Roll fenders, new springs, or tire size?

CashMoneyKC

Established Member
Hi everyone so my first cobra is finally here and I’m so excited. I’m having a small issue with the springs being low which makes it scrape top of the tire, the exhaust pipes underneath or trans cover plate not sure which. It rarely happens but it happens lol. On a 3 hour highway ride home from picking it up it happened once. I’m looking at ways to address this. It has eibach pro springs which are great they ride amazing. I want to keep them honestly. The tires are 18 305/35 nt555 and I could goto a 30 series tires or a 295. I want r888’s. Would putting in ISO’s help it just enough? Not sure if that would help. I could roll the fenders as last resort but many say that’s why they would do if this was their situation. PS the car will need rear tires anyways and I want to get wheels for it so thought if I’m already upgrading those I could fix this issue with tire size. Any advice or thoughts please let me know. Thanks. The stance is perfect and I really wish I could keep as is.

PC03GT

Established Member
Had the same problem, mine had cut stock springs. I did h&r race springs and new iso's doesn't rub anymore

PC03GT

Established Member
Hi everyone so my first cobra is finally here and I’m so excited. I’m having a small issue with the springs being low which makes it scrape top of the tire, the exhaust pipes underneath or trans cover plate not sure which. It rarely happens but it happens lol. On a 3 hour highway ride home from picking it up it happened once. I’m looking at ways to address this. It has eibach pro springs which are great they ride amazing. I want to keep them honestly. The tires are 18 305/35 nt555 and I could goto a 30 series tires or a 295. I want r888’s. Would putting in ISO’s help it just enough? Not sure if that would help. I could roll the fenders as last resort but many say that’s why they would do if this was their situation. PS the car will need rear tires anyways and I want to get wheels for it so thought if I’m already upgrading those I could fix this issue with tire size. Any advice or thoughts please let me know. Thanks. The stance is perfect and I really wish I could keep as is.
Congrats and where's the pics??

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
well Id say first you need to figure out what's actually hitting. It shouldnt be hard to find scrape/rub marks, jack it up and pull the rear wheel if you dont see any marks on the tire

I will say R888Rs (and I would assume regular R888 as well) run wide. I had 2 or 3 different brands of 315 tire on my Mach and the R888Rs were the only one to get hit by my already rolled fenders. I had the shocks on full soft so it body rolled turning into the driveway too quick.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I'm not sure how the 18" tires compare to the 17", but I recently went with 315/35/17 R888R's and they would rub on a good sized bump if I had a full tank of gas and someone else in the car. Not bad, but enough to make me not want to have it happen again. My fenders are already rolled. They're not all the way flat and I'm sure going that far would have helped. I ended up raising the coilovers a touch and I haven't rubbed since I think. And I've been able to get over speed bumps without dragging my mid pipe.

I wouldn't say rolling the fenders is a last resort. I think it's a good idea unless the car needs to stay 100% stock. At the very least it moves the sharp edge of the fender away from the tire so if it does rub it hits a rounded corner instead.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I'm not sure how the 18" tires compare to the 17", but I recently went with 315/35/17 R888R's and they would rub on a good sized bump if I had a full tank of gas and someone else in the car. Not bad, but enough to make me not want to have it happen again. My fenders are already rolled. They're not all the way flat and I'm sure going that far would have helped. I ended up raising the coilovers a touch and I haven't rubbed since I think. And I've been able to get over speed bumps without dragging my mid pipe.

I wouldn't say rolling the fenders is a last resort. I think it's a good idea unless the car needs to stay 100% stock. At the very least it moves the sharp edge of the fender away from the tire so if it does rub it hits a rounded corner instead.

mine aren't rolled flat but I had to roll them further toward the front of the car, almost to that first spot weld, just something else to look at

CashMoneyKC

Established Member
well Id say first you need to figure out what's actually hitting. It shouldnt be hard to find scrape/rub marks, jack it up and pull the rear wheel if you dont see any marks on the tire

I will say R888Rs (and I would assume regular R888 as well) run wide. I had 2 or 3 different brands of 315 tire on my Mach and the R888Rs were the only one to get hit by my already rolled fenders. I had the shocks on full soft so it body rolled turning into the driveway too quick.
It’s got marks on the tire where that hits. The noise underneath the previous owner said it’s the cover plate over the transmission. That’s what I know so far

Users who are viewing this thread