Replacement Battery Cost for Ford Lightning EV

RickyBobby51

Established Member
I saw a documented report saying that the battery replacement cost for a Ford Lightning EV is over $35,000 (not including labor).

Attachments

• 5D5BCCA2-4337-4958-8F9F-7108C361C65B.jpeg
    5D5BCCA2-4337-4958-8F9F-7108C361C65B.jpeg
    211.2 KB · Views: 104

q6543

Established Member
This is where technological deflation needs to kick in.... like with televisions... a flat plasma used to cost 10 grand...20 years later it's 500...95% deflation for a superior product..

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
I believe it. Back when i was a tech, the Escape(first gen) Hybrid had a battery cost of $10,000+ and even then they didnt add any mark up to it to make sure customers who needed one werent out of pocket more than the truck was worth when labor was accounted into it.

Only did a handful of battery replacements and most were under warranty. Felt terrible for the one customer that was a delivery driver who racked up hundreds of thousands of miles on hers. Ford ended up cutting the cost on the pack in half to make sure she was happy. She drove it for at least another 2-3 years before seeing her trade it in on a new one.

Either way, Ford did make sure its hybrid customers were taken care of. Gotta give it to them for that.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
This is where technological deflation needs to kick in.... like with televisions... a flat plasma used to cost 10 grand...20 years later it's 500...95% deflation for a superior product..

Not going to happen. You are paying for new technology, like a TV, you’re paying for raw materials. As EV demand increases, so does the demand and therefore the price of those materials. We sure aren’t mining enough to significantly increase supplies.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
LOL, ya lithium not going down in price. Neither is copper and other rare earth metals. Keep dreaming.

I think he's referring to advancements in technology to achieve better outcomes. I'd like to see the current process crash and burn, simply because of the environmental impact.

efurlong

Established Member
As others have said...
This is not a "flat screen TV" scenario.
The components that make up an EV battery are "rare earth minerals" & other materials. These materials are getting rarer & more expensive. Just like gold & silver. The Lightning 35k battery in 2022 will be much more expensive in the future. Current EV's and battery technology are already obsolete & most likely worse for the environment than any modern ICE.
The EPA should investigate the long term impact of EV's. Before it's too late. It isn't pretty.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
LOL, ya lithium not going down in price. Neither is copper and other rare earth metals. Keep dreaming.
I agree! Rare earth minerals are primarily found in China a Russia. Until and unless we find easier to obtain replacements, battery costs are going to remain high.

So basically these EVs are disposable cars/trucks. I dont see anyone buying a used 10 year old EV like we have with ice cars.
Sad, but mostly true. And they cost more than comparable ICE powered vehicle to begin with. Imagine the shock when you decide to trade your EV in on a new EV, say in 5 years. I wonder what a 2023 Ford Lightning will be worth in, say, 5-6 years. I found this quote on a Tesla depreciation search I did. "Teslas depreciate quickly because they're made with premium materials and use advanced technology. The electric vehicle market, in general, tends to depreciate much faster than any other type of vehicle."

q6543

Established Member
Y'all are too focused on the TV side... I am saying that the entire idea is predicated on breakthroughs making them lower cost over time.

Perhaps a non "rare earth mineral" battery is part of the future... I don't claim to know anything about it, but this whole evolution to EV IS based on technological deflation.

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
Y'all are too focused on the TV side... I am saying that the entire idea is predicated on breakthroughs making them lower cost over time.

Perhaps a non "rare earth mineral" battery is part of the future... I don't claim to know anything about it, but this whole evolution to EV IS based on technological deflation.
Lmao. It’s based on dictate at this point nothing more. Perhaps technological deflation may organically occur at some point, but that last sentence is pretty stupid.

q6543

Established Member
@SSSSSSSSSSSSVT

GOBBLESS HOSS

Put it like this... it won't be settled in our lifetimes.
Give EV's 100 years to mature like ICE is currently at.

Then we can revisit the convo.

mariusvt

Established Member
Current battery tech just isn't sustainable given the materials used. For EVs to really be the answer we'll need a battery technology that isn't based on extremely finite and hard to recover resources.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator

Sodium ion battery technology may be more practical in the future, but it relies on graphene. That’s not being produced at scale yet either. Still a long way to go for an advancement in production scalable battery tech.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member

They have been trying to dump lithium and cobalt for 30 years, the tradeoff is a bigger and less energy dense battery. That is fine for utility scale energy storage, not cars.

mariusvt

Established Member

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
Current battery tech just isn't sustainable given the materials used. For EVs to really be the answer we'll need a battery technology that isn't based on extremely finite and hard to recover resources.

This. The technology to go full EV at the scale they want simply doesn’t exist.

Will we get there? Yeah, eventually but trying to convert your entire economy from an abundant energy source to a finite one is not going to work.

Especially on the heels of lockdowns and dumb energy policies that wrecked our economy.

SSSSSSSSSSSSVT

Established Member
@SSSSSSSSSSSSVT

GOBBLESS HOSS

Put it like this... it won't be settled in our lifetimes.
Give EV's 100 years to mature like ICE is currently at.

Then we can revisit the convo.
They have had electric cars for over 100 years. The people have chosen which vehicle they prefer. This is standard capitalism. The government can try and force people to buy what they mandate (communism) but like in most societies since the beginning of time, capitalism tends to prevail.

Users who are viewing this thread