Roush 2.3L S/C Kit question

drh_5.0

Established Member
Was looking between a few different supercharger kits and I originally wanted a Paxton/Vortech but think I may change my mind towards a Roush 2.3L or VMP 2.3L.

I don't know much about either of these kits yet other than what vendors like American Muscle post. Anyways to my question.........

I am curious seeing how photos show what looks to be a new radiator for the Roush?? Seen on the bottom left here:
http://images-ftp.americanmuscle.co...,69141_alt3,69141_alt4&selectedImg=69141_alt4

I have already upgraded to an aluminum Ford Racing radiator that wasnt cheap...Can I use that one or do I HAVE to use what Roush gives in the kit? (IF that even is a replacement radiator lol)

Thanks in advance.

pickles

Established Member
It's a heat exchanger. Basically it's own "dedicated" radiator for the blower, It does not replace the radiator for your engine

drh_5.0

Established Member
It's a heat exchanger. Basically it's own "dedicated" radiator for the blower, It does not replace the radiator for your engine

Thank you, I feel foolish...I just was reading that on Beefcake Racing. It looked to small in picture to be a radiator but American Muscle's info says radiator so I was thrown off. Appreciate the help.

Anybody running the Stage 2 set-up (85 mm pulley) and with LT's??? How much power/torque you put down? How much boost? And what time of gas?

Looking to do 93 octane with LT's and the boost level the 85mm pulley will get me ( I think 9psi? )

drh_5.0

Established Member
Also I have the Boss Engine oil cooler which would been a small problem if I want with Paxton or Vortech......Does the Roush's component routing get affected by the Oil cooler?

pickles

Established Member
Thank you, I feel foolish...I just was reading that on Beefcake Racing. It looked to small in picture to be a radiator but American Muscle's info says radiator so I was thrown off. Appreciate the help.

Anybody running the Stage 2 set-up (85 mm pulley) and with LT's??? How much power/torque you put down? How much boost? And what time of gas?

Looking to do 93 octane with LT's and the boost level the 85mm pulley will get me ( I think 9psi? )

Haven't dyno'd mine so I can't provide numbers. With 85mm, JLT intake, and LT's I see around 7-7.5 lbs of boost. (boost can vary depending on tuner as well) Everything fit 100% perfect, oil cooler was not in the way of anything.

drh_5.0

Established Member
Haven't dyno'd mine so I can't provide numbers. With 85mm, JLT intake, and LT's I see around 7-7.5 lbs of boost. (boost can vary depending on tuner as well) Everything fit 100% perfect, oil cooler was not in the way of anything.

You even have basically the same setup I'm looking at niceee. That is the boost level I was actually hoping to be around too. Would most likely go with a Lund Tune. Good to know the oil cooler wont be a problem! Which JLT do you have the "Big Air" or "SUPER Big Air" ?

pickles

Established Member
You even have basically the same setup I'm looking at niceee. That is the boost level I was actually hoping to be around too. Would most likely go with a Lund Tune. Good to know the oil cooler wont be a problem! Which JLT do you have the "Big Air" or "SUPER Big Air" ?

The shitty big air. I don't recommend the JLT, personally. The roush intake is going to be more than sufficient for your boost/hp level, and no fitment/leaking problems.

drh_5.0

Established Member
The shitty big air. I don't recommend the JLT, personally. The roush intake is going to be more than sufficient for your boost/hp level, and no fitment/leaking problems.

I will keep that in mind. And I'd rather keep the boost lower anyway. Figure the JLT must give at least +0.5 lb of boost. Curious who did your tune too?

pickles

Established Member
I will keep that in mind. And I'd rather keep the boost lower anyway. Figure the JLT must give at least +0.5 lb of boost. Curious who did your tune too?

I really can't see the JLT providing a higher boost # over the roush equivalent. AED tuned, but wouldn't hesitate to let Lund or JPC tune it. All of them are great at what they do.

Beefcake is a vendor for Roush kits and will probably be the best bang for the buck. VMP is another good option, but you will be doing some cutting to fit the larger heat exchanger it comes with.

drh_5.0

Established Member
And one last question, are you using the 47lb injectors the kit comes with or a Fuel Pump Booster? I was thinking I would need to upgrade to 60+ lbs but I doubt Roush would give injectors that couldn't hold up...even the Stage 3 has 47's.

Justin@VMP

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
The JLT 123mm "big air" is fine for most everyone, I've made 800rwhp on it.

Regarding the cutting for the VMP HE, if you have an 11-12 GT, i can give you spacers to move the stage 1 kit's HE back so no trimming of the lower grill is required.

If you opt for stage 2 or 3 with our huge VMP HE then trimming is required only for 11-12, 13-14 have a lot more room under the grill.

drh_5.0

Established Member
With the 85mm you'll be fine on 47's & no BAP
Thanks man you been a big help! Hope to pull the trigger on a S/C kit soon!

The JLT 123mm "big air" is fine for most everyone, I've made 800rwhp on it.

Regarding the cutting for the VMP HE, if you have an 11-12 GT, i can give you spacers to move the stage 1 kit's HE back so no trimming of the lower grill is required.

If you opt for stage 2 or 3 with our huge VMP HE then trimming is required only for 11-12, 13-14 have a lot more room under the grill.

Thanks Justin, will look into those options too!

bmyles

Established Member

Lol I told you , but I agree the roush actually fits like it should and you can see why it's more money when you put in on. The jlt is a turd on an other wise great kit. The big heat exchanger from vmp fit my car (2013) fine. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409811810.754990.jpg

Last edited:

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
Dyno'd mine this spring with a 85mm pulley, long tubes, catted X pipe' JLT CAI on 93. Made 575 to the wheels in an auto. Would be more like 600whp in a stick. I run an 82mm now.
I have the Roush stage 2. The VMP is just a Roush with improvements & refinements...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 489

bmyles

Established Member
I made 558 on the 85 mm pulley dead stock other than the blower. I am running the 82 now and cat deletes . I ll throw it on the dyno before the snow flys here and see what it does. On 91 btw

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
I think the JLT looks sexy! I've had no problems with it...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 430

Users who are viewing this thread