Rolling odometer forward

87lc2

Established Member
Has anyone done this on a 96-97 Cobra cluster? My car has 110k and got a used cluster out of a 40k car and want to roll it forward to match my mileage. If anyone has any idea on how to do this, I would appreciate it.

RIO RED SNAKE

4:10's = The Suck
Established Member
i think yu can do it by removing the clear plastic lense on it, with those 8-10 torx bit heads, then just roll it forward with your finger...just a guess

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
Im sure you can spin it from the back, maybe using a drill or something so you can spin it quickly

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
Why are you changing the cluster? Depending on what you are trying to do, you have several "mix and match" options.

87lc2

Established Member
I know you cant just spin the number, and it doesnt come apart from the back. Also, it is electronically controlled in the car so there is nothing you can spin on the back to get it correct. These cars dont use speedo cables.

mwolson, changing the cluster because the speedo gauge is intermittent, I have to constantly tp on it to get it to read correctly. Also the fuel gauge is quite flaky. Im pretty sure the problem is the printed board on the back. I know older cars you can take the odometer out as an assembly and swap it between two cluster, can you do that with these? If not, what are my options? Really want it to read the correct mileage when I install it.

goat-ee

Established Member
I know you cant just spin the number, and it doesnt come apart from the back. Also, it is electronically controlled in the car so there is nothing you can spin on the back to get it correct. These cars dont use speedo cables.

WRONG, it's been a few years since I have done it so I don't have a How-To, but the gears do come out from the back. There is a gear that commonly breaks that spins the odometer and I had to replace it. And I remember at the time thinking how easy it would be to roll the odo forward or backward.

But your right in looking to Mark for advise. He is THE authority :bowdown: and if he says I am incorrect I will shut my trap right now!!

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
I am pretty sure they don't make it easy to change the odometer so it isn't easy to tamper with them.

If you were just wanting a gauge face change, you could have swapped the faces. But since you need a new speedometer.

I made a calibrator that uses an old PC to generate speedometer signals. But I just calculated that at simulating 150MPH, it will take over 19 days of continuous running to add 70K miles to it.

You might want to check with a speedometer shop to see if they know how to change it without breaking it. I have used Palo Alto Speedometer here in Northern California before with good luck for my Sunbeam Tiger.

I have a working spare 97 Cobra cluster with 111,544 on the clock if you want to trade. I need a fully functional one for my lab because I am developing a circuit to upgrade the clusters to have calibrated temperature, voltage and oil pressure gauges as opposed to the "Low, NORMAL, High" ones we currently have.

87lc2

Established Member
A trade may be the best option if you have on with that mileage. Mine reads about 110500, so its close enough. Reason I bought a low mileage one in teh frist place though was so I dont run into these problems again. The one you have works well? Speedo doesnt fluctuate between 0-10 mph or anything? Thats one annoying problem with mine.

One last thought, there is no way to swap odometers between the two as a unit? That would be perfect if there was a way to do it.

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
I have a spare V6 cluster I will tear apart tonight and let you know what I find.

My spare Cobra cluster came from a totaled 97. Everything in it worked perfectly on the bench with my test equipment.

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
If this works, maybe I could get you to read this thread ([ame=http://forums.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1088362]Let's make the stock oil pressure gauge real - Corral Forums[/ame]) and then donate your old flakey cluster to me for use in developing upgraded gauge clusters for our cars. Or check out Accutach Home for more details about my project. The more clusters I have for testing, the better the products will be.

Toasty

Established Member
Has anyone done this on a 96-97 Cobra cluster? My car has 110k and got a used cluster out of a 40k car and want to roll it forward to match my mileage. If anyone has any idea on how to do this, I would appreciate it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but changing the odometer is against the law in most jurisdictions, no?

Just keep your original cluster, and note at what mileage the replacement cluster was at when you installed it.

87lc2

Established Member
Thank you very much. When I get around to doing it, You can have the old cluster,I have no use for it.

Toasty, I thought about doing that because it would be easier that way but try explaining that to someone buying the car, dont think it will go over well with most people. I would rather it just read the correct mileage and be done with it.

Users who are viewing this thread