Redline Accessories parking brake boot... got mine installed (lots of pictures)

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
I know there are a couple of people who have been on the fence about this so to speak, so I thought I'd post pictures of mine. I just got it finished up and put in today. I'm very pleased with how it turned out.

Redline Accessories tells you to install it with glue, which I was a little leary about. I opted to use Velcro instead because it leaves the boot completely removable still and you can take the Velcro off without causing any real belmishes to the leather or the console.

I started off inside the console by using a Dremel to grind down all of the plastic tabs to have a flat, smooth mounting surface. The discolored area you see is where I used the wire brush adapter on my Dremel to remove adhesive that I tried to use to hold in the stock rubber flapper, dust cover, whatever you want to call it...

1.jpg

Next I took Velcro and attached it to the back side of the console around the opening. There is a tiny bit of triming to do and you have to be a bit patient with it to get it right, but it doesn't take too long.

2.jpg

Then I took the other side of the Velcro and cut it down the middle into two halves and attached it to the edges of the boot.

3.jpg

After I was done with that I just fit it into the console, playing with it until I was satisfied. This what it looks like on the inside with the boot attached.

f_5.jpg

Some pictures of the finished product...

f_1.jpg

f_2.jpg

f_3.jpg

f_4.jpg

Finally, here is the console back in the car.

You can sort of see my new Ray Hilton SVT Tach transfer in this picture too :)
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

If a person wasn't aware it was an aftermarket piece, they wouldn't be able to tell it wasn't stock without looking REALLY close. You can't notice the Velcro one bit. All in all I'm very pleased with how it came out and think it looks A LOT better than the rubber piece of junk. Now all I need is a new steering wheel and my seats recovered and my interior will be in perfect shape :)

raven69david

Blown & Cammed
Established Member
Thanks for the pics. That looks terrific. I think i may actually do that. Do you have a part number and/or a link to the page where this is located at?

97CasperCobra

Track is Crack
CANiHaveGasCash said:
I need a new steering wheel as well. I would like an fr500 but they only come in black.

Me too....

Looks good Tabres....what floor mats are those?? They look off-colored. :(

I need new floor mats, new steering wheel and hopefully some tan/black '03 Cobra seats(possibly this summer :-D )

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
97CasperCobra said:
Me too....

Looks good Tabres....what floor mats are those?? They look off-colored. :(

I need new floor mats, new steering wheel and hopefully some tan/black '03 Cobra seats(possibly this summer :-D )

They are off-colored. My parents got me those about a year ago, it was the closest thing to tan they had. The mats actually belong in the '99/'01 Cobras with that color interior, there is a embroidered snake and everything. They really don't look that bad once you get used to them, I actually kind of like them now.

I wish I could find some black/tan '03 seats too, but I think I'd have to hit the lottery before I could afford them, heh.

95cobby

Established Member
That looks really good. I may just get one of those now because I am also sick of the rubber sides and it would add a nice touch. :rockon:

Wylde Horses

4.56 gear advocate
Established Member
Looks pretty good. I got myself the shifter and ebrake boots last summer and I think they look awesome - black leather with red stitching. One thing though that will make your ebrake boot looks alot better...

f_3.jpg

That little triangular bit of leather that you see in this pic right under the part that slides over the ebrake handle and that you can see sorta bulging out the side of your ebrake here:

3.jpg

...should be tucked "beneath" the shifter handle. It's hard to explain, but when it's in properly, there will be a flap of leather that tucks down into the gap and when the ebrake is down, it will kinda rest above it.

It should look a little more like this:

Mustang9904-04.jpg

...but be tucked in still a little more. Damn, if my camera was handy I'd take a picture of mine so you could see. It looks a lot better when it's all folded away nicely and gets rid of that baggy look.

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
Like I told you in the PM Bryan, you did a fantastic job, and it looks great!

My boot should be here in 4 or 5 days. It's made of Italian leather, and it's shipped from Poland (go figure ... ). The E-brake boot is $40, and the shift boot is $20 (depending on whether or not you get custom colors and stitching.

The customer service people are #1. I got several E-mails, with updated shipping info. I had ordered both boots, on the Internet, and then went back via telephone recording the next day and cancelled the shift boot. Got an E-mail right away, telling me the order had been adjusted. Good service.

Dan

CY98Cobra

Established Member
Tabres, I'm not on the fence anymore. I'm tired of the $.50 rubber flaps. good job by the way, looks great. now we need to see dano's.

you all cause me to spend way too much money.:)

raven69david

Blown & Cammed
Established Member
I got a replacement shifter bezel and i had to remove the old shifter boot. How the hell do you put that thing back on? I had to break off some plastic tabs that held it in place and it looked like once they came off...that was it! I have it laying in there for now, but i definetly need to have that thing put back on once i get the MGW Shifter. Anyone?

CY98Cobra

Established Member
in a recent mustang mag they replaced the shifter boot in their 98 cobra and they just sat it underneath the bezel. they didnt connect it but they said it looked good and isn't noticeable.

if you do decide to connect it, you could do like tabres and use velcro. since there isnt anything tugging on it it shouldnt come off.

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
/\ /\ What he said /\ /\

You should have applied heat to loosen the plastic studs, then you could have put it back together and re-melted the studs. I did that on my rubber flappers, and it held for about 14 months, then it tore again.

The shifter boot will be a hell of a lot easier to work with than the E-brake handle boot ...

Dan

pottsy

Established Member
Black98COBRA said:
you all cause me to spend way too much money.:)

You're telling me. I had planned to get some computer stuff but Casper's pics with the s-281 wing made me break down and buy one, haha. I'm sure this little gem will find its way onto my car soon as well...looks great man! :thumbsup:

Wylde Horses

4.56 gear advocate
Established Member
I ordered stuff from them on a couple occasions, and both times I received it in about two weeks or less. Don't worry Dan, they'll send an email about the time you should have gotten it. :)

COBRASVT

Established Member
Only thing I'm waiting on is trying to decide if I want the yellow stitching or now...

Users who are viewing this thread