Road bikes, advice please.

TripleBlack

FIFAchamp
Established Member
The mtb thread led me to make this one...

For the past 2 months or so I've been getting in at least 30+ miles of riding a week, but the thing is that I've done it on a mountain bike on road tires... I'm going to sign up for the Los Angeles River ride and hopefully do the century ride BUT I know I sure as hell won't finish a century ride with a 21 speed mountain bike. (I have a '96 gt Pantera mtb, for those wondering.)

So my svtp brethren, do any of you have any advice on purchasing my first road bike? I don't just want it specifically for that ride, but I'm actually looking to get into the sport and hopefully in a year or so do some local CAT 5 events but nothing too serious.

First off my budget is $800, but I could go up to $1000 if it's really worth it.

I want a bike that doesn't have too much of an aggressive riding position but preferably one that I won't outgrow skill-wise in a year or two. I've read that solid entry level components are Tiagra but many go with the next up 105 components which I guess are more race 'worthy'.

I've looked at a few bikes and am actually leaning towards a '10 Cannondale Caand9 6 bike that I've seen on special from $1,200 to $799.

So what do you guys recommend? (btw my bike size is a 52) And any advice for a nooblet?

wjk

Established Member
Well, here's mine. Its nothing special but its very affordable. I purchased it about a year ago brand new for $150. It's a Diamondback RS Hybrid. So far its been a great bike and I would recommend it to anyone who just casually rides. Its very smooth too!

Bike.jpg

Coiled03

Established Member
I'd stick with one of the following brands:

1) Trek
2) Cannondale
3) Giant
4) Sekai

After that, choose whatever model fits you best. Or, if you're feeling flush with cash, have one custom fit to you.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
I ride a little(RAGBRAI) and picked up a Cannondale R500 Dark Matte Blue on craigslist last summer for $400 bucks. It came with new tires and a Fizik Wing-Flex Rondine seat(comfy) and bag. I spent $100 bucks getting it tuned at a bike shop. I've put about 900 miles on it since. Also just picked up a nearly new Cyclops Fluid trainer for $125 on craigslist;)

I went to a few bike shops and it seemed that name brand entry level bikes started around $650ish. If I wanted something decent, I'd have to spend at least $800 plus. So I searched on Craigslist because you can find people that are unloading last years bike for cheap, or don't have the time to ride and just need the money. Grantd my bike is older, but it's more than I need and works very well.

I'm not sure about the other bikes, but the thing I like about Cannondales is they hand grind all the welds smooth.

So, I may not be of much help, but hit a few shops and find the bike you like. Then check out Craigslist and see if you can find a used one cheaper.

bs46488

Established Member
Hey, I ride and live in Los Angeles. What part of LA do you live in? PM if you want to ride? I got multiple mtb's and a road bike.

I have a Specialized Allez. You can get them on Craigslist for anywhere around $600 - $1200 I'm 6'2", so the riding position can keep me on the bike for hours.

Personally I think you pay too much for the Cannondale name. My buddy has a Trek, but his budget was a little more than yours.

Don't buy a "hybrid" type of bike. If you have the room for 2 bikes, I would suggest having a dedicated mtb bike and road bike.

svtrookie

Established Member
My girlfriend competes in triatholons so she just purchased her first "good" road bike a few weeks ago. She started off with a cheaper road bike for the first few events, but wanted more speed. I am not sure of the brand, but it did not ride well for competition and speed.

I suggest talking to a professional who can size you up with the right bike. Frame weight and the components obviously play a huge part in the price.

I would take a look at the following brands: FUJI, SCATTANTE, and GT. She chose the GT GTRw series bike and paid about 1,000 bucks. It's a nice bike and isn't considered an all out road bike. If you are seroius about biking then a gookd bike will cost you at least 700 bucks unless you get used.

The road bike is a huge difference from a mountain bike. When I followed her on the crappy bike with my nice mountain bike I could barely keep her in my sites.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

TripleBlack

FIFAchamp
Established Member
I live near the south bay area so I typically ride from El Segundo to Will Rogers and back. The total distance is a little under 30 miles with little 15 mile trips done randomly on other days of the week.

And I'm pretty set on an actual road bike, my mtb w/ road tires won't cut it for longer rides.

Svtrookie I remember reading that GT bike were top notch in the 90's but then had really fallen off this past decade, BUT some of the newer road bikes are starting to have quality once again. I've seen a few that looked pretty good, and if it had the 105 groupset at a NICE price I'd get it. All of the other brands seem to start at around $1500 w/ that groupset.

I'll check into Fuji and Scattante as well, thanks.

4a7191a

Established Member
id check for a used one, alot of people buy them and sell them in a year and hardly use them. then with the saved cash, spend it on the bike. thats what i did. i was doing a 9 mile route 4 times a week til it got cold :(
i got a specialized allez

myersusaf

Go Hawks!
Established Member
id check for a used one, alot of people buy them and sell them in a year and hardly use them. then with the saved cash, spend it on the bike. thats what i did. i was doing a 9 mile route 4 times a week til it got cold :(
i got a specialized allez

This! I got a used trek 1500 a few years back and it has been a great bike. It was in great condition when i picked it up and i saved about $500 dollars.

Users who are viewing this thread