Recently got engine replacement on 17 GT350 w/High Oil Consumption

2K11_GT500

Established Member
I just got my 17 GT350 back after engine (warranty) replacement due to high oil consumption. I took delivery 08/08/16 have others will similar build/delivery had high oil consumption issues

DeathvalleySC

Established Member
I have a 2016 GT350 I bought used back in March of this year. I’ve put about 1200 miles on it (No track time) and I just checked my oil and there hasn’t been any oil consumption. Still original motor.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Voodoolt90

Established Member
I just got my 17 GT350 back after engine (warranty) replacement due to high oil consumption. I took delivery 08/08/16 have others will similar build/delivery had high oil consumption issues
Here’s my story, I own a 16 track pack gt350 bought with less than 50km. At 5000km the engine light came on. Report from ford states 8.5 quartz of oil were consumed in the first 300km of the cars life. Engine was destroyed. After waiting for weeks hotline Authd a long block assembly, on replacement the clutch assembly, cats and exhaust exchanger were also replaced due to the engine failure. This whole process was a fight and took 45 days.

Fast forward to this year. I have been monitoring the vehicle for oil consumption. The car has never been tracked. Ford just completed a oil consumption test with 1.8 quartz consumed in 750km. Engine passed compression.. however...Valve covers off revealed all the plugs on one bank to have oil residue... other bank .. all clean.. serious problem from my understanding.. Waiting on hotline for answers... another engine... how many times can we do this.. wish they’d just take it back at this point..

Race Red Boss

Established Member
If you haven't already....see the other thread on this same subject. There are a couple of guys that are in the process of getting their engines replaced for the same problem; car is eating oil.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I just checked mine again last time I drove it.

.5 per 2000 miles, which is easy for me to deal with. If all goes according to plan I shouldn't have to add any oil because it will get oil changes after each track day.

jvandy50

Established Member
Premium Member
100k on the Powertrain?? If so congrats to him lol

Race Red Boss

Established Member
Good to see Ford standing behind the GT350 warranty. You would think that if these cars have not developed an oil eating problem within the 5 yr. power train warranty, you should be safe. Not very comforting though that the issue appears to affect more than just the original model year.....

ANGREY

Established Member
I just checked mine again last time I drove it.

.5 per 2000 miles, which is easy for me to deal with. If all goes according to plan I shouldn't have to add any oil because it will get oil changes after each track day.

I agree with your initial approach, but be careful. Until they really determine where the oil is being consumed, it might not be a "meh, a half a quart every 2k miles isn't so bad" issue. If the oil is going out the exhaust ports, I'd agree. But if the oil is going through the spark side and then through, eventually, even with the ECU pulling timing via the knock sensor, it poses several potential problems, from gumming up stuff that shouldn't be coated in oil to reducing octane rating of the A/F mixture.....burning oil, even if it seems manageable might yield other problems down the road.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I agree with your initial approach, but be careful. Until they really determine where the oil is being consumed, it might not be a "meh, a half a quart every 2k miles isn't so bad" issue. If the oil is going out the exhaust ports, I'd agree. But if the oil is going through the spark side and then through, eventually, even with the ECU pulling timing via the knock sensor, it poses several potential problems, from gumming up stuff that shouldn't be coated in oil to reducing octane rating of the A/F mixture.....burning oil, even if it seems manageable might yield other problems down the road.
My catch can suggests at least some of it is running through the engine.

It's catching what it can, and I get the engine extremely hot on track so I figure it's probably keeping itself a little cleaner.

I'm not going to be one of those guys who sits and thinks about the potential downsides. I am going to be one of those guys that enjoys the car, beats on the car, and worries about something when it actually happens.

ANGREY

Established Member
My catch can suggests at least some of it is running through the engine.

It's catching what it can, and I get the engine extremely hot on track so I figure it's probably keeping itself a little cleaner.

I'm not going to be one of those guys who sits and thinks about the potential downsides. I am going to be one of those guys that enjoys the car, beats on the car, and worries about something when it actually happens.

I agree, I'm not waking up in cold sweats each night wondering how my engine is doing. But what I'm saying is that just because it's eating a little, rather than a lot, doesn't mean it's a resolved issue. It's just crabs versus syphilis. Is it better than eating a quart every 1k? Sure, but I wouldn't say it's acceptable.

I agree with you on enjoying the car though. The collector queens who are afraid of looking at the car too often because it might reduce the resale value crack me up. Drive the car. Enjoy it. We're all here for a short time. I'd hate to be on my death bed with a barely driven sports car saying "man I wish I'd have driven my car more."

Established Member
first plausible root cause I've seen. Oil pump/pressure malfunction damages cylinder walls and increases oil consumption.

The question becomes what is failing and when. Answer should determine if Ford will/should recall to fix all cars or if the problem is contained.

The truth comes out a little at a time :)

**I meant FoMoCo, not Christine Blasey's bs

Users who are viewing this thread