Rocker Arm Installation?

builttodrive

Established Member
I am rebuilding my 07 GT500 engine and I am in the reassembly stage. My question is does anyone have any tips or knowledge on rocker arm installation? I have my valves, lash adjusters/lifters, and cams installed but the valve spring tools I have are in the way when I'm trying to get the rocker arm over the valve.

69b302

Established Member
I am rebuilding my 07 GT500 engine and I am in the reassembly stage. My question is does anyone have any tips or knowledge on rocker arm installation? I have my valves, lash adjusters/lifters, and cams installed but the valve spring tools I have are in the way when I'm trying to get the rocker arm over the valve.

I got a tool from MMR that worked ok. It takes a while to install all 32 rockers, and best to take your time.

builttodrive

Established Member
Thanks guys. looks like I'll be ordering a tool. I didn't think much of it when I brought the heads down to the machine shop to have them looked at and they just buzzed the cam caps off and removed them that way. Is it possible to install the rockers first and sneak up on the cam caps lightly or is it too risky for possible damage?

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Seems a bit risky to me. If you have upgraded springs, I wouldn't do it.

builttodrive

Established Member
Yeah I don't want to risk damaging anything. It's all stock. Didn't have the extra cash to do cams/springs at this time. I guess I'll buy the tool and I will have it for when I do those. :rockon:

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Is there not a "base" position in which all valves are closed (i.e. no lobes are engaging the valves)? I ask because on lexus engines the cams are usually the last thing we install. We lay the rocker arms over the lash adjuster and valve stem and in the neutral position bolt the cams in. Once torqued down, we then time the cam gear to the chain. We do mark the timing of the gear to the chain prior to removal of the cams.

IS there no such procedure for our engines?

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Is there not a "base" position in which all valves are closed (i.e. no lobes are engaging the valves)?
No. I installed my followers on the intake or exhaust when the opposing valves were open. You're going to have to rotate the engine. You want the chains installed before you start installing the followers.

mobeydick

Established Member
I think I would use some protecting between the cam lobe and the screwdriver though!
https://youtu.be/mbqKWzhpsHQ

builttodrive

Established Member
I think I would use some protecting between the cam lobe and the screwdriver though!
https://youtu.be/mbqKWzhpsHQ

Haha I saw this vid. I'm not that brave. Also it didn't seem like I could get close enough to just slip the rocker over the lash adjuster. The spring needed more compressing than that. Not wanting to harm the cam lobe or anything else I decided to order the right spring compressor. Should be here today and I'll give it a try.

builttodrive

Established Member
If anyone was curious I bought the tool from freedom racing and it worked great! I only used the one attachment and just flipped it around to get to each valve.

Users who are viewing this thread