Remington - Glock - Sig

LUBaseball2

Established Member
I know someone who can get a pretty big discount on these three makes and am looking for any suggestions. I would like to get 3 or 4 potentially... 1 Carry, 1 for my fiance, 1 shotgun and 1 rifle or 1911. Any input would be great. Thanks.

Here are two I'm interested in:
Remington 1911 R1
Remington 11-87

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
My advice, if you haven't already done so, would be to go hold them and see if you like them.
H&K makes a great pistol as well.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
Sig FTW...i have the nightmare .45 and the Ultra carry .45

U.M.
1911_zps4qwb8heu.jpg

astrodudepsu

1of72 Hater
Established Member
Carry - Glock 19
Fiance - Glock 19
Shotgun - Glock 19
1911- Glock 19

But all joking aside, Remington has been trending downward lately. Doesn't mean that they are making garbage, but the Freedom Group has ****ed over big green right proper. If you want to buy from them, I suggest doing a little research into the recent goings-on in that company.

If you can get discounted Sig Sauers, that sounds like too good a deal to pass up. Glocks are cheap to begin with, but Sigs are (roughly) double the price on average.

if I had to really pick 5 guns from that list from those companies:
Carry - Glock 26/27
Fiance - Sig 229
Shotgun - 11-87
1911- Sig
Rifle - Skip them, buy/build an AR15

Voltwings

Established Member
I'd recommend going to a range first, almost all have rentals now days and you can more than likely shoot any of those.

My Fiance's dad swears by Glock for the same reason i'm really not a fan. My view on Glocks is they are the Toyota Corolla of guns; they will work, and they will always work, but there's no ... X factor, nothing special about it. I feel my guns should be like my cars, i should feel something special, a connection, it should just feel like an extension of you and Glocks just always feel bland to me. Again, not hating on the quality or reliability, but i just know i wouldn't enjoy going to a range and shooting a Glock recreationaly.

That being said, i've really enjoyed the few sigs i've shot, a .40 and 9mm if i remember correctly, but i've just never had the desire to pay for one. You'll likely just need to go check them out and see what you think.

HandBanana

Established Member
We'll help you decide when you share the love on the deep discount. :-D

I like and own all of the brands you're looking at. My breakdown would look like this:

Carry - Glock 19 - you really can't go wrong with a Glock, they're tough as nails, rarely if ever see malfunctions, super easy to break down and clean, replace parts if necessary, relatively light in 9mm

Fiance' - Sig M11-A1 or P238 if thinking CCW - The M11-A1 is AMAZING(go read some reviews, specs and shoot one) and quite pricey so if you have a chance to snag one for a discount, go for it.

Shotgun - 870 Magnum - the 1187 is an incredible scatter gun but I'm more partial to the pump myself and you really can't beat the reliability of one of the oldest and most tried and true shotguns in US history. I can string together 3 shots with my 870 in less than 3 seconds, the 1187 will be faster but for home defense you can't beat the intimidation of a pump gun

Rifle/1911 - AR platform - If he can hook you up with a SIG AR at a discount, DO IT. I built a pretty nice AR out of an M400 receiver and I loved it. Even their factory rifles are pretty great.

Best of luck with your decision!

o2gt

Established Member
4 R51'S should do it. I bet your friend can get you a very nice discount.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Glock 23 for carry. Its a .40 SW , and with nothing more than a barrel swap, fire .357 Sig (22/23 mags work for .357 Sig rounds). A lone Wolf 9mm conversion barrel and glock 19 mags allow for use of 9mm. 3 calibers, 1 frame.

Glock 22/23 is the best kept secret in the Glock line. I have a glock 22 myself and love the full frame, but 23 is perfect for carry. Also perfect for smaller hands,could be great for fiance.

I own a Mossberg 500 and can attest to a quality shotgun. Though, Id upgrade to the Mossberg 590 if I were to buy again. Very similar platform, but the 590 is beefed up fro military use. 500 is a great civi version.

1911 or rifle... man I love the 1911, and the Sig pieces are amazing.. but if your getting a carry peice Id just get a rifle. AR15 is an easy choice to recommend. All mine are self built starting with Anderson Mfg lowers crafted from Cerro Forge pieces, and a Cerro Upper receiver. 5.56 round is great and little recoil with the right muzzle brake. The Miculek compensator is hella dope!

Also to consider is the AK platform. Saiga's or Zastava's in 7.62x39 are damn tanks and easily live up to the AK's legendary simplicity, reliability and durability. I love my AR, but if SHTF my go to rifle is an AK with AR as backup.

LUBaseball2

Established Member
My advice, if you haven't already done so, would be to go hold them and see if you like them.
H&K makes a great pistol as well.

I'm planning to run by the local range/shop tomorrow. I have looked into H&K before just out of my price range. Very nice guns.

Ever considered Springfield?

Love my 1911

Yea, I have a .40 XD Compact and love it.

