Recommendations? Chrome or polished...

f4sfed

Established Member
Seriously looking at the AFS Cobra wheels.

However I don't know the advantages (or disadvantages) of the polished over the chrome.

Should I opt for the chrome? Or the polished?

Please help?

TIA,
FF

magnav4

Established Member
Never had chrome rims, but do have polished. I would think the chrome is harder to keep clean. I also am not fond of chrome rims, to showy (IMO).

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
Exact opposite. Polished aluminum is murder to keep clean as opposed to chrome. I've had a couple sets of polished whells and will never do it again. If you want the glossy finish, chrome is the only way to go!

Steve Snake Driver

Established Member
Chrome wheels are easier to maintain then polished. I opted for polished because if it ever gets a light scratch, you can polish it out. Thats not an option with chrome.

Steve Snake Driver

Established Member
Originally posted by sambandit
Exact opposite. Polished aluminum is murder to keep clean as opposed to chrome. I've had a couple sets of polished whells and will never do it again. If you want the glossy finish, chrome is the only way to go!

I got my order of ZOOP yesterday and will be putting it on starting tomorrow. Its supposed to eliminate the 'murder' part of maintaining the wheels. We'll see.

IDAREU

Banned
Why not get both, then when you feel like a change a great set of wheels will make it seem like a whole new car

f4sfed

Established Member
Thanks for the help everyone. Now I'm MORE confused than I was BEFORE I asked! :)

I'm leanin' toward the chromies.

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Doesn't AFS have the polished, clearcoated option? I haven't seen pics yet, but that's what I'm leaning toward.
After seeing all these cars with chrome rims I've changed my mind about shiny things. :D
I don't use Zaino on my rims, but I do wax them with with Meguiars paste wax. It seems to last longer and makes clean up a breeze.

BlKvNm

Established Member
Go chrome and here's two reasons why...

1: Just like a few have mentioned...polished is a pain to maintain compared to chromies. 2: Personally, I think chrome looks great on all Cobra colors. I love watching chrome wheels turnin' down the highway....

peace and hair grease

Mick

03 Cobra, Black (is there any other color worth owning?)
PLATE: BLK VNM

Mods:
Magnaflow Cat back
9" nails, er filter
Mac prochamber
Diablo Delta chip
2.93 Pulley
Gator belt
NGK Plugs
SVO 900 R hood
Eibach Pro Kit
Autometer Lunar Guages/Shiftlight
18x9 / 18x10 Chrome Saleens
245/40 / 275/40 Nitto 555ZRs
Cobra grill insert
MGW Polished Chrome Cobra T-handle shifter
Cobra embroidered floor mats
Muskatracing Carbon Fiber / chrome trimmed Cobra inserts
Lots-o-Zainos
437 wrhp / 435 rwtq

System: Eclipse/JL/FOCAL (no mach remnants)

My Car

Wife's car

ygohome

Bullz
Established Member
I like polished look better... just my opinion of course. THe chromes remind me of the older lexus sc400 chrome wheel option that came out in 91 or 92. They looked cheezy to me. They also remind me of the chrome hubcaps I see on the shelf at target. mind you, they do not look bad. It is just this target hubcap image keeps comming to mind. It looks good on your cars though.

Boy, this sounds harsh.... just my opinion remember. Chromes look good... just not what I like.

I'm ordering 2 of the polished AFS 17 x 10.5. If you go chrome you'd have to by all 4.

:beer:

Last edited:

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
Chrome! Polished is pain to keep shiney. You can just wipe off the chrome and it looks sweet. They call them polished because you have to polish them. I've had both. Chrome is the way to go.
:beer:

Jerky

Sum Sum Bling Bling
Established Member
If you have $, I think that the chrome would be very pretty on your red cobra. Then you can have 2 sets of wheels, one for the street, one for the track! I tend to first look at performance upgrades then look at cosmetics. . . it looks like you have already done that, so Get Them!

Users who are viewing this thread