Roadcourse Recomendations

Wolfys 609 Racing

Hi everyone.
Im new to the site and looking for some help
I have a stock 1997 SVT Cobra. With a Ford Racing Clutch kit in it.
I been driving it on the streets for years now, but im looking to start taking it to some track days, and road racing, or SCCA events at my local road courses at New Jersey Motorsports Park (NJMP).
Im looking for some guidance from experienced road course junkies on proven recomendations for brakes, suspension, chassis, tires etc. upgrades
Im not planning on doing anything with the engine rite now till i hit my limits with my stock Cobra engine.
Thanks for your help

Last edited:

jaxbusa

Established Member
I don’t have knowledge of SCCA and I’ve only been on a track once. If I were you I’d contact your local SCCA and just spectate a race or two. Find out what helmets are recommend and get one. When you’ve learned how everything works and are ready to join in, change your brake fluid if it’s old, check your fluids and torque your lug nuts. I would run you car as is. Seat time will give you the best bang for the buck. When you decide that your car is holding you back I would do the following:

Full length subframe connectors
Spring, struts/shocks
Change all bushings

There is a section on SVT Performance under Special Interest And Events where they could give you better information than me. Welcome to the forum.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Slow 99

Nothing to see here
Established Member
go with hawk track pads for front and rear (ceramic pads if you want less brake dust). Suspension is really up to your preference, I recommend the standard route with coilovers (any brand just don't spend less than $800 unless you want mediocre-poor ride quality and handling). Pair that with front and rear strut bar supports, and new bigger sway bars couldn't hurt as well. I know you said no motor work, but a cold air intake will be better for it. Harness bar and harnesses paired with racing seats wouldn't hurt either. although they might be expensive, toyo r888's are very grippy on track and I highly recommend them. make sure all your fluids are topped off and you may want to change your oil before the track and install an oil cooler as well just to be safe. But most importantly don't try and take things too fast, feel the track out and just get comfortable. And don't forget to have fun

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
BRAKES are the 1st priority. I have had good luck with Padgid Yellow pads. Also VERY important, brake fluid. You need to FULLY flush the system with a high boiling point fluid, both wet and dry boiling points. This chart is handy for considering fluids:

Racing Brake Fluid - Pegasus Auto Racing Supplies

Tires would be next, you will have to decide how far you want to go, high performance street, or all in with a DOT race tire like the Hoosier R7

SCCA does have some street car events, but the many events are full on road racing (club racing), that is possibly not what your looking for.

Track Night in America

You should also look into HDPE events. These are oriented to novice drivers. This is one up in the North East, there are also others:
https://scda1.com

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
Brakes are #1. Flush out all the old fluid with something like ATE that you can buy from tire rack.com then you can build up your suspension and you will notice your times getting faster with each addition. It may even feel slower but it’s not, it just won’t be at the ragged end of control anymore. And have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

OX1

Established Member
If you've never been on track, I'd suggest this "paced" deal.
It's cheap and keeps you from going too crazy your first couple times out.

On the "experienced" level, they run upwards of 1:35/36 on Thunderbolt,
which is moving pretty good for newbs, IMO............

I also agree on good pads. Better off having great brakes
that might bail out your mistakes, vs going off track.

Drive at NJMP | Millville, NJ | New Jersey Motorsports Park

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
I recommend 3 things.

First, on your first few HPDE's or parking lot competitions just take it easy and have fun in your car as is. Get to know your car and it's limits. Deliberate and slow inputs are required. Try going as fast as you can while avoiding using your brakes, then add additional speed and applying the brakes as you improve. Needed upgrades will be very obvious to you once you are able to push your car to it's limits.

Second, tires or brake pads will likely be the first thing you hit limits on during HPDE's. Get a good high temp pad. I like CarboTech because you can run their street pad everyday and swap out to a track pad on the same rotors on fun day without bedding in.

Third, get to know the sounds of your tires at the limits. Squeaking tires are good, while howling tires mean you've exceeded their available grip. In between these two sounds is where you want to watch yourself (and have the most fun).

Squeezed out with help from the svtperformance.com mobile app

Last edited:

Wolfys 609 Racing

Ok thanks guys for your input.
1. A few of you metioned brake pads as a priority...
Just brake pads are sufficient?
I dont need to get different calipers or rotors at all?

2. Tires--i do have an extra set of rims so was thinking of having my street tires on the car . Then a set if rims/tires just for the track. Any other recomendations for track tires?

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
Stock rotors and calipers are OK at least to start (making the assumption they are in great shape). The initial objective with track pads and fluids is to have a SAFE track experience, so the pedal does not go to the floor, after the pads have disintegrated , or the fluid has boiled (quite possible that this would happen with "stock" pads and ESPECIALLY fluid). You have plenty car to get learning. Caliper and rotor upgrades can follow after you get your feet wet. Your at the top of a slippery slope (mods for track use), get some seat time 1st. Your car and driving style will let you know, what you "need" next.

Hoosier R7 for track tire.

Users who are viewing this thread