange, CA Title issued or updated
Loan or lien reported
Registration updated when owner moved
the vehicle to a new location

06/30/2008 California
Motor Vehicle Dept. TOTAL LOSS VEHICLE
Title or registration issued
to insurance company

06/30/2008 52,728 California
Motor Vehicle Dept.
North Hollywood, CA SALVAGE TITLE/CERTIFICATE ISSUED

03' White Snake

Established Member
mirrors are good , side skirt needs to be repaired are they plastic and if so what type?
They are abs plastic. As far as I know there are no replacements made for them. So repair or buy used set is your best bet.

If they are dented or something, use a heat gun and push them back into shape. Cracked or just need paint, bring to an auto body shop.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Was this car at one time in Huber Heights, Oh? I seem to remember someone that bought a white one on a local board with a salvage title but something about registering it didn’t work and they were going to part it out or use the drivetrain in a 60’s Mustang.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Terminated_cobra_03

Established Member
If I'm not mistaken that may have been the case. Don't know if he had title issues but I know he had a 66 mustang. He put the engine and transmission and wiring into yes. Very possibly the same car and he was in Ohio, near Daytona.
Was this car at one time in Huber Heights, Oh? I seem to remember someone that bought a white one on a local board with a salvage title but something about registering it didn’t work and they were going to part it out or use the drivetrain in a 60’s Mustang.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
If I'm not mistaken that may have been the case. Don't know if he had title issues but I know he had a 66 mustang. He put the engine and transmission and wiring into yes. Very possibly the same car and he was in Ohio, near Daytona.

Near Dayton? That’s near Huber. I bet that’s the same car crazy world.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
This is going to be one hell of a financial challenge for you. I hope it all works out for you. You have a Salvage Certificate, correct? Not a Salvage Title. I going by what you posted in your other thread.

If you don't already have a copy of the 2003 Mustang Service Manual, you definitely should get one and start learning as much about the car (body, interior, suspension, power train, etc. as possible. You're basically building a Terminator from scratch.

Terminated_cobra_03

Established Member
This is going to be one hell of a financial challenge for you. I hope it all works out for you. You have a Salvage Certificate, correct? Not a Salvage Title. I going by what you posted in your other thread.

If you don't already have a copy of the 2003 Mustang Service Manual, you definitely should get one and start learning as much about the car (body, interior, suspension, power train, etc. as possible. You're basically building a Terminator from scratch.
At least one cheap V6 parts car will meet its maker for this project.

Last edited:

03' White Snake

Established Member
At least one cheap V6 parts car will meet its maker for this project.

That will only get you body panels and some interior parts.

You need to layout your end goal now and figure out what your plan is. Are you going to build an actual cobra, 4V DOHC blower car, or just a V8 swap, or coyote swap. This will change a lot of things.

Dash, dash wiring harness, engine harness, trans harness, fuse panels etc. are all Cobra specific parts. You need to understand what you are trying to build.

Financially, it might not be worth trying to rebuild that car. There is a guy local to me who part out Cobra's pretty regularly, I can't imagine paying what he is asking for some of the parts.

Here are a few of his postings....

Terminated_cobra_03

Established Member
The other thing that makes the project somewhat reasonable is beside the framework and paintwork, I plan to do everything in-house. At first, I was thinking about going to a turbo LS setup. But someone advised me that It is easier to just start by going back to stock. The LS swap would have been harder and a lot more work. As far as suspension. I work for an auto parts place so getting my hands on suspension components should not be that hard. I don't want to go overboard with after-market upgrades, however, I will be doing some longevity upgrades off the bat. I will get the IRS refreshed. Moog components for everything that I can get. It will be a lot like the song by Johnny Cash-One piece at a time. I got a set of front sway bar links with what little cash I had on hand. The big problem is the framework. I will keep cleaning up the parts I have but the frame is the biggest issue. I need to save up money to take it to the shop to have the frame fixed. However, we need to cut the front off. I want to make that first cut so I did the work at every step. I will gladly accept any parts donations if anyone has some Cobra parts laying around. I need everything.
If someone has some headlights that need to be restored. (YOU ALL ARE NOT READY FOR MY SCHEME ON HEADLIGHTS IF IT WORKS IT WILL BLOW YOUR MIND 50/50 shot that it works) even a shift boot that has some blemishes that they want to get rid of let me know.

Terminated_cobra_03

Established Member
That will only get you body panels and some interior parts.

You need to layout your end goal now and figure out what your plan is. Are you going to build an actual cobra, 4V DOHC blower car, or just a V8 swap, or coyote swap. This will change a lot of things.

Dash, dash wiring harness, engine harness, trans harness, fuse panels etc. are all Cobra specific parts. You need to understand what you are trying to build.

Financially, it might not be worth trying to rebuild that car. There is a guy local to me who part out Cobra's pretty regularly, I can't imagine paying what he is asking for some of the parts.

Here are a few of his postings....

I am not worried when it comes to wiring. I don't plan to build it back completely stock. There are upgrades planned on the ECU Trans and Body controller side. In that case, the dash wiring harness, engine harness, trans harness, and fuse panels are not of the most concern There is a guy near me who I have arranged a deal with as he slowly parts out his Cobra. That should help with most of the Cobra-specific parts. In Indiana so I got a few guys that are within a few hours.

Users who are viewing this thread