reverse lights not workin

paintballpyro1

Established Member
ok like the title says my reverse lights are not working but everything else does and i put new bulbs in and whatnot. is there a fuse for the reverse lights under the dash or in the engine bay? if there isnt how should i go about fixing it? could i just run some wires from the lights to somewhere to make it work? thanks

SVTCruiser

Established Member
i would check the fuses for the reverse lights..if im not mistaken the fog lights are also on the same fuse as reverse lights so check to see if they still work. the owners manual should give you the location of the fuse...

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
could i just run some wires from the lights to somewhere to make it work? thanks

Not spoken like a true mechanic, with the love of a Cobra. JK

I let my owner's manual go with my old Cobra, or I'd look it up for you. The OEM Ford Owner's Manual comes in very handy for things like that ...

http://www.helminc.com

1996 Mustang Owner Manual
Price: $16.00
In Stock

Media: Paper
Language: English
Part #: FCS1215096

Models and Years Covered

Factory issued glove box manual. Information within each vehicle specific manual has been developed by the OEM to give vehicle owners a basic understanding of the operation of their vehicle. Provides recommended oil for your vehicle, gas tank capacity, clock and radio setting, information about vital fluids, tires, routine maintenance and specific options your vehicle is equipped with. Contains information on the proper operation and care of the vehicle. Some Owner Guide kit also include Maintenance Schedules. Owner Guide supplements are available for specific options on certain vehicles and contain information describing the operation of these options. These are factory issued manuals.
Description:
Contains Basic Operational Information Safety Warnings Facts And Driving Tips.

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
Mike, I saw this info on Page 1 of this Forum, under a speedometer Post ... it may help you trace the wires.

i would check to see if the sensor and/or speedo gear on the transmission isn't bad. there should be two connections. one for the speedo and one for the reverse lights. check those.

SNAKEYE

Established Member
Fuse #1 in the Instrument Panel fuse panel serves the backup lights. You will find that your #1 fuse is okay because it also serves the air bag diagnostic monitor, the electronic flasher, the rear window defroster, and the convertible top switch (if so equipped), and you haven't mentioned any of those not functioning.

After the fuse in the circuitry come a couple of connectors (any of which could be corroded), and then the backup light switch. It is located on the left (driver's) side near the bottom of the tranny's main section (bellhousing forward, main section middle, tailsection rearward). The color of the wires going to it are purple/orange (from the fuse) and black/pink (to the backup lights). Check for +12V at the P/O wire with the ignition switched on. Check continuity of switch (short circuit with tranny in reverse, open circuit with tranny in any other position). Check for +12V on the BK/PK wire with the ignition on and the tranny in reverse. No continuity and/or no +12V on the BK/PK wire indicate a bad BU light switch, or bad mechanicals that operate from within the tranny.
From the switch the BK/PK wire goes to the rear, passing through a couple of connectors along the way (any of which could be corroded), until it reaches the trunk where it splits and goes to the individual backup lights. Then from the other side of the backup lights a ground wire (solid black) runs, would you believe, all the way forward to "Below rear of center console" (to quote the 'Grounds' location diagram '10-10' from the service manual). This point appears to be near the parking brake switch inside the car beneath the e-brake handle within the console.
You could test to eliminate the possibility of a bad ground by disconnecting the BK/PK wire in the trunk and applying a +12v source of power (long jumper wire from the (+) terminal of the battery) to the BU light side of the disconnected plug. If the light(s) go on the problem is in the BK/PK wire forward to the switch. If the light(s) do not go on the trouble is in the black wire forward to the ground connection, or the ground connection itself.
Get to it, you have some diagnostics to perform!

Users who are viewing this thread