4 valves per cyl
2 turbos
AWD
5 speed manual trans
Active aero
4 wheel steering
Locking diff front and rear
Locking transfer case

This car was way ahead of its time. I worked for a Mitsu Dealership when that car came out and attended training for certs to work on the car.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
The 3000 GT VR-4 yes.
3.0 Liters
4 cams
4 valves per cyl
2 turbos
AWD
5 speed manual trans
Active aero
4 wheel steering
Locking transfer case

This car was way ahead of its time. I worked for a Mitsu Dealership when that car came out and attended training for certs to work on the car.

That car was stupid expensive

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

HuntFishCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Our local power company throttled Nest thermostat temps locally this week due to grid demand. Of course that’s for the idiots who signed up for a free unit with efficient billing. They got theirs!! Lololol dumbasses

matab14

pop up and do less....
Established Member
Yes the old Diamond Star Motors site if I am remembering correctly. Where the Eagle Talon, Chrysler Laser, and Dodge Stealth was built at.
This! Drove by it several times when it was still Mitshibishi several years ago.

One of the guys that works for me has a brother that moved up to Normal to work there. He visited him recently and said it's an absolute cluster there. Said they have some type of new ERP system that has serious issues and they are still are a far cry away from any type of mass production.

About a month ago I did sit on a Teams meeting with a robotics company out of Atlanta, Ga that was in the beginning stages of implementing a bunch of new Delta Robots for a new Rivian Facility there in ATL area. So I have to almost wonder if their time in IL is limited.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
The 3000 GT VR-4 yes.
3.0 Liters
4 cams
4 valves per cyl
2 turbos
AWD
5 speed manual trans
Active aero
4 wheel steering
Locking transfer case

Have a VR4 here at the shop right now. It has issues.
Screenshot_20220615-143301_Gallery.jpg

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
And more notably the 300GT VR4
Don't forget the Galant VR4 as well.

GVR4 was only imported from Japan and never produced in the USA.

You are thinking of the Eclipse, Talon, and Plymouth laser (DSM -- Diamond Star Motors).

But youre right in that the Galant vr4 was a BAD bitch. 4 door sleeper that was mechanically identical to the AWD Eclipse, Talon, and Laser.

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
First issue I see is that rear wing. Ugh...

It's got a clean body and interior and the engine has some decent parts but the rings on one cylinder are toast and he has massive oil leaks from excessive crankcase pressure. When he first brought it in for an oil leak we ended up finding that the timing belt could be slid back and forth on the gears using just your hand. He is lucky it didn't jump timing more than a few degrees and have a catastrophic failure. He had no idea until we found it in the inspection. Did all of that work only to find out it had bad rings. Told him it's time to do a built motor if he wants to make more power. All he's trying to do is get it to stop leaking so they can tune it but that ain't happening anytime soon!

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
It's got a clean body and interior and the engine has some decent parts but the rings on one cylinder are toast and he has massive oil leaks from excessive crankcase pressure. When he first brought it in for an oil leak we ended up finding that the timing belt could be slid back and forth on the gears using just your hand. He is lucky it didn't jump timing more than a few degrees and have a catastrophic failure. He had no idea until we found it in the inspection. Did all of that work only to find out it had bad rings. Told him it's time to do a built motor if he wants to make more power. All he's trying to do is get it to stop leaking so they can tune it but that ain't happening anytime soon!

They use a hydraulic timing belt tensioner that relaxes after a bit once the motor is shut off; hence being able to move the belt by hand.

As soon as you fire it up, tension is applied.

Doubtful it was close to skipping a gear, but I suppose it could have been overdue for a belt and tensioner.

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
They use a hydraulic timing belt tensioner that relaxes after a bit once the motor is shut off; hence being able to move the belt by hand.

As soon as you fire it up, tension is applied.

Doubtful it was close to skipping a gear, but I suppose it could have been overdue for a belt and tensioner.
I didn't know that was how that particular tensioner worked but we did confirm that intake was on point and exhaust was off a degree or two.

Zemedici

Established Member
The 3000 GT VR-4 yes.
3.0 Liters
4 cams
4 valves per cyl
2 turbos
AWD
5 speed manual trans
Active aero
4 wheel steering
Locking transfer case

Buddy of mine in high school had one, this was 2008?

There were like 8 gearheads at my high school including me, and we all loved it.

No one else had a damn clue what it was.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
The 3000 GT VR-4 yes.
3.0 Liters
4 cams
4 valves per cyl
2 turbos
AWD
5 speed manual trans
Active aero
4 wheel steering
Locking transfer case

And weighed a shit ton. I remember the seats in these. They still look incredible.

DSC_0802.jpg

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
And weighed a shit ton. I remember the seats in these. They still look incredible.

DSC_0802.jpg

When you have an active aero rear wing (moves up or down depending on speed so as to create more down force or better aero to cut through the air) All Wheel Drive, active 4 wheel steering, sequentchel turbo charging. I think it also had the ability to either rise or lower the front to go over speed bumps at least the last years ones have it.. No wonder they tip the scales at over 3,800 lbs.

muscleatsrice

Established Member
When you have an active aero rear wing (moves up or down depending on speed so as to create more down force or better aero to cut through the air) All Wheel Drive, active 4 wheel steering, sequentchel turbo charging. I think it also had the ability to either rise or lower the front to go over speed bumps at least the last years ones have it.. No wonder they tip the scales at over 3,800 lbs.

These things were very advanced! We replaced the clutch on my brothers and it had to be the worst job I had ever done. Total pita, never again lol. Fun to drive very annoying to work on.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
When the 3000 GT and Stealth RT came out they were way ahead of their time and bad ass. The Galant VR4 was imported here, my high school teacher had one. This was in 1990 or so.
I also had a '91 Plymouth Laser RS for 2 weeks. That car was fast as hell. But a total POS and I traded it back to the dealer for either my '92 F-250 or '94 Super Coupe.

Users who are viewing this thread