Rebuilding The Terminated Cobra1FAFP48Y43F309694

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
How much more rusted areas do you have to attend to? Sounds like you're 5-10 years away from a full-body paint? You mentioned it would be a few years, and I know this will be a very slow project for you.

Once you get it inside your garage, will it stay there during the whole restoration term?

Terminated_cobra_03

Established Member
How much more rusted areas do you have to attend to? Sounds like you're 5-10 years away from a full-body paint? You mentioned it would be a few years, and I know this will be a very slow project for you.

Once you get it inside your garage, will it stay there during the whole restoration term?
There is actually no deep rust it's all just on the surface like shown. That is one of the reasons I was willing to take on the project is some of the things I would normally have to deal with because I am from the Midwest. This was a California car when it was on the road and then it moved around before sitting in a storage lot north of Tampa, Florida for a while. I need to lift it up but if there is rust it shouldn't be too bad. I do plan to keep it in the garage for most of the time. If not it will be under a weather proof car cover.
Some refinished parts like my cowl and seats are inside the house.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That is good that is surface rust you dealing. I hope things go well for you as you progress through the project.

Terminated_cobra_03

Established Member
Is he trying to rebuild someone's parts car?
The fact of the matter is yes its rough. Most people won't see what I see in this car. Most people think it's to far gone. Underneath the ugliest part is actually a incredibly straight and clean shell. I think once I get a bit more progress on it... by next spring you all may see my point of view. I'm not crazy, I just see what most people can't.

Terminated_cobra_03

Established Member
Well didn't expect to make a post again 11pm but just got new door cards for the project. Coming from redline goods. It's simple, just black leather and white stitches.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221125-225606_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20221125-225606_Gallery.jpg
    996.8 KB · Views: 81

vr4

Established Member
I wish you luck and really hope you get to your goal.

A little perspective follows...

I bought a roller back in May. It still had interior and a bunch of other Cobra specific parts left on it. I have every part from my old 03 that wasn't destroyed in the theft (driveshaft, heat exchanger, and front bumper were all I couldn't reuse). I paid 5k for the roller.

Financially it would have been smarter to have bought a runner and sold my parts.

vr4

Established Member
@vr4, you're not the first person to find that out. Sometimes, though, it's not about the money. It can be more about the connection you have with the car, or shell of the car. I think that is the case with @Terminated_cobra_03.
To be honest it's partly self inflicted. ARH headers to replace the kooks that were on it... For ground clearance and starter access... Among other things

Terminated_cobra_03

Established Member
@vr4, you're not the first person to find that out. Sometimes, though, it's not about the money. It can be more about the connection you have with the car, or shell of the car. I think that is the case with @Terminated_cobra_03.

I have reasons for everything. This car was just some engine work away from running before the last owner took everything apart. He noticed bondo cracks in the inner fender aprons. Without knowing the true nature of how bad it was and assuming it was far worse then it actually was. He disassembled it and left it in the state it is now.

When I first saw the car I noticed how clean it was from the firewall back. I noticed that there wasn't to much rust and it was all surface. I knew at the worst I was looking at replacing the front clip for around 7k if it was to go back to OEM. I knew a tube front end was also a definite possibility. When I first got there and saw the car on the trailer I opened the doors and the doors opened extremely smoothly, this told me that the body was pretty darn straight and the body was not twisted.

I knew a good amount of parts are just normal mustang and could be found in junkyards.

The bottom line is I had my mind made up that this was possible and I was going to figure out how I could make it all happen.

Under the scatter brain posts and ADHD craziness is actually a lot of time on spreadsheets figuring out how it could all be done.

Yes I may get a lot of people that think I'm crazy or stupid. Over all I am emotionally attached to the car.

I do fully intend to ride this out to the very conclusion of this cars story.

Attachments

• 20221123_144009.jpg
    20221123_144009.jpg
    501.3 KB · Views: 93

jessie_sanders

Established Member
The fact of the matter is yes its rough. Most people won't see what I see in this car. Most people think it's to far gone. Underneath the ugliest part is actually a incredibly straight and clean shell. I think once I get a bit more progress on it... by next spring you all may see my point of view. I'm not crazy, I just see what most people can't.
Spring is 113 days away. Are you talking about spring 2023 or the spring of 2063?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
. The body is 100% straight as an arrow. There is a little bit of the frame that needs to be cut and reworked. The passenger side frame rails may need to be pulled slightly but are definitely saveable. Soon il be measured to find out how far off the frame is, we speculate it's out or square by around ½ an inch.

Straight as an arrow, just out of square by 1/2" or so.

Terminated_cobra_03

Established Member
Straight as an arrow, just out of square by 1/2" or so.
The ½ an inch number wasn't actually true, it was someone's guess, they didn't take a tape measure to it and look, I later did, it may actually be ⅛ off if not actually true. It's mainly the fender aprons as I mentioned above.

Last edited:

Terminated_cobra_03

Established Member
Another day and a bit of an update. After the other car was removed from my garage the Cobra is now inside of the garage. Need to clean the leaves out as well. Just glad it's out of the elements so I can continue work year round.
Screenshot_20221203-225539_Gallery.jpg

Gonna start to take everything out and start to sandblast the floors and get rid of some small rust marks that were caused by scratches as the interior was removed years ago.

dan1982

Established Member
Another day and a bit of an update. After the other car was removed from my garage the Cobra is now inside of the garage. Need to clean the leaves out as well. Just glad it's out of the elements so I can continue work year round. View attachment 1772015
Gonna start to take everything out and start to sandblast the floors and get rid of some small rust marks that were caused by scratches as the interior was removed years ago.
Are u sure this is a good idea man? I mean... u gotta also figure what YOUR TIME is worth. Plenty of runners out there for decent deals......... unless this is a learning experience its a terrible idea.

Users who are viewing this thread