Retune after blower rebuild?

carguy96

Established Member
I have a ported Eaton that sounds like it needs a rebuild. After rebuilding it, will there be a reason to retune it, or can I just reinstall the blower and run it?
(possibly thinking of having Stiegemeier rebuild it)

96gt02

Established Member
You wont need a retune unless you change the snout gearing to make more boost.

carguy96

Established Member
no need to re-tune.

You look into Jokers (Jokerz?) performance as well.

Ok, well that's good as it'll save me some money there.
And I personally haven't heard/seen many people talk about Jokerz Performance for blower porting/services so I am under the assumption that either people have had poor experience with them or simply want Stiegemeier working on their blowers as they are so well known.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Ok, well that's good as it'll save me some money there.
And I personally haven't heard/seen many people talk about Jokerz Performance for blower porting/services so I am under the assumption that either people have had poor experience with them or simply want Stiegemeier working on their blowers as they are so well known.

you dont see much talk about working on eatons on here anymore at all. Stieg got themselves a pretty bad rep towards the end of the hayday of working on eatons. Im not sure if they voluntarily left this site or were asked to. I believe Jokerz is popular with the lightning and ctsv crowd. I had my blower from my lightning done by Stieg back in the day but from things Ive seen over the years I wouldn't use them today, but that's me

carguy96

Established Member
Yeah I notice that there isn't too much talk about Eatons anymore which is probably because all of those who did maxed them out and got bigger blowers, or people are keeping there cars with the stock blower.
If I had the funds, I would definitely be putting a different blower on my car.
I would like to know what people "have seen". Have people gotten their blowers back from Stieg and just had them lock up or somehow be down on power after putting the blower back on?
There is a guy selling a Jokerz brand Eaton on this site, but I noticed that no one seemed to be too interested in that vs the Posi Port or Stieg ones that come up for sale, so I got the impression that maybe there is something up with them.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I think another issue is cost. One guy on here was in his eaton for $2200 I think. That's used 2.3 territory. Unless you're hell bent on keeping the eaton for some reason it makes more sense to go with the 2.3. It gives you room to grow as well.

carguy96

Established Member
Well I know for half of that dollar figure or around there I can get my blower rebuilt and painted. I would love to have room to grow, but other financial obligations prevent me from going “all out” with my car.
I will probably wait until the end of winter and see what blowers are out there for sale.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Well I know for half of that dollar figure or around there I can get my blower rebuilt and painted. I would love to have room to grow, but other financial obligations prevent me from going “all out” with my car.
I will probably wait until the end of winter and see what blowers are out there for sale.
His was a rebuild along with a stage 7 billion porting. Just don't let them talk you into extra stuff like the venom cooler. You don't need it.

carguy96

Established Member
His was a rebuild along with a stage 7 billion porting. Just don't let them talk you into extra stuff like the venom cooler. You don't need it.

Yeah after being in contact with him, with my luck he’d get my blower and give me the whole “well you also need this, this and this” thing. I might just look for a good used Posi Port Eaton. I am not about to drop Whipple money into an eaton.

coposrv

Established Member
What ever happened to
Posi port? He seemed to have a great rep around here

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Mike Dj

Established Member
The only reason for a retune is if the blower didn't put out the amount of boost compared to after the rebuild. No boost change no retune.

carguy96

Established Member
The only reason for a retune is if the blower didn't put out the amount of boost compared to after the rebuild. No boost change no retune.

Makes sense to me. Is it a poor idea to only rebuild the snout of the blower if that is the trouble area (from what I can tell)? I figured it saves me the hassle of actually removing the blower because I can just pull the snout off.
And I doubt it'll make any more boost after replacing the bearings in the snout.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Makes sense to me. Is it a poor idea to only rebuild the snout of the blower if that is the trouble area (from what I can tell)? I figured it saves me the hassle of actually removing the blower because I can just pull the snout off.
And I doubt it'll make any more boost after replacing the bearings in the snout.
If that's all it is I don't see an issue. But you might want to talk to whoever will rebuild it. They might want to check case clearances or something.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
the only thing inside the case are the bearings at the rear of the rotor pack. The only thing I can see about pulling the snout on the car is have something to try and keep the remaining oil from getting all over the belts etc...

Also assuming a good tune and you dont have a maf/injectors/pumps teetering on the brink of maxed out changes in boost dont require a retune

carguy96

Established Member
If that's all it is I don't see an issue. But you might want to talk to whoever will rebuild it. They might want to check case clearances or something.

I was trying to see if I could do this the easy way with the least amount of effort, but it appears that there is one bolt near the bottom left that won't be able to come out all the way due to clearance between it and the coolant tube for the IC.
So I might just remove the whole blower then if I can't get the snout off.

carguy96

Established Member
the only thing inside the case are the bearings at the rear of the rotor pack. The only thing I can see about pulling the snout on the car is have something to try and keep the remaining oil from getting all over the belts etc...

Also assuming a good tune and you dont have a maf/injectors/pumps teetering on the brink of maxed out changes in boost dont require a retune

I thought the the front of the blower essentially encased the oil in the snout area and the snout itself can be removed without spilling oil everywhere.
Is this not the case?

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I thought the the front of the blower essentially encased the oil in the snout area and the snout itself can be removed without spilling oil everywhere.
Is this not the case?
I think he means that no matter how much oil you suck out theres always some left in the bottom. That oil is going to run out when you pull the snout.

Kinda like when you pull an engine. No matter how much coolant you drain theres always some hiding somewhere until you flip the block.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Is this not the case?

its been so long I really dont remember how it comes apart, maybe you can pull it that way. It's been like 8-10 years since I messed with one

Users who are viewing this thread