Ride quality Boss vs Boss LS

HI RPM

Established Member
I'm looking to get into a 2013 Boss come spring. I'm trying to learn as much as I can about the differences between the two models.

I know they both have adjustable shocks, but have read that the LS's are stiffer.
My question, is there enough adjustment in the LS version to be as street friendly/ride wise as a regular Boss?? I won't be tracking the car. It won't be my daily driver either. Just a fun car to run in good weather and on week ends.

A black Boss LS would be my first choice, color wise. A regular Boss in SBY or RR would be my second (and more affordable) choice.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

KBBoss302

Established Member
Hello HI RPM - I have owned both and there isn't much of a difference in terms of ride. I tried different springs on each (Steeda Ultralites on Boss, FRPP "P" springs on LS) and wasn't super happy with either (the stiffer springs overpower the rebound damping of the OE dampers) so ended up putting KW V3s on my LS. Better ride yet stiffer, plus you can adjust them to be very soft if you wanted.

The LS is slightly louder because it has less sound insulation and no back seats to soak up cabin noise but it's not night and day.

You won't regret owning a Boss of either variety - they are just plain fun to drive! I am coming up on 6 years of ownership of my LS and can't imagine parting with it.

HI RPM

Established Member
KBBoss302, thanks for your input. That is exactly what I wanted to know.

I had a white 2012 Mustang GT. Brembo ,6 speed w/3.73s.
I liked the handling/responsiveness of that car. I was happy w/the Coyotes performance as well.
I ended up selling that car and purchasing a 2015 SRT Challenger w/an 8spd auto trans.
The Challenger was far more luxurious. Its 6.4 Hemi made it easily as fast/quick as the GT. .. but (sadly) not nearly as fun to drive. I know the Challengers auto trans (as good as it was) took most of the fun/involvement out of driving. I had lost my "MOJO". Plus, just the physical size of the car, made it less nimble. It had grip, but just wasn't as responsive.

I had three "wants" w/my old GT.
#1 Less brake dive during hard stops.
#2 A better/more positive feeling shifter. I had experienced miss shifts/high rpm lock out. Especially the 2nd to 3rd shift.
#3 More RPM.

I was hoping the Boss had these cures, but looks like a shifter and better clutch are popular mods for these cars.

I have not driven either Boss model, but comparing performance specs to my old GT, I don't see how I could be dissapointed.

Last edited:

KBBoss302

Established Member
I test drove a 2011 GT Brembo car before buying my 2012 Boss - it is hard to believe they are even the same basic platform and engine. The Boss engine feels so much more alive and energetic and the chassis, even stock, is so much more precise. The way the engine revs and revs (especially with a tune and rev limit raised) is just incredible. Everyone who has driven my car remarks on how exciting the car is to drive.

I am very familiar with the 6.4/8 speed auto as I have that in my Jeep SRT. It is great for a DD but yeah, nothing beats a good manual for enjoyment.

As for necessary Boss modifications, I would say this would be my list:

1) RST clutch (I tried everything first - Whiteline transmission bushing, 1st gen MGW, Blowfish bracket, stainless clutch line, even a Spec Stg 1 clutch - and only the RST finally allowed to me snap off 7900rpm shifts all day long with zero lockouts. I wish I had saved time/money and just done the RST first);

2) Watts link (I have the Fays2 alloy one and it settled the axle down more than LCA, UCA, PHB, etc did combined);

3) tires (the OE PZeros on the regular Boss are absolute junk, especially sub 80 degrees outside. PZero Corsas on the LS are a lot better but still not great. I have Michelin PSS now and they are excellent all the way around, although my car is a sunny day only car so can't comment on DD use. Actually better tires might be tied with #1 in terms of DO THIS FIRST);

Maybe not necessary, but there are some other things I'd recommend:

4) FRPP/Borla Touring axlebacks and AED tune (the snap, crackle, and pop the car does on upshifts and especially downshifts makes the car sound so cool and the increased response from the tune make the car feel even more aggressive. The axlebacks sound perfect - no drone, perfect deep tone even with the sidepipes wide open, no rasp);

5) KW V3s (the car is stiffer in terms or roll and dive but still rides better than OE - even when near the stiff end of the settings);

6) Dynotech driveshaft (perfectly balanced, even at, um, 'high' speeds, makes the car feel even more responsive).

Good luck!

John

Last edited:

KBBoss302

Established Member
You are very welcome! There is a lot more activity and Boss knowledge on another forum that specializes in Bosses and GT350s . . .

