Requesting info from only those who use methanol...

Willie

Established Member
Guys,
For those who don't know, I've used this stuff for over a dozen years on various cars, but I'd like to take a short survey to see what you guys do. If you wouldn't mind answering a few questions, I'd very much appreciate it.

I had a flash of brilliance last night, but before I call it that, I need the following info. Then I will bounce my idea off you to see what you think.. Then and only then will I call it that or a brain fart... lol...

1) What mix do you use? 100% methanol, 50/50 water/methanol, 100% water, or something else.
2) If you use any percentage of methanol, what is your target AFR at WOT?
3) How many nozzles and location(s)?
4) Is your pump progressive?
5) Do you tune yourself? (Very important to know this.)

I appreciate this, gentlemen!

Last edited:

Willie

Established Member
I am working on an interface between my progressive methanol controller and the PCM. I don't know of anyone who has successfully done this. If I can, then I will need to go into my tune file and make some hefty changes (this is the easy part)..!

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
I have an Alky Control injection kit. I'm not sure of the kind of pump or nozzle size. I inject in the intake elbow, just before the TB. It's not enough to keep things cool, but it does help.
I use Boost Juice which is a 50/50 mix I think.
I did not tune mine myself. That's out of my wheelhouse of abilities

Willie

Established Member
I have an Alky Control injection kit.

Perfect. It has a gray auxiliary output wire that will be used.

I'm not sure of the kind of pump or nozzle size.

The pump is progressive. Do you have a bi-color LED? It's red at the onset of flow, then turns green when pressure reaches 50-psig. Can't help with the nozzle size but it's probably on the order of 12 to 18 gph.

I inject in the intake elbow, just before the TB. It's not enough to keep things cool, but it does help.

Your experience is typical. I solved this problem. It can be configured for cooling, as well as substantially increasing octane.

I use Boost Juice which is a 50/50 mix I think. I did not tune mine myself. That's out of my wheelhouse of abilities

Boost Juice is fine, just rather pricy. It is 50/50 (or 51/49) and dyed so it is not clear. Personally, I buy methanol at the track and mix it with distilled water. It's clear, but I'm okay with that..!

Understood about the tuning. I do not know of anyone other than myself that has played with methanol in my tune.

Willie

Established Member
Update: I think I got it figured out. I went through all related scalars and tables in my tune and now know what I need to change (and not change).

Must implement some hardware now and check some resistances.....

Goal: All the benefits of e85 without any of the cons...>>

30 percent less gas mileage
Difficult cold starts
Longer hot starts
No help to IAT's
May be harder to find
E85 quality varies which impacts tune

PLUS air charge cooling, which e85 does not. I will be able to run as much timing, if not a "little" more, and totally optimize my AFR.

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
The pump is progressive. Do you have a bi-color LED? It's red at the onset of flow, then turns green when pressure reaches 50-psig. Can't help with the nozzle size but it's probably on the order of 12 to 18 gph.
Yessir, bi-color LED. Do you happen to know of larger size nozzles for this kit? I need a bigger nozzle for more spray and hopefully cool down my Kenne Bell

Your experience is typical. I solved this problem. It can be configured for cooling, as well as substantially increasing octane.
Cooling is the main purpose I need it for

Willie

Established Member
Yessir, bi-color LED. Do you happen to know of larger size nozzles for this kit? I need a bigger nozzle for more spray and hopefully cool down my Kenne Bell

I don't know what the largest size is, but I know Julio can take care of you. I believe he runs a #30 nozzle, twice the size of yours..

Which KB do you have? I have one too.

Cooling is the main purpose I need it for

Although I live in Az, I am originally from Tx and lived in Houston too. Hot and sticky, so I know. It's just hot here. If you are only concerned with cooling, try straight distilled water. It will give you max cooling.

Willie

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
I don't know what the largest size is, but I know Julio can take care of you. I believe he runs a #30 nozzle, twice the size of yours..

Which KB do you have? I have one too.

Although I live in Az, I am originally from Tx and lived in Houston too. Hot and sticky, so I know. It's just hot here. If you are only concerned with cooling, try straight distilled water. It will give you max cooling.

Willie

Julio? I'd like to get a larger nozzle for sure.

I have a 2.1 Flowzilla on my 93 Cobra. It's a fun supercharger, but it gets so hot im afraid the hood is going to melt.

Willie

Established Member
Julio is the owner of AlkyControl. Tell him I sent you and he'll probably hang up on you, LOL... I've been doing business with him since the dawn of time and I use his controller too.

Willie

Willie

Established Member
Before you contact Julio, would you like an explanation on how to maximize your cooling? One pre-blower nozzle just ain't gonna cut it...

Willie

Willie

Established Member
How about somewhere at the base of the supercharger, or on the intake manifold close to the supercharger outlet? Two nozzles on each side if possible....

Willie

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
The arrow with a circle is an area I suppose I could add a second nozzle?
The one marked nozzle is where my current placement is
IMG_4850.JPG

Blown38

Established Member
The arrow with a circle is an area I suppose I could add a second nozzle?
The one marked nozzle is where my current placement is

I would add a nozzle to the front and back of the blower hat. Not that you want to drill holes in that pretty piece. Or on the under side basically opposite where the cobra emblem is. If there is enough room.

Users who are viewing this thread