Remflex Gaskets

RGrossman

Established Member
I'm a bit depressed right now. I've installed over 10 sets of headers and it looks like I finally got a set that is leaking. I don't know how, uised new factory gaskets and retained all the factory studs like I usually do.

I think I'm going to try the Remflex gaskets people fave about. My question is, should I coat each side with a high temp gasket maker like the one below or is it not necessary. I really don't know where its leaking but I do hear a fluttering type sound, no residue anywhere so it much be very small.

http://www.permatex.com/products/Au...mum_Temperature_RTV_Silicone_Gasket_Maker.htm

whyte_03

I got your HEMI hanging!!
Established Member
i used them.. do not coat them with anything. just make sure the exhaust flanges are flat and true... i actually had 2 stripped out header bolt holes and the car never had a exhaust leak with the rimflex's. And this was about 7 months worth of driving. Of course i now have the revised heads. good luck

whyte_03

I got your HEMI hanging!!
Established Member
also be careful... since the gasket is considerably thicker... you will lose about 2 threads off the bolt pitch. as long as ou stick to respectable torque specs you should be fine.

stangnutlx

Dreamin about Boobies
Established Member
i use the percy's seal for good. I swear by them, i have never had a set leak on me.

RGrossman

Established Member
Are they really thick? I already have really close clearance (almost touching the kmember) on my driver side header... I assume being thicker, the header will come out even further now causing an issue.

I will stick with the stock studs so I can really torque them down.

Last edited:

mmustangsrus

boost makes daddy happy
Established Member
nothing that a BFH will take care of :D
or in my case a air hammer :D

i`ve installed about 4 sets with ford factory gaskets & stage 8 locking header bolts & no problems all on them :beer:

RGrossman

Established Member
Can anyone recommend a product to remove old gasket residue? I thought I cleaned it off pretty well (was alot of orange silicone on leaking headers when I bought the car) and I just picked it off but I might be able to get a better cleaning with some gasket cleaning product.

RGrossman

Established Member
Well it evene stated in the description for 03/04 Cobra so I ordered a set. Had to get 3 day shipping to have them by this weekend, damn west coast companies.

mmustangsrus

boost makes daddy happy
Established Member
Can anyone recommend a product to remove old gasket residue? I thought I cleaned it off pretty well (was alot of orange silicone on leaking headers when I bought the car) and I just picked it off but I might be able to get a better cleaning with some gasket cleaning product.
brake clean & a scraper :(

RGrossman

Established Member
I used a scraper the first time and a scrubbing pad to get it as clean as I could. Does brake cleaner help?

What do you do for the driver side, cut the gasket in 2 for the oil dipstick?

RGrossman

Established Member
Should an exhaust leak be more pronounced when the car is cold or warmed up? I only hear mine when the car is warmed up...

I wanna confirm its a leak before I go pulling everything apart all over again.

LoudToy948

Ford Family
Established Member
I just put the remflex gaskets on with my Bassani Headers. The remflex are awesome gaskets. They send you a extra piece to play with so you can see how much it compresses. No leaks anywhere at all.

When I had my leak, I could hear it a little when the car was cold, but when it warmed up, it was very pronounced.

Users who are viewing this thread