Carry - Glock 19
Fiance - Glock 19
Shotgun - Glock 19
1911- Glock 19

But all joking aside, Remington has been trending downward lately. Doesn't mean that they are making garbage, but the Freedom Group has ****ed over big green right proper. If you want to buy from them, I suggest doing a little research into the recent goings-on in that company.

If you can get discounted Sig Sauers, that sounds like too good a deal to pass up. Glocks are cheap to begin with, but Sigs are (roughly) double the price on average.

if I had to really pick 5 guns from that list from those companies:
Carry - Glock 26/27
Fiance - Sig 229
Shotgun - 11-87
1911- Sig
Rifle - Skip them, buy/build an AR15

I will have to look into their downward spiral.... I looked up the Sig 229, I will take my fiance to go hold and possibly shoot it this weekend.

We'll help you decide when you share the love on the deep discount. :-D

I like and own all of the brands you're looking at. My breakdown would look like this:

Carry - Glock 19 - you really can't go wrong with a Glock, they're tough as nails, rarely if ever see malfunctions, super easy to break down and clean, replace parts if necessary, relatively light in 9mm

Fiance' - Sig M11-A1 or P238 if thinking CCW - The M11-A1 is AMAZING(go read some reviews, specs and shoot one) and quite pricey so if you have a chance to snag one for a discount, go for it.

Shotgun - 870 Magnum - the 1187 is an incredible scatter gun but I'm more partial to the pump myself and you really can't beat the reliability of one of the oldest and most tried and true shotguns in US history. I can string together 3 shots with my 870 in less than 3 seconds, the 1187 will be faster but for home defense you can't beat the intimidation of a pump gun

Rifle/1911 - AR platform - If he can hook you up with a SIG AR at a discount, DO IT. I built a pretty nice AR out of an M400 receiver and I loved it. Even their factory rifles are pretty great.

Best of luck with your decision!

Thanks! Along with the 229 we will have to check out the M11-A1 and 238. I have an 870 and love it.. I've always wanted the 1187 after trap shooting with my buddies.

I wish I had a hookup, I would buy a Remington Versa Max.

I checked that thing out the other night... It's sick! I'm trying to stay low budget even with the discount because we have a lot of expense coming up with a new home/wedding this year.

Glock 23 for carry. Its a .40 SW , and with nothing more than a barrel swap, fire .357 Sig (22/23 mags work for .357 Sig rounds). A lone Wolf 9mm conversion barrel and glock 19 mags allow for use of 9mm. 3 calibers, 1 frame.

Glock 22/23 is the best kept secret in the Glock line. I have a glock 22 myself and love the full frame, but 23 is perfect for carry. Also perfect for smaller hands,could be great for fiance.

I own a Mossberg 500 and can attest to a quality shotgun. Though, Id upgrade to the Mossberg 590 if I were to buy again. Very similar platform, but the 590 is beefed up fro military use. 500 is a great civi version.

1911 or rifle... man I love the 1911, and the Sig pieces are amazing.. but if your getting a carry peice Id just get a rifle. AR15 is an easy choice to recommend. All mine are self built starting with Anderson Mfg lowers crafted from Cerro Forge pieces, and a Cerro Upper receiver. 5.56 round is great and little recoil with the right muzzle brake. The Miculek compensator is hella dope!

Also to consider is the AK platform. Saiga's or Zastava's in 7.62x39 are damn tanks and easily live up to the AK's legendary simplicity, reliability and durability. I love my AR, but if SHTF my go to rifle is an AK with AR as backup.

I'm gonna check out the Glock 22/23... How much does the self built route run on avg?

astrodudepsu

1of72 Hater
Established Member
The beauty of a self-built AR is much like a self-built PC. It can be as cheap as $500 and the sky is the limit on price. You can assemble a very nice AR for $800-1000, if you spend more than that, much like with a PC, you are into diminishing returns or just paying for the cool factor. There is nothing wrong with that, if you demand the very best.

With Glock and Sig, you can't make a bad choice really. It comes down to just picking the ones you like the best. Although the 40cal glocks (35,22,23,27) do offer more versatility by being able to be converted to 357sig (which is a niche round and is expensive) with a barrel change, and 9mm (which is awesome) with a barrel change AND different magazines.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Best pistol personal defense rounds are Speer Gold Dots, or Hornady Critical Duty.

357 Sig is def niche, but damn powerful.

Blown 89

Established Member
Get a Springfield if you're wanting a 1911 in that price range.

astrodudepsu

1of72 Hater
Established Member
Best pistol personal defense rounds are Speer Gold Dots, or Hornady Critical Duty.

357 Sig is def niche, but damn powerful.

"The best" defensive rounds are entirely dependent on barrel length. Federal HST's are the most consistent performers across all calibers and SKUs. Critical Duty is specifically designed for full size guns (4+") barrels, and performs like shit out of a smaller barrel. The critical defense line fills that role. Gold Dots were the king of the hill ..... 5-10 years ago, but bullet technology is advancing. And the new gold dots, the G2's are testing like shit so far.

Shootingthebull410
TNoutdoors9

Look for yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread