Rebuilt & Modded Roush TVS

prn1972

Established Member
Justin's (vmp) Boss 302 is already at 840whp. Iirc on 17lbs boost & race fuel. Of course the Boss heads & exhaust cams are a little better than the GT's. Port the blower & spin it up to 20lbs, port the heads, custom blower cams, should be in the 900+whp. I don't think we will see 1000whp with a 2.3 TVS, its just too small.

Last edited:

cb900f

Established Member
Justin's (vmp) Boss 302 is already at 840whp. Iirc on 17lbs boost & race fuel. Of course the Boss heads & exhaust cams are a little better than the GT's. Port the blower & spin it up to 20lbs, port the heads, custom blower cams, should be in the 900+whp. I don't think we will see 1000whp with a 2.3 TVS, its just too small.

How much gains are people getting from porting? IMO it would be tough to get more, but I want to be proved wrong.

If anyone can do it, you can!!!

DEADLY FORCE

Established Member
The Snake Bite sounds super cool. Even at idle its very noticeable even at a distance. Just like Stiegemier was say it reminds me of a centrifugal sound. So no stealth mode for me now. No leaks what so ever with the Venom Cooler, or the new engine for that matter. Currently working on some tuning/electrical issues unrelated to the blower at the moment. To be continued...

DEADLY FORCE

Established Member
haha! I could add you to my facebook for the vid! lol I'll try to get a vid. My friend is the one who recorded it so he has it. I'll see if he can send it to me and download it to youtube. I got to go fly now.

blkstang302

Established Member
haha! I could add you to my facebook for the vid! lol I'll try to get a vid. My friend is the one who recorded it so he has it. I'll see if he can send it to me and download it to youtube. I got to go fly now.

Yes vid please!! If I have to add someone on fb to see it just message me the name :banana:

DEADLY FORCE

Established Member
http://youtu.be/OB2QX9_Pats

This is the youtube link. Was just after the first road test. I was only slowly revving it to see if could perform the step test to 3,500. As far as the cam loping sound, I mentioned that because it was throwing a code for a bad cam position sensor/ intermittent. My tuner thinks the timing might be off a tooth, so I'll be checking it after I try my previous injectors and tune first as I already swapped sensors and it didn't fix it. It's a lot louder in person. Ended up putting my stock axle backs on because I live in an apartment complex. I had a guy come over clear across the parking lot about 100 yards said he could hear the whistle/whine of the charger from that distance.

olaosunt

Established Member
Great thread and please continue to provide updates.
Don't mean to hijack this thread but wanted to share my similar plans and recent experience.
I too just had a Boss long block built with stock compression. I broke the crank off my old 9.5 compression alluminator with a 2.9 whipple/10 rib cobra jet/20 % ATi damper set up . Not sure if it was the heavy damper, inherent problems with the crank or me hitting the rev limiter-probably a combination of all the above.
I am now somewhat afraid to go back to that set up especially if I race the car again.

I had a Roush TVS which I sold after going to the Whipple set up and was fortunate to have been able to buy it back.
Justin is sending my 8 rib pulley conversion and 5% damper out today and I just shipped my TVS to steigmeir for the snake bite drive and venom cooler as recommended. I am starting with the biggest 8 rib pulley-82, which with the 1.3 drive and 5% OD should spin the blower to 21,225 rpm at 7500 engine rpm.This is close to what the 63(will not fit the ROUSH) and the 5 % OD spins it to on Rebecca's car and Justin says it should make about 18 psi.The 8 rib pulleys come in 82, 75, 69 and 63 so I could pulley down to a 75mm to get to 20 if needed although that may be over spinning the blower.

While I am waiting on the TVS and breaking in the engine/rebuilt RXT I may just put back the Whipple for now.
Below is a comparism of what the engine made with the TVS/69mm pulley at 15 psi and the 2.9 whipple/3.25/20 %OD at 18 peak psi (average 16-17)-obviously on different days
The Whipple is red and the TVS blue

dyno.jpg

yngrshr

Established Member
So, I'm really considering doing this when I hopefully forge the engine this winter (that's the plan, anyway). The Venom Cooler mod just sounds so ****ing awesome.

DEADLY FORCE

Established Member
Looks like I messed up the engine timing a little. Gonna have to tear down the front end and redo it. I went cheap and tried reusing my original chains and tensioners. I recalled the side that is acting up, is the one that felt a little loose on tension. Which makes me believe it skipped a tooth. Gonna have to order new chains/ tensioners and camshaft http://youtu.be/OB2QX9_Patscap bolts. Unfortunately I deploy too soon to get everything done. So I will be looking forward to you guys' post on what you are able to do with your setups! Good luck. Was a nice lesson for me not to cheap out on parts. I should have known better by now.

Last edited:

grnenvy

Established Member
Yeah dude I listened to the Vid and u either screwed up the timing marks or got a bad coil or plug. I would check the easy stuff first. Good luck and keep us posted.

Users who are viewing this thread