Replacing oil pan gasket. Should I do motor mounts, too?

YELOSNK

Established Member
I'm going to need to replace my leaking oil pan gasket in the spring. Given lowering the k-member appears necessary for that, should I also just replace the motor mounts? I'm assuming k-member needs to be lowered for that job, too.

No particular reason to think they're ruined, but they are 20+ years old with ~88k miles and it does spend a fair amount of time at WOT.

shurur

Established Member
The real issue is finding motor mounts that don't melt.
Folks have had recent problems with energy suspension, prothane and OEM from Rock Auto..

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
I'm going to need to replace my leaking oil pan gasket in the spring. Given lowering the k-member appears necessary for that, should I also just replace the motor mounts? I'm assuming k-member needs to be lowered for that job, too.

No particular reason to think they're ruined, but they are 20+ years old with ~88k miles and it does spend a fair amount of time at WOT.

you'll be able to tell for sure when you get to them.

but my 80k terminator needed them and the car didn't have any oil leaks

Rock44

Established Member
Just replaced my shifter and by the lean to the passenger side I can tell I need mounts. Not really looking forward to it.

If they look like they are on the edge, replace. If not, don’t fix what isn’t broken.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I imagine a lot of motor mounts are worse off than most people think. Mine and my buddies mounts looked like they were in good shape. One of his was actually broken. Mine had separated the metal from the rubber.

YELOSNK

Established Member
thanks all!

Probably not a terrible idea just due to age if you’re that far along.

Throw some long tubes in there too :LOL:

I'd consider it, but I am already very close to hitting the apex of my driveway. Are there any LTs that don't reduce clearance? I believe MAC were good for that, but don't think they're still made. BBK is still making them but I believe those do have clearance issues.

The real issue is finding motor mounts that don't melt.
Folks have had recent problems with energy suspension, prothane and OEM from Rock Auto..

Well that's disappointing. Seems like a definite risk given I drive this on track. =/

shurur

Established Member
Mine haven't melted yet. But I also kept the stock heat shields in place.
My car was supposedly stock and never had any heat shields.

You mentioned going to es or prothane and having an issue with melting, then back to rockauto OEM. Did you use the heat shields on the after market prothanes?

I have looked at that and mentioned it as being the possible cause, but there is some confusion with the part numbers, as well as the extra cost.
I was thinking of using electrical gang box plates or even a crushed can!

More and more I think that the quality of the urethane or rubber may be going down hill. Quality is not guarded in other countries.

Last edited:

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
I just put urethane mounts on mine. I dropped the stock K to do headers and it was a no brainer on replacing my engine mounts. I didn’t care what condition they were in. I am of the opinion that for my hobby car “while I’m in there, I might as well replace everything”…especially when doing a job like dropping the K.

I do not do that on all my vehicles. I tend to adhere to the “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” unless it’s the hobby car. Good luck.

YELOSNK

Established Member
I'd also be curious to know what heat shields. I didn't know there were any (and nothing comes up on google) though me not knowing isn't necessarily saying much.

Also, while folks are having melting issues with the OEM mounts on rockauto, is anyone having issues with the Ford OE mounts sold by LMR, etc?

52merc

Established Member
Heat shields for the engine mounts? I can't remember seeing any on my car and I'm the original owner. I'd have to jack the car up to look and its too cold right now so it will have to wait, but it has caught my interest. Hmmmm....

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
My car was supposedly stock and never had any heat shields.

You mentioned going to es or prothane and having an issue with melting, then back to rockauto OEM. Did you use the heat shields on the after market prothanes?

I have looked at that and mentioned it as being the possible cause, but there is some confusion with the part numbers, as well as the extra cost.
I was thinking of using electrical gang box plates or even a crushed can!

More and more I think that the quality of the urethane or rubber may be going down hill. Quality is not guarded in other countries.
I talked about going poly, but never did. I managed to stop the squeaking somehow so I didn't go any further.

I used OE replacements from LMR. At least they're labeled as that and had the Ford sticker. Where they were actually made, I don't know.

On the stock mounts there are pieces of tin wrapped around them. It's probably one of those things where if you don't know you don't think about it. They snap on and off. My 01 had them, my buddies 03 has them, and my 04 has them.

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
Mine has them. I’m not worried about my new poly mounts not having them. If they melt or whatever I’ll put the stockers back on. I doubt I have any issues…mine a street car that sees 2-3k a year maybe.

shurur

Established Member
I talked about going poly, but never did. I managed to stop the squeaking somehow so I didn't go any further.

I used OE replacements from LMR. At least they're labeled as that and had the Ford sticker. Where they were actually made, I don't know.

On the stock mounts there are pieces of tin wrapped around them. It's probably one of those things where if you don't know you don't think about it. They snap on and off. My 01 had them, my buddies 03 has them, and my 04 has them.
Well sounds like I may have tossed mine by mistake.

I think the heat shields is the key.
Going with the DEI..? OEM mounts with crushed can shields next, rather than solid mounts.

I found one site where this ghetto fix was mentioned for a toyota.. post #6

Badaz01

Established Member
I put the prothane mounts on my engine and my t56 trans Mount. No melting as of yet and I don’t recall a heat shield. I’m gonna have to check now that melting was mentioned.

Users who are viewing this thread