removing oxygen sensor extensions? (how to)

maneuen

Established Member
I have ARH L/T headers with cats installed. I was doing some data logs and getting what appeared to be off readings. Shaun from AED (as well as others) said the first thing to try was to remove the O2 extensions. (I understand the stock wiring can reach by unclipping the harness from the top of the bellhousing / back of engine.

Can this be done from above the car? After I remove the engine cover and strut tower brace, is it fairly obvious what to unclip? or do I need access to a lift or ramps to go from underneath?

charba951

BOOSTTD
Established Member
I've done 2 cars, and both times I've been under the car when I did this. You might be able to get away with doing it on jack stands if your arms are long enough. The one on the bell housing is pretty easy to get to, but you can't see it. I think there are 2 more clips for the rear sensors too. You can get all of them to reach without extension. GL

CshiznitzJ

Established Member
I did it on ramps and stands from under car no problem. Just follow the wire and you will find where the wire is constrained.

TEG-84

Established Member
Or you can do like I did and use the Raptor upstream O2 sensors...#DY1184 Works perfect, and you will not need an extension as they are quite a bit longer!

charba951

BOOSTTD
Established Member
Or you can do like I did and use the Raptor upstream O2 sensors...#DY1184 Works perfect, and you will not need an extension as they are quite a bit longer!

Could do that, or just unclip the stock ones and use them...free. The stock sensors are plenty long

BadHabit2Break

Established Member
unclip the harness at the top of the bellhousing behind engine. Clip slides off bolt.

Jack up car and pull the 02 sensor down.....done

TEG-84

Established Member
I meant if his stockers are broke..as mine were with the stupid extensions.....

TEG-84

Established Member
Epileptikks,

were you running E85 or did the extensions or tune cause your O2's to go out?

I am unsure what exactly caused them to go out....at the time I had the Bama 91R tune installed. I decided to go E85 with the AED tune and shaun pointed out that they weren't working (while tuning for the Gas tune). I tried to rid of the extensions and drop the harness as others stated to no avail. So, I ordered the Raptor #DY1184 O2's (There are two upstream part numbers for the Raptor #1184 and #1185....I used the #1184's without a problem!) and BAMF problem fixed and I was able to put my harness back like it was. They are also cheaper then the Stang O2's.
Rock Auto has them for $59.99 each :beer:
More Information for MOTORCRAFT DY1184

Stang OEM upstream O2s $84.79 each
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=2603082&cc=1446394

Last edited:

SILV03MustangGT

Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance
Established Member
I've had my sensors go out while running LTs and E85. The issue is the sensors are positioned horizontal and they need to be positioned at a slightly downward angle so condensation doesn't build on them and once they start to heat the ceramic can crack.

hopony

Established Member
I've had my sensors go out while running LTs and E85. The issue is the sensors are positioned horizontal and they need to be positioned at a slightly downward angle so condensation doesn't build on them and once they start to heat the ceramic can crack.

That has happened on mine with pump gas also:shrug:

Sielmo

Established Member
I've done 2 cars, and both times I've been under the car when I did this. You might be able to get away with doing it on jack stands if your arms are long enough. The one on the bell housing is pretty easy to get to, but you can't see it. I think there are 2 more clips for the rear sensors too. You can get all of them to reach without extension. GL

Decided to do this without success. I have the AMRs as well with the supplied front extensions (no cats, rears off, no extensions connected) and did flop the harness over but cant seem to get any more length to connect the front O2 sensors without extensions. Ironically, the connection flopped over (drivers side) is within three inches, much closer than the passenger side. I think I have all the bell housing clips off but I can yank so much without fear of ripping the harness off from the ECU connection (wherever that is). I can feel that there is an existing loom up to that connects in but it doesnt move much. Am I missing something?

5lho

Established Member
As others have said, you can get at the harness for the unclip on the widebands from the top, if your arms aren't too fat and you take the engine cover off. E85 killed one of mine so, I replaced both and unclipping it made it alot easier, even on my factory exhaust.

You won't pull on the ECM stuff, that's way up in front of the engine bay. There's plenty of flex in the engine harness behind the engine.

....and RockAuto sold me the Stang O2s for about 60 bucks a pop, too...Motorcraft DY1185

Users who are viewing this thread