• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

Router suggestions

Discussion in 'Road Side Pub' started by Coiled03, Nov 18, 2020.

1. Coiled03

Coiled03 Well-Known Member Established Member

I finally told Comcast/Xfinity to **** off yesterday, and cut the cord. At the same time, I signed up for fiberoptic internet. As part of all this, I can no longer use the cable modem/router combination I was using because it uses co-ax cable, whereas the fiberoptic modem doesn't.

So, I'm going to have to buy a router, it looks like, and I need some suggestions. I'm looking for:

1) Coverage for a 4-bedroom, two story house with a basement; about 2500 ft^2 total, the vast majority in the upper two levels.
    2) I'd like around 1500 Mbps though more would be better.
    3) A USB port for a poor man's NAS. I'd prefer USB 3.0, but would settle for 2.0.
    4) Parental controls built in. I like Circle for this, but I think there are other options.

Since I cut the cord, primary uses will be web browsing, and streaming TV/movies, if it matters.

The other option, I guess, is to just use the pods/extenders my ISP offers, and find another way to set up the NAS. I'm just not familiar with a way to do that without a router that's not much more expensive and complex.

Thanks!

2. 7upstang

7upstang Active Member Established Member

I went with the Eero Mesh routers and have been extremely happy, way faster than my old Comcast setup.

3. hunterp

hunterp Well-Known Member Established Member

I'm liking Asus routers at the moment. You can also buy more than one and create a mesh system to cover larger areas. I can't speak to parental control features.

4. 03cobra#694

03cobra#694 I Have LL’s Hammer Staff Member Super Moderator

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
    13COBRA likes this.
  5. Ohio Snake

Ohio Snake Well-Known Member Established Member

Router: Netgear Nighthawk Router Series. Add the matching mesh router for whole house coverage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

L8APEX likes this.
  6. 03cobra#694

03cobra#694 I Have LL’s Hammer Staff Member Super Moderator

Where's my link? lol

7. L8APEX

L8APEX Well-Known Member Premium Member Established Member

I and several other people have had great results with Netgear Nighthawks and Orbi routers.

8. Blown 89

Blown 89 Well-Known Member Established Member

quad and Dr. Gonzo like this.
  9. Dr. Gonzo

Dr. Gonzo We're in Bat Country Established Member

10. Machdup1

Machdup1 Well-Known Member Premium Member Established Member

This.

Here is a great home setup:

Unify USG
    Unify POE switch
    (2) Unify PRO-AC AP’s
    unifi cloud key
    Small UPS

Be careful with your edge gateway/router selection as many are not designed to push full 1Gbps.

It sucks to pay for a high speed connection and your edge device bottlenecks your performance.

11. jmsa540

jmsa540 Well-Known Member Established Member

12. delvin.a

delvin.a Well-Known Member Premium Member Established Member

I stumbled on the thread and now I’m an hour deep into learning what all that stuff is, I predict soon I’ll be many dollars deep into a new home setup. Thanks... I think? lol

13. CobraBob

CobraBob Authorized Vendor Premium Member Established Member Single Barrel Sirs

I HIGHLY recommend Eero, as well. I've had mine for about 2 years now and love the mesh setup. Solid product. Great support. I have a ton of stuff attached to it. Two TV streaming Netflix and Amazon Prime, iPad, two iPhones, PC, MacBook Pro 16, Nest security (5 devices), Oppo 4K disk player, Denon home theater receiver, Apple watch, and probably more. Solid strong signal all the time. I like that they push updates automatically. Pretty much install and forget they're there.

My last router was a Netgear top of the line unit. I didn't handle our WiFi load nearly as well as the Eero mesh system.

14. specracer

specracer SVTOA MCA Premium Member

FYI, WiFi 6 is JUST around the corner (actually its out, but not a ton of hardware with it yet, Eero and Ruckus come to mind)

15. Blown 89

Blown 89 Well-Known Member Established Member

You will be glad you did. I measure my uptime in years now. Every problem I've ever had with wireless literally disappeared overnight.

delvin.a likes this.
  16. IronSnake

IronSnake Beers for the boys Established Member

I've had solid success with the Nest Mesh setup from google. Our house despite being newer wasn't networked very well so i'm back fitting it.

The main wired router/node is upstairs, and then I have another wired node downstairs that is connected via Cat 5e. It acts as a "slave" node to the master node upstairs. Then I have an additional wireless node that pickups the downstairs router and extends the signal into the garage/backyard/porch. Basically a repeater.

It fixed most of my dropped wifi issues and I like how flexible it is. Whenever we move I can just set it up in the new house and have a strong network.

17. AustinJ427

AustinJ427 Well-Known Member Established Member Beer Money Bros.

I have a garbage centurylink C1000 at my place, I need to upgrade too.

I, unfortunately, don't know what any of this shit means in this thread.

18. DriftwoodSVT

DriftwoodSVT 2020 F250 7.3L Tremor Established Member

Haven't heard that name in years. They are still in business?

19. DSG2003Mach1

DSG2003Mach1 Premium Member Premium Member Established Member Single Barrel Sirs

i think my cable modem is a Motorola I bought a few years ago.

The next time I need to upgrade or replace I'll definitely be looking at brands like Ubiquiti

20. quad

quad Well-Known Member Established Member

Yep I have heard good things about Ubiquiti. I have a mix of Cisco and Asus routers in the house. I use the secondary routers as wireless access points. They have a hardwired connection back to the main router. The main router is wired into the ATT fiber modem / router. I have my wife's work computer plugged into a second router that ATT provided which is in turn plugged into the ATT fiber modem / router. I don't want her IT support staff to see my computers. That's why it is on a different network, but sharing the same internet access.