Roush TVS 79mm and 82mm pulley numbers?

by9468840

Established Member
I'm installing roush tvs (85mm 575hp) in my 11 M6.
Got a tune from VMP and 82mm pulley.
I recently ordered a KB BAP (40amp) and I'm thinking of trying 79mm too.
I'm searching for Dyno numbers with roush 79 and 82mm with stok airbox.
Found some on the Internet but I would like to see more. Anyone here running the same setup? Could you please post your Dyno numbers?

I'm especially interested in 79mm pulley. Do you guys think I will be ok with 90mm idler, bap and safe on AFR? I don't want to install a CAI for now and rather just pulley the car as Justin from vmp advised.

Thanks!

Last edited:

blkstang302

Established Member
The limits on the supplied 47lb injectors are:

82mm and jlt

Or

79mm

I have 82mm and jlt making high 500's to the wheels

Nocturnal'14

'18 ROUSH RS2 #18-0103
Established Member
Correct me if I am wrong but I do believe the 575hp (Phase 1 kit) comes with a 90mm pulley.
The 625hp (Phase 2 kit) comes with the 85mm Pulley.

The Phse 3 kit has the 80mm pulley.

by9468840

Established Member
Nope. 575 comes with 85 and 625 just adds a cai and a new tune to it. 675 comes with 80mm and cai. I'm getting the 575/85 with 82 and 79 pulleys from vmp and their tune. I'm not a fan of cai and the whine it makes. So I will stick to the air box.

I am just a little worried if 79 would be too much for the stock engine. I am looking for some feedback on dyno numbers and drivability. If 79 adds just 15-20 rwhp more and similar torque maybe it is not worth it. As far as I know ever psi added exponentially contributes to heat soak.it would be nice hear some feedback from daily 79mm drivers.

JerryC

Established Member
82mm and airbox, K&N filter, Roush AB's, Nitto 285/18 555's on heavy wheels, everything else stock.
524hp/497tq with 93 octane (10% alcohol). Dynos are different so it's hard to compare, plus add in DA and you can be all over the place with numbers.

With DR's it ran the times in my sig.

Depending on the DA you run the 79mm without a BaP or bigger injectors and the stock airbox. Make sure you've got enough octane if the AFR leans out. Mine was good in the summer with the 79, but leaned out more than I liked in the winter with the dense air.

NickSezz

Established Member
Correct me if I am wrong but I do believe the 575hp (Phase 1 kit) comes with a 90mm pulley.
The 625hp (Phase 2 kit) comes with the 85mm Pulley.

The Phse 3 kit has the 80mm pulley.

Those are the Roush specific pulleys. The 82 and 79mm are aftermarket.

jojobee

Established Member
Nope. 575 comes with 85 and 625 just adds a cai and a new tune to it. 675 comes with 80mm and cai. I'm getting the 575/85 with 82 and 79 pulleys from vmp and their tune. I'm not a fan of cai and the whine it makes. So I will stick to the air box.

I am just a little worried if 79 would be too much for the stock engine. I am looking for some feedback on dyno numbers and drivability. If 79 adds just 15-20 rwhp more and similar torque maybe it is not worth it. As far as I know ever psi added exponentially contributes to heat soak.it would be nice hear some feedback from daily 79mm drivers.

If you ask Justin he will tell you that a bap is not needed and injectors are a better idea.
Without fuel there is a very small difference between the 79mm and 82mm output. I've seen a couple of dyno sheets that shows this.

Personally i'm running the 82mm with the Roush cai and put dowm 566rwhp on a Mustang dyno.

I have the ID1000, no bap and with my setup Justin confirmed that i can safely go as low as the 75mm pulley.

I know JLT made the tests with various pulley and they had no slipping issues until they got to 75 or 69 if i remember correctly.

alex12gt

Established Member
With stock pulley and jlt I put down 575 and I ran the 79mm with 90mm idler at almost 12 lbs but never dynoed it now I'm going 72mm :)

prn1972

Established Member
Roush TVS w/82mm, Posi ported elbow & TB, JLT big air intake, 47lb injectors, Roush AB, VMP tune, put done 599rwhp & 526rwtq on one dyno & 550rwhp & 490rwtq at another, same setup & both dynojets.

You can run the 79mm with the 47lb injectors just set limiter at 7100 becaue the injectors are at their max & get lean on the high end, this is per Justin, so the injectors are the first thing to give up so the BAP will do you no good & is not needed.

Going from a 82mm to 79mm is notworth it to me, its only half a pound of boost, thats why im going with 72lb injectors & 75mm pulley

REDS197

Established Member
The boost-a-pump and 79mm are safe. If you look at vmp website it explains this. I ran a 79mm pulley and 90mm idler with 0 issues.

zachcrosen

Established Member
According to Justin, I am safe to run the 75mm pulley with ID725s only, without a BAP. Thats what my setup that I am installing is.

by9468840

Established Member
I don't get it. I need to read more about fuel pump tech. Injector
Size is the capacity and fuel pump voltage is the power. I don't understand how larger injectors are ok if you don't have the voltage to pump enough fuel? Or how more
Voltage is ok if you are physically restricted with injector flow rate? There is an interesting article about this at kenne bell. I'm gonna read that tonight. Meanwhile I think I will give 82mm a try and see the results before upgrading to 79. I have bap just for sake of having it since I still don't understand the purpose of it. I only bought it coz everybody has one :)

zachcrosen

Established Member
I was going to get one too but when justin told me I would be fine, I decided not to buy one. He does this stuff for a living and im going on his experience and knowledge.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

grnenvy

Established Member
I have been on Justins dyno a couple times and the diff between the
82mm and 79mm was 5-8 rwhp. The tq was better around 10-15RWHP across the RPM with the stock air box and K/N.
The tq does hit faster with the smaller pulley. IMOP in the summer on the street I don't think the 79mm is worth the extra heat soak and possible timing retard required to run the smaller pulley. Also with 47s u could run into a problem if u get bad gas at the pump.
If your running a 79mm before going smaller u may want to install a better flowing intake system or do the trick I did with the factory air box. I think at a certain point u need to find the happy medium between blower heat soak and intake air flow.
I'm talking about a street car not a car that gets cool downs between runs.
Also if your going to run that smaller pulley I would recommand the upgraded injectors that VMP sells there awesome. No need for a voltage booster with the inj unless your pushing 650rwhp plus.
My car runs and idles perfect with the big inj.

Last edited:

by9468840

Established Member
What airbox trick is that?

I have been on Justins dyno a couple times and the diff between the
82mm and 79mm was 5-8 rwhp. The tq was better around 10-15RWHP across the RPM with the stock air box and K/N.
The tq does hit faster with the smaller pulley. IMOP in the summer on the street I don't think the 79mm is worth the extra heat soak and possible timing retard required to run the smaller pulley. Also with 47s u could run into a problem if u get bad gas at the pump.
If your running a 79mm before going smaller u may want to install a better flowing intake system or do the trick I did with the factory air box. I think at a certain point u need to find the happy medium between blower heat soak and intake air flow.
I'm talking about a street car not a car that gets cool downs between runs.
Also if your going to run that smaller pulley I would recommand the upgraded injectors that VMP sells there awesome. No need for a voltage booster with the inj unless your pushing 650rwhp plus.
My car runs and idles perfect with the big inj.

Users who are viewing this thread