remove hood insulation 5lbs save and better cooling

twistedneck

Established Member
correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't this a quick way to get 5lbs off the hood?

i know the insulation is there to stop the fire getting to the occupants quickly, but the aftermarket hoods i want dont have it either so hell with it.

anyone complete this mod yet on a 2011+?

THoughts appreciated.

GeorgeInNePa

Established Member
correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't this a quick way to get 5lbs off the hood?

i know the insulation is there to stop the fire getting to the occupants quickly, but the aftermarket hoods i want dont have it either so hell with it.

anyone complete this mod yet on a 2011+?

THoughts appreciated.
Does it really weigh 5lbs? The one in my G8 was lighter than that.

KIXASS

MEDICATED
Established Member
Wouldnt it help to keep the hood paint from fading or blistering on long time? I know if i dont prop my hood up as soon as i get back to the shop i cant even touch the prop rod for more than 4 secs without it burning my hand. Mine gets extremely hot under the hood. I need a 4" cowl to help that hot air to escape. Are the factory hoods steel or aluminum?

SILV03MustangGT

Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance
Established Member
i ran my 03 cobra without the hood insulation, but it also had the heat extractors so i figure that helped keep the underhood temps lower

dumbstixlars

Established Member
The mat doesn't stop a fire. It is just there for sound insulation. Might protect the exterior paint on the hood as well like Kix said.

acrbill

Established Member
I always thought the insulation was there to stop a fire. I thought I heard that the plastic pins melt and the insulation smothers the fire. I told this to a guy on a forum and he LOLd hard. Turns out he was a fireman.

The hood is aluminum and might get real hot without the insulation.

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
I wouldn't take it off. All that is gonna do is put more heat on the hood. It's not going to cool any better. Might as well accept the fact that while not moving the car will get hit or heat soak BUT when you start driving the engine bay temps will be ambient air temp. Anyone on here have a aeroforce? They can prove this just like I did in my lightning.

SicShelby09

Banned
I've done this with every mustang I have owned including my 09 gt500. The hood and paint was fine. Plus my under hood was painted. White car. I'm going to do my gt too. I forgot about this free mod.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
Mine gets extremely hot under the hood. I need a 4" cowl to help that hot air to escape. Are the factory hoods steel or aluminum?
a cowl pulls air in from the high pressure zone at the base of the windshield, hence why the cobras/GT500s have the air extractors where they do. the boss 302S hood would certainly pull a lot of air outta there though.

SicShelby09

Banned
What do you guys remove this thing for? to save 5lbs ?

Better sound from the engine. I know when I removed it from my GT500, the intake noise and scream from the blower went up x10. It was a welcome bonus. I didnt even thing about weight savings. No big deal on that. More for sound for me. And it looks better too if your under hood is painted. The white ones I have seen are.

D.T.R

Established Member
my hood is painted black on the inside, just like the rest of the car.
I think if I had a boosted car I'd probably take it off (for the sound benefit)... but i don't know if I'd want to risk messing up the hood's pain due to the high temperatures.

08GTCS Stang

I Don't Give a Chainsaw!
Established Member
Yeah I don't think the paint on the hood should be any problem. I know for a fact that Cervinis doesn't include insulation on the bottom of their hoods and I've never seen or heard of any paint problems on any of their hoods.

Stangrocka

Infant SVT Poster
Established Member
yeah your paint will not fade or crack, cars in the texas sun have a surface temp of Volcano hot and it doesnt fade or peel or anything. As far as fire protection, none, i always see those things burning first on cars that blow. it doesn't weigh 5 lbs though.

bull3441

Established Member
The mat doesn't stop a fire. It is just there for sound insulation. Might protect the exterior paint on the hood as well like Kix said.
It's not for sound deadening. It's called a Fire Blanket, the plastic push pins melt and the blanket drops downd to smother a fire.

Graboid

Established Member
I wouldn't take it off. All that is gonna do is put more heat on the hood. It's not going to cool any better. Might as well accept the fact that while not moving the car will get hit or heat soak BUT when you start driving the engine bay temps will be ambient air temp. Anyone on here have a aeroforce? They can prove this just like I did in my lightning.

Yep. Yesterday 86 Ambient and ran 88-90 when moving 20+. 125 temp sitting still.

Eta anyone with ram air or extractor hood with reference numbers?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread