Rebuilt & Modded Roush TVS

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
Decent numbers through a manual but what's your best ET that's what matters??
Haven't had a chance to run in real air. So far the best I've ran, at 8900DA was 11.20 @130. That's on 20s and DRs...
Just for arguments sake, My buddy that's a great driver ran his 2012 ZR1 to the tune of 12.2 @ 121 and stock 2013+ GT500s run mid 13s at 116-117 here.

Joey8

Established Member
Haven't had a chance to run in real air. So far the best I've ran, at 8900DA was 11.20 @130. That's on 20s and DRs...
Just for arguments sake, My buddy that's a great driver ran his 2012 ZR1 to the tune of 12.2 @ 121 and stock 2013+ GT500s run mid 13s at 116-117 here.

Wow @ stock gt500s running 13s lol. Then again your in 9k DA thats crazy. Would love to see that beast run 9s in good air and a tire.

by9468840

Established Member
Great thread and please continue to provide updates.
Don't mean to hijack this thread but wanted to share my similar plans and recent experience.
I too just had a Boss long block built with stock compression. I broke the crank off my old 9.5 compression alluminator with a 2.9 whipple/10 rib cobra jet/20 % ATi damper set up . Not sure if it was the heavy damper, inherent problems with the crank or me hitting the rev limiter-probably a combination of all the above.
I am now somewhat afraid to go back to that set up especially if I race the car again.

I had a Roush TVS which I sold after going to the Whipple set up and was fortunate to have been able to buy it back.
Justin is sending my 8 rib pulley conversion and 5% damper out today and I just shipped my TVS to steigmeir for the snake bite drive and venom cooler as recommended. I am starting with the biggest 8 rib pulley-82, which with the 1.3 drive and 5% OD should spin the blower to 21,225 rpm at 7500 engine rpm.This is close to what the 63(will not fit the ROUSH) and the 5 % OD spins it to on Rebecca's car and Justin says it should make about 18 psi.The 8 rib pulleys come in 82, 75, 69 and 63 so I could pulley down to a 75mm to get to 20 if needed although that may be over spinning the blower.

While I am waiting on the TVS and breaking in the engine/rebuilt RXT I may just put back the Whipple for now.
Below is a comparism of what the engine made with the TVS/69mm pulley at 15 psi and the 2.9 whipple/3.25/20 %OD at 18 peak psi (average 16-17)-obviously on different days
The Whipple is red and the TVS blue

View attachment 15781

Why are you going back to roush setup after your 10 rib whipple investment?

olaosunt

Established Member
Why are you going back to roush setup after your 10 rib whipple investment?
My Ford Tech and I are worried as some others have also suggested that the weight of the 20 % damper(12.5 vs 7 lbs stock)may have contributed the the crank snapping off.I also some how also talked my self out of having the crank double keyed(may have felt safer reusing if I did).
I may go back to the set up if I am looking at more downtime with my TVS at steigmeir but will not be racing with it.
I did buy the old alluminator used from cofeeman last year after he had it rebuilt.He had also broken the crank at the keyway but said he had the crank replaced and the block was rebuilt under warranty be Ford.
I spoke to Chris cruz who runs a 4.5 L whipple now with the same set up and he said he has never had issues nor heard of any from Cobra jet owners.
It could have been "operator error" since I did hit the rev limiter or that block may have had inherent problems to begin with.
I am just a little scared to risk my brand new Boss long block.
The TVS with the snake bite/5%OD and 82 mm 8 rib set up(the FEAD brackets of the 6 rib were warping anyway) should make about the same boost as I was making with the 2.9 whipple/3.25 pulley/20 %OD,although it will be spinning faster(venom cooler should help).
Whipple did not want me spinning the 2.9 any faster with a 3.0(I had to tell them I would rev limit to 7000 rpm with the 3.25) so technically I was maxed out any way with the whipple only seeing 18 psi.I could overspin the TVS with a 75 mm 8 rib and make 20 psi.
I am also trying to figure how I may be able to use the 2.9 whipple if I can't sell it(no bites so far) with the 8 rib.
I would have to return it to whipple to return to a direct drive first and will see if I can get a custom 8 rib pulley since VMP adds a rib to the front and back and whipple 8 rib pulleys add 2 ribs to the front of the 6 rib. With a 2.75 8 rib pulley and the % OD it should make boost more than it did with the 3.25/20 %OD but would probably be over spinning the blower.
I may be married to these two blowers now,considering how much I have invested in them.I may just have to keep one as a "spare":lol1: unless I can get at least 60-70% of my investment back

Last edited:

olaosunt

Established Member
have my snake bite TVS running with the VMP 5 % OD-Running an 8 rib 82 mm pulley and pleased with it.
th_IMG_0450_zps9cf1be38.jpg

http://vid1272.photobucket.com/albums/y382/olaosunt/IMG_0450_zps9cf1be38.mp4
URL=http://s1272.photobucket.com/user/olaosunt/media/TVS-RACE-11-VS-WHIPPLE-E85-95-5_zps80bc23cb.jpg.html]
TVS-RACE-11-VS-WHIPPLE-E85-95-5_zps80bc23cb.jpg
[/URL]
Just had the car with the snakebite TVS/75 mm 8 rib/5 % lower/race gas on the Dyno.
The Whipple(green)had a 3.25 10 rib/20 % damper and E85.Boost was as about 18 psi with both but boost dipped to 13 on the TVS after 5500 rpm-also was going lean.
It made a whole lot more torque compared to my previous set up with the whipple on the lower compression engine.
Run was on a different Dyno,race gas and the belt was slipping on the 75 mm 8 rib
I was also running out of fuel despite previously having enough to support the whipple at 800 rwhp on E85
I am adding a third pump and having the line redone to have the regulator on the return as recommended by Lund.
The belt was walking on the VMP damper so be recommended moving the lower manifold "as far back as possible"- will see if that helps .
I will run it again after all that is all sorted.I think it will make north of 800 rwhp under similar conditions as the whipple.The whipple Dyno was in feb
Looking at large bill for labour after I just went to get a Dyno pull, but the guys at Fathouse have been great. it could have been Kaboom as it was 30% lean up top on E85

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread