Reichard Racing Ultra Grip pulley belt abuse

Stanger00

Established Member
Shredded a belt. I'm new to 3 bolt tensioner timing covers and had to remove the blower to figure out the routing.

This is the amount of belt dust that has built up in less than 1k miles since my blower and motor were installed. This is also the second belt to be killed by this pulley. This happened after I went WOT around 45-50mph and working the peddle to control the massive amount of wheel spin.

Edit: I run a 3.1RR pulley with 10% overdrive crank with 113" belt. Car has TFS 2 valve head and 8.5:1 comp Aluminator installed. This post isn't a question just throwing some information out there about my experience with the RR pulley. Things were much worse with the single bolt tensioner.

Lesson don't peddle the throttle in the upper RPMs.

A119D06B-54F3-410C-9B2C-22E25E1994E9-8459-000005F2C163AD20.jpg

74D4FA43-F9A8-4A62-A60C-91DC140E4144-8459-000005F2CC350B89.jpg

Last edited:

96vertsnake

Established Member
That's 8 rib pulley? I had a hell of a time with belt issues and setting up my YSI. I went through a dozen or more belts. I finally bought a Gates Laser Alignement Tool to make sure everything lined up. Check your IW balancer. That is wheremine didnt line up.

Stanger00

Established Member
This is a 6-rib pulley setup.

Working on getting the Vortech 3.125" pulley along with that beast of a tensioner that thump racing sells.

harvboi05

Established Member
...I went through a dozen or more belts. I finally bought a Gates Laser Alignement Tool to make sure everything lined up. Check your IW balancer. That is wheremine didnt line up.

this laser alignment tool will save you a lot of hassle. dayco makes one and its about 100 bucks. you can verify pulley alignment of the crank, alt and blower if you put the laser on the PS pulley and spin it accordingly. the root cause of my belt issues was my alternator pulley.

stock tensioner, stock crank, 6 rip, ~18psi, RR pulley. no belt slip here.

yellowstang1

Established Member
I was thinking of purchasing an RR 2.7 for my cobra. Do they not make a good pulley? or whats the deal?
Thanks.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
On a Vortech setup where it runs all off of one belt when you shift the belt needs to slip a little bit so it doesn't stress the accessories.. That's how it shreds belts.. :/

Stanger00

Established Member
this laser alignment tool will save you a lot of hassle. dayco makes one and its about 100 bucks. you can verify pulley alignment of the crank, alt and blower if you put the laser on the PS pulley and spin it accordingly. the root cause of my belt issues was my alternator pulley.

stock tensioner, stock crank, 6 rip, ~18psi, RR pulley. no belt slip here.

It's not an alignment issue. Nothing has changed with the head unit bracket or it's mounting to the timing cover. The powersteering to alternator used to be my belt issue with the single bolt. Now the belt is binding on the blower pulley from peddling the throttle in the upper RPMs.

The OEM tensioner arm looks to be only .250 thick of aluminum. Not a very stout piece IMO. The single bolts are webbed and are thicker material. I will upgrade this tensioner.

You can see the dust all over the bracket and head unit and that is only with 900 miles driven. Should not be dusting that bad, that pulley is killing them.

Users who are viewing this thread