Docscurlock

Established Member
I think my next car will be a boss also, every one I have seen look and sound great. I was looking for a LS when I found my 350 slightly used and at a good price. Don't regret buying the 350 but the boss stays in the back of my mind. These mustangs are addictive.

KBBoss302

Established Member
The Boss 302 will feel like a World War 1 biplane in comparison to your 350 but that is part of the appeal. Old school looks and feel with fairly modern performance.

HI RPM

Established Member
KBBOSS302, What site would that be that is more Boss specific?

As far as exhaust restrictor plate orifice sizes, did you experiment or just leave the plates out altogether? I see a few guys running plates with 3/4 or 7/8 hole size and seem happy.

I know the questions I have should be split between at least three different forums, but I hate to NOT ask , with the knowledge that you have.

The McLeod RST clutch seems to be a popular choice. I used an older model McLeod (single disc) when I restored a 72 Vette a few years back, and was happy w/their products.

I was thinking of a Barton shifter, mainly because they offer it w/ a choice of 25%, 20% or only 15% reduction in throw. I don't really want a super short throw shifter. (Some shifters reduce it by as much as 40%.) Are there other shifters, besides MGW, that you would recommend? That old Vette w/ its Muncie M22 and Hurst shifter kinda set the bar for me. Fast, Easy, Positive shifting. It fet like you COULDN'T MISS. That's the feeling I am looking for.

To be fair, the Vette had a 350ZZ4 crate engine and fell on its face over 5800 rpm. So I never shifted at near the rpm potential of the Boss's 7500+rpm.

Last edited:

KBBoss302

Established Member
I think I might get in trouble on this forum if I link to another forum but just search for "Track Mustangs Boss GT350" and I'm pretty sure you'll find the other resource.

I did try the 7/8" discs and they sounded good but removing them altogether is what most of us ended up doing. Zero drone, awesome sound.

I would do the RST (or Exedy Hyper) first and then decide if you want to mess with the shifter itself. The stock Boss shifter is very nice overall but doing an MGW would probably be my next mod after the clutch.

HI RPM

Established Member
KBBoss302, Yet again, I thank you for your help. I will try and post the rest of my questions in the more appropriate sub forums. If I can get away w/ just a clutch and possibly shifter bushing/mount, I would be happy.

Last edited:

KBBoss302

Established Member
Hey you are very welcome, HI RPM!

Sorry I didn't answer you question earlier about the Barton - I have no experience with them but I have heard of others being very happy with them. Your Corvette sounds like it was a neat car for sure and yeah M22s were awesome feeling! Honestly, the stock Boss shifter has a decent feel and throw but you will see that it is mounted to the tunnel with a big soft rubber marshmallow and changing that out is a cheap and good way to tighten up the shifter a bit.

Just FYI if you are looking to buy a clutch, a lot of sales will be coming next month for Black Friday. McLeod usually does 15% off.

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
I’ve had my 2012 LS since new in October 2011, and the ride is very compliant.

I’ve been told that shock setting #5 on a regular boss is equal to shock setting #3 on an LS, if that gives you an idea on how much stiffer an LS is on 5.

HI RPM

Established Member
Hey you are very welcome, HI RPM!

Sorry I didn't answer you question earlier about the Barton - I have no experience with them but I have heard of others being very happy with them. Your Corvette sounds like it was a neat car for sure and yeah M22s were awesome feeling! Honestly, the stock Boss shifter has a decent feel and throw but you will see that it is mounted to the tunnel with a big soft rubber marshmallow and changing that out is a cheap and good way to tighten up the shifter a bit.

Just FYI if you are looking to buy a clutch, a lot of sales will be coming next month for Black Friday. McLeod usually does 15% off.

HI RPM

Established Member
I appreciate the heads upon the sale, but since I don't have the car yet, that would be putting the clutch before the Boss.

HI RPM

Established Member
I’ve had my 2012 LS since new in October 2011, and the ride is very compliant.

I’ve been told that shock setting #5 on a regular boss is equal to shock setting #3 on an LS, if that gives you an idea on how much stiffer an LS is on 5.

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
Usually 2 or 3 around town. The roads here in central Mass are pretty rough, and the softer settings are the best.

On the track, crank it to 4 or 5 depending on the track I’m at.

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
A friend of mine and he’s a member here is selling his 2012 LS, silver and red.

Want his contact info ? He’s just outside NYC.

Users who are viewing this thread