Retrofitting '13/'14 GT500 Bilstein Damp-Tronic's to any '07-'12 GT500

Goohead

Established Member
Just out of curiosity has anyone asked bilstein about a refresh? If the 2 control unit is identical can't it just be programmed to the gt500 damptronic specs?

Federico Garza

Established Member
Just out of curiosity has anyone asked bilstein about a refresh? If the 2 control unit is identical can't it just be programmed to the gt500 damptronic specs?

If Im not mistaken, and I will let Tob chime in , I think thats what he got, a one off/remaped/tweaked control unit to run the show.

Last edited:

Goohead

Established Member
Well I don't think bilstein would hurt at all since if we can duplicate the software everyone buying a set of these will be buying the bilstein ecu/wiring kit, just more money for them

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I talked to the bilstein guy at the mustang 50 th in Vegas, asked him when are they bringing this kit to the usa. He stated since the 2015 is going to be worl car maybe the Germans would be making more kits for are cars.

I am definitely interested in the system you have tob

I got a good smile from that and wondered if this was one of the gentlemen I spoke with at SEMA. The funny thing was, he put me in the position of trying to sell him the idea (which I rather enjoyed) and one of the arguments I made was for Bilstein to support the '15 with an effort such as this not only here but in Europe as well. Your interest is being noted!

I cannot say that the hardware/circuitry is 100% identical with certainty.

If Im not mistaken, and I will let Tob chime in , I think thats what he got, a one off/remaped/tweaked control unit to run the show.

You are not mistaken.

In general - Ford engineers tested the '13 preproduction models (at the Ring and elsewhere) with Bilstein shocks/struts that used the same PWM as many other Bilstein Damptronic units as used on BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, and Audi, that are available from Bilstein in aftermarket kits. For whatever reason, Ford decided to spec a Bilstein strut/damper that used differing amounts of "juice" for their production dampers. If they hadn't done this, anyone would be able to use the control module already produced by Bilstein. Numerous sources at Bilstein have confirmed that if you use the current aftermarket control module with the Ford production Bilstein dampers that you will indeed fry them.

Can we (not bilstein) duplicate the programming?

Now you're where I was when I was at the point of finding out about the explanation I gave above. Tell you what - it has only been a couple of weeks but I'll write a brief request to at least find out if this one now sits on the cutting room floor...

Goohead

Established Member
Hope I didn't come off as pushy I was trying to think about alternatives to the ecu

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I wrote a contact a week and a half ago and didn't hear back. As much as I'd like to fire off emails until I get a response, I won't do that. I would hope to know in advance of any formal release but it may not work out that way. The only thing I can do at present is wait. Rest assured that if you hear nothing for a few months that I'll be at the Bilstein booth at SEMA to find out who has a handle on this one.

Krn737

Proud To Serve
Established Member
I just found this thread and read from the beginning all the way through. Talk about being sad at the end when I found out that you still can't purchase all these parts. I've been researching alternatives to the SVTPP suspension on my 12. I was looking at the TEIN since they have their setup that sounds similar to the damptronic but I'd prefer the Bilstein solution. Either way, you can put me down as interested in this as well!

Last edited:

patrickshelby

Stay positive Jason. I haven't stopped digging.

;-)
I am definitely in for whatever would become available:
- A do it yourself kit with parts numbers and suppliers ( we already have the instructions :rolling:)
- A SVT kit
- A Bilstein S197 B16 iRC kit

Last edited:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I wondered how you've been Patrick as I haven't heard from you in a while. I hope your driveshaft install went well.

I'm here to assure you, if this thread doesn't pop up for a while - I haven't and wont forget about it. I'm trying to let the process happen without trying to prod anyone into doing it and I'll be the first to say that it isn't easy. I promise to report back the moment I hear anything that I can repeat.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
I wondered how you've been Patrick as I haven't heard from you in a while. I hope your driveshaft install went well.

I'm here to assure you, if this thread doesn't pop up for a while - I haven't and wont forget about it. I'm trying to let the process happen without trying to prod anyone into doing it and I'll be the first to say that it isn't easy. I promise to report back the moment I hear anything that I can repeat.

Don't_Stop_Believin'.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread