Retirement? LOL **** your face...

FX4 SAPPER

Established Member
When's the last time a 19 year old got $40k a year to PMCS equipment and work out?

40k a year? At 19?? At 19 for me I was LUCKY to even come close to making that doing RCPs and TCPs in Iraq. Looking for IEDS every day was certainly more stressful than a day in the motor pool. And even still, we were all grossly underpaid while doing that shit. This retirement is a complete slap in the dick man, to everyone. You can't say to me that you think it's fair to screw the younger generation over if you are being grandfathered in. Those guys will do the same time for less results, and for what reason? I feel so bad for everyone affected by this stupidity. Remember while retirement is cut, billions and billions each year go to countries that hate us. I'm not meaning to attack you on this dude but this is one thing that enrages me more than anything because if seems as of late that were the only ones taking the ****ing. Reforming this should have been second from the bottom on the money saving list considering the mess were in right now.

DSG2NV03

MUST HAVE BOOST!!!
Established Member
Ive been in 11.5 years and just made the switch to O. I just chaps my ass that it was one of the first things to go. All of these other programs out there bleeding federal tax dollars and this was the close to the top? SMH. I have spent months on end totaling years of my life under the water doing "work". Is retirement money going to be a good deal when I retire? Yea, probably, which is one of the reasons I switch because officer money is better than enlisted.

As someone said earlier, if it was across the board cuts; sucks, but got it! We aren't gonna make back 16+ trillion without a little pain. However, it is not. It seams easiest to grab ahold of and take.

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
40k a year? At 19?? At 19 for me I was LUCKY to even come close to making that doing RCPs and TCPs in Iraq. Looking for IEDS every day was certainly more stressful than a day in the motor pool. And even still, we were all grossly underpaid while doing that shit. This retirement is a complete slap in the dick man, to everyone. You can't say to me that you think it's fair to screw the younger generation over if you are being grandfathered in. Those guys will do the same time for less results, and for what reason? I feel so bad for everyone affected by this stupidity. Remember while retirement is cut, billions and billions each year go to countries that hate us. I'm not meaning to attack you on this dude but this is one thing that enrages me more than anything because if seems as of late that were the only ones taking the ****ing. Reforming this should have been second from the bottom on the money saving list considering the mess were in right now.

If you're an E-4 and receiving BAH and BAS, $40k is easily achievable.

You mention your time overseas. And while you're example is a good one, this isn't a 5 year plan. This is a permanent change in the retirement system, hopefully leading to even more changes in the system.

If you were in the military for the last 5-10 years then yes, life has been very shitty at times. What about before that?

What about people who served say 20 years from 1976 to 1996? Maybe they did a tour in the Gulf, but more than likely they didn't. Everything about being in a combat zone (sans some SF guys) isn't applicable to them. They lived a pretty cushy life for their career when compared to military members today.

When Afghanistan officially ends, who's to say we don't go a century without another war? You have to look at the big picture.

That said, I agree that cuts shouldn't only apply to the military retirement system or the military budget period.

R1der

SVT Vet
Established Member
I only have 5 in...debating if I still want to try for 20 or get out and use that GI bill. Only problem is that I have a family to take care of and the transition would be rough

When I was getting out EVERYONE was saying "there's no jobs" I have one thing to say to that BULLSHIT. All you have to do is look and I mean really put effort into it, A lot of the guys I know expect jobs to be handed to them they wont be. Write a good resume and dress appropriately (not in ACU'S).

I had 4 offers 3 months before I got out and all of them blew my military pay out of the water. As for the family I have 2 kids and a wife, So I know what you are going thru man. Goodluck

Stevedotmil

Aim Small/Miss Small
Established Member
Has anyone in here started their own business after they retired? Just wondering because that's what I plan on supplementing my retirement with as well as my wife's income.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
Been awhile since I commented here. Basically as it sits I may not even get the chance to enjoy a reduced retirement. My AFSC and grade has to go to an Enlisted Retention Board this year. Hopefully there are bigger ****ups than me...

charba951

BOOSTTD
Established Member
When I was getting out EVERYONE was saying "there's no jobs" I have one thing to say to that BULLSHIT. All you have to do is look and I mean really put effort into it, A lot of the guys I know expect jobs to be handed to them they wont be. Write a good resume and dress appropriately (not in ACU'S).

I had 4 offers 3 months before I got out and all of them blew my military pay out of the water. As for the family I have 2 kids and a wife, So I know what you are going thru man. Goodluck

I was taling to a friend of mine that enlisted with me. We went separate routs in the military, but he said it was rough when he got out. Doable but rough. He landed a good gig at a correctional facility and is moving his way up and told me to give him a call if I get out. Got that going for me lol. But I plan on staying in for a while. Unfortunately for me I'm in a position were I don't get to really do the job I enlisted for, and therefore have no working experience.

Stanger00

Established Member
It's not easy finding a job period. If you want to relocate then I can say you will have an easier time finding employment. I didn't retire but I did serve for 7 years and got out in 2010. Nearly 4 years later did I just barely land me a job that pays me equal to a 10 year E5 collecting BAS and BAH. I refused to relocate and go overseas for work and that is why I was underemployed for a couple years.

Good luck to whatever you all decide but if you can stay in I highly recommend you all do that.

Users who are viewing this thread