recommend me a watch

greenstang1313

back in black
Established Member
I'm looking to buy a watch, need some recommendations. I'll post a pic of the basic design that I want. Just looking for something analog with a minimalist style. Ideally I'd like it to be all black with gold hands. Not looking to spend a ton of money. I really like how this watch looks but its just a cheap casio:

AEA03A86-6BDD-4383-8316-581FC1128219_zpsbgviu8vn.png

Any recommendations?

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Last edited:

greenstang1313

back in black
Established Member
I am not a big fan of watches i can not see in the dark. And because of that, my first choice is luminox. but they are not cheap, starting a 200.

just googled them, nice looking watches but a little too 'busy' looking for my taste. i like simple looking watches like in the picture i posted. and $200 is very do-able since i just got my tax refund, im just not looking to spend more than 400 or 500.

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
I've had one of these for 13 years, now. Built like a tank, under $300.00, and the simplest display that still includes day & date. It can be repaired more times than I can count, and if you lose it, you won't cry like you will if you just lost your Tag/Huer. And they're self-winding mechanical movements.

Seriously, these things are tough, my watch gets a beating every day and it is still going. I can't count how many times I have broken the crystal (I'm built like a gorilla and a major klutz.). My watch repair guy puts a new one in, tests it, and it's still as waterproof as ever.

http://www.amazon.com/Seiko-SKX007K2-Divers-Automatic-Watch/dp/B000B5OD4I

Zerohe

Bro do you even Boost?
Established Member
Samsung Galaxy Gear. I've had one since launch, And i can honestly say, I probably wont wear another real watch again.

BMR Tech

I am a huge fan of Bernhardt Watches. IMO, they are reasonably priced for what you get.

http://www.bernhardtwatch.com/

Most of the "mainstream" watches in the $45 - $250 range are way more overpriced, for what you get, compared to the smaller watch makers in the $150 - $500 range.

For example - a $150 - $200 Invicta, which you see everywhere these days....comes with very cheap parts, and a mineral crystal. As, a Bernhardt comparable (https://www.bernhardtwatch.com/index.php?id=31) is $260, and comes with a workhorse auto movement (8215) and a sapphire crystal. You also get better service with that Bernhardt.

Happy hunting!

oneslo5.0

Established Member
I own a ton of watches, I have to Rolexes (given to me when my Grandfather passed), I have a fortis b-42, Invitca, Nixon(All black and all gold)

I will be honest, the watch I wear the most is the $200 Invitca or my G-Shock.

BMR Tech

^ You can get a much better watch for the money man.

"Movado" is the only thing that drives that cost. If you spend $500 on a watch, make sure it has a very good warranty.

Also, I do not recommend spending over $250 on a watch with a Quartz Movt.

greenstang1313

back in black
Established Member
^ You can get a much better watch for the money man.

"Movado" is the only thing that drives that cost. If you spend $500 on a watch, make sure it has a very good warranty.

Also, I do not recommend spending over $250 on a watch with a Quartz Movt.

what do you recommend in the $350-$500 range?

BMR Tech

Hmmm. Thats tough. Typically, the black watches are a little harder to shop for, if you want bang for the buck.

That is due to them being so popular at the current time. Most of them are cheaper, and if you get metal (PVD coated) - they tend to fade.

Let me see what I can do.

VenomousDSG

Get ready to fly!
Established Member
I don't wear watches much anymore, but if I did, i wouldnt waste my time with some cheap one. Spend the extra coin and get yourself a decent watch. Omega, Breitling , Rolex, etc.

KingJacobo

GM Fanboy Gone Darkside
Established Member
The Orient posted above is a great choice, as is the Seiko. Check out Citizen too.

I was in your shoes a few months ago, knew nothing of watches, but wanted a good one and to make an educated purchase, kind of like a non car guy in the market for a car.

Join Watchuseek.com forums and make a thread here http://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/ best decision I made when buying a new watch. I waited a few weeks, listened to advice and made an educated purchase.

For the record, I started off wanting a watch-equivalent of a Civic on 20's. They steered me in the right direction in terms of quality, value and brand heritage. That Movado is basically the watch equivalent of a Toyota Avalon. It looks nice, but it's just another cookie-cutter too common watch and nowhere near worth the price in terms of internals, build quality, etc.

I wear mine every day now and didn't give two shits about wearing one before.

JOIN WATCHUSEEK. DO IT NOW

arnoldschwarzeneggerscreamingkindergartencop.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread