RSP, Help me out with a Fox purchase!

boatcop1

Established Member
Hey guys, I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on this Fox. I've never been much of a vert guy but this thing is too clean too pass up. I already spoke with the owner and I'm going to look at it on Monday with cash in hand.

Couple things, the car now has a chromed Holley Systemax intake on it. Yes I will swap out the taillights and headlights for stockers. Car needs relatively nothing. Engine is still in break in period. Has a built rear with 3.27's and disk brakes. New top. Zero rust and he's the 2nd owner who did all the work to it.

What do you guys think? Good price? I have a slightly different number in my head but I was curious as to what other's may think.

Here is the original add:

1992 mustang lx 5.0

Oh and we all know it's not pushing 600 hp. I talked to him about that.

Also comes with a custom stereo and sub and amps worth a few grand anyway.

Some more pics he sent me.

226070_1982946053296_1527164_n-1.gif

228906_1982944213250_881258_n.gif

284371_1982946893317_4630710_n.gif

284616_1982942093197_3246146_n.gif

Cheers:beer:

truefiveo

Established Member
Have you test drove and seen it in person?

If someone fibs and exaggerates on HP numbers what makes you think they aren't fibbing about other details???

People always fib about parts being new and engines being rebuilt.
Unless he has receipts for all then nice find!

boatcop1

Established Member
Nope, going on Monday to look at it and drive it. He states he has 16k in reciepts, that dont really matter unless it passes my sniffer test which wont be until Monday. With everything being legit what value would you put on it? If you dont mind me asking.

Qwk GT

Established Member
It been forever since I've owned a fox, so not sure about the price. Bored 30 over, so its what, a 306 with a Vortech. If its got good heads and a cam, I've seen similar setups get close to 500rwhp.

Either way, make sure you get the receipts. If its on a stock block, depending on the setup, you'd be close to the blocks limits.

Not a fan of verts, especially foxs, but it does look nice.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
So it's a heads/cam/intake with probably 14psi thrown at it. That's good for 600 crank thus about 510 to the wheels. Either way, you need to make sure the tune is dead on. At that horsepower range, if it's not, you can split the block right down the middle.

Oh, and get more into as to what a "treme trans" is. I wouldn't buy the car without getting up under it, and seeing the metal ID tag on the trans to identify which model of tremec it is. If it's a t5 or a t5z, it's on borrowed time. A tremec 3550 still isn't that much better. An old school TKO would be ideal, or a newer tremec 600. Another way to help identify the trans would be the bolts for the shifter. A t5 has 4. Any tremec has 6, the newer tremecs with the front 2 being more close together than the rest.

Last edited:

boatcop1

Established Member
It been forever since I've owned a fox, so not sure about the price. Bored 30 over, so its what, a 306 with a Vortech. If its got good heads and a cam, I've seen similar setups get close to 500rwhp.

Either way, make sure you get the receipts. If its on a stock block, depending on the setup, you'd be close to the blocks limits.

Not a fan of verts, especially foxs, but it does look nice.

Correct. it is a 306 and he has all shop reciepts for the work performed.

So it's a heads/cam/intake with probably 14psi thrown at it. That's good for 600 crank thus about 510 to the wheels. Either way, you need to make sure the tune is dead on. At that horsepower range, if it's not, you can split the block right down the middle.

Oh, and get more into as to what a "treme trans" is. I wouldn't buy the car without getting up under it, and seeing the metal ID tag on the trans to identify which model of tremec it is. If it's a t5 or a t5z, it's on borrowed time. A tremec 3550 still isn't that much better. An old school TKO would be ideal, or a newer tremec 600. Another way to help identify the trans would be the bolts for the shifter. A t5 has 4. Any tremec has 6, the newer tremecs with the front 2 being more close together than the rest.

I asked him about the trans, It is actually a Tremec 3550 which I'm thinking is a bargaining point but I will verify that it's even the Tremec when i look at it.

Thank you for the replies guys.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
..and ask about the fuel system. I would think 255ltr high pressure in take with 42lb injectors and a proper tune, but he may have half assed something and added a FMU

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
It looks clean but that white interior is a PITA to get and keep clean. I don't like the hood either. Other then that it seems ok, the vibe red verts are pretty rare.

truefiveo

Established Member
Nope, going on Monday to look at it and drive it. He states he has 16k in reciepts, that dont really matter unless it passes my sniffer test which wont be until Monday. With everything being legit what value would you put on it? If you dont mind me asking.

$8k Tops

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Seems clean and fairly well done.

But I hate bright red and I hate verts so I wouldnt even consider buying it.

Otherwise good luck!

boatcop1

Established Member

Well I'm only taking 7.5K with me. I think 7K for that car as long as it checks out is fair.

Seems clean and fairly well done.

But I hate bright red and I hate verts so I wouldnt even consider buying it.

Otherwise good luck!

Not a fan either. But with this thing's list of mods and alleged reciepts and documentation it may be worth it. Ultimatley I may end up just driving it for the summer and rolling it into another 5.0. If I can get it at the right price I may even be able to make some money on it. I live near a Navy Sub base school and these kids are always looking for something to spend their bonus money on. Ask me how I know.:beer:

PONY MAN

Established Member
Nice looking vert & pretty clean.
Could be a good buy , it depends what you looking for.
For cruising , verts are nice , for speed , I like the coups [notch backs ] .
Good hunting ....

TheShadow

Hey, you're a funny guy.
Established Member
The hood, headlights and tails look pretty awful. For a car that just had the motor pulled, you'd think he would have taken a few minutes to clean up under the hood. I'd probably ask to see a dyno sheet as well to check the fuel trim. Those appear to be stock rails and fuel line. That could be an issue at a high power level. Ask me how I know, LOL!

boatcop1

Established Member
In for update

Due to the nasty weather up here in the Northeast I didn't look at it today. But have rescheduled for Thurs or Fri.

The hood, headlights and tails look pretty awful. For a car that just had the motor pulled, you'd think he would have taken a few minutes to clean up under the hood. I'd probably ask to see a dyno sheet as well to check the fuel trim. Those appear to be stock rails and fuel line. That could be an issue at a high power level. Ask me how I know, LOL!

I dont mind the hood as much as the heads and tails!:xpl: Those would be the first to be swapped out. Good pick up on the fuel lines. He texted me that he had offers at 6,800 and 7,300 and said he wouldn't do it. That really dont mean anything to me at this point anyway because It may not be all what is seems. We'll see I guess.

I also toyed with the thought of buying it and returning it tock as much as possible where as it is somewhat rare or at least "uncommon". IDK:shrug:

boatcop1

Established Member
UPDATE.
Car was hit at some point, rad support repair was obvious. Owner clearly just trying to flip car, I doubt it was actualy his because when i asked to see the title I got the thousand yard stare! Didn't produce recipts. Needs plenty of nickle and dime shit to make it right. After talking to him for 25 min I realized I was taking him to school on the car. He asked me what I would pay for it and I told him I wasn't interested and he wouldn't like my offer! Shook hands and walked away. The search continues.

Beerdog80

Crazy Oklahoman
Established Member
UPDATE.
Car was hit at some point, rad support repair was obvious. Owner clearly just trying to flip car, I doubt it was actualy his because when i asked to see the title I got the thousand yard stare! Didn't produce recipts. Needs plenty of nickle and dime shit to make it right. After talking to him for 25 min I realized I was taking him to school on the car. He asked me what I would pay for it and I told him I wasn't interested and he wouldn't like my offer! Shook hands and walked away. The search continues.

Whats the VIN on the car? Maybe it's stolen or something along those lines. Thats been an issue in my area all of a sudden. Car shows up that "looks" clean at a decent price. Cash only transactions. People don't know its a scam (or are too dumb to notice) until after its done.

Beerdog80

Crazy Oklahoman
Established Member
And I love the 'never been raced' part. Who the hell builds/buys a car with '600 HP' and doesn't beat on it a bit. Isn't that the point?

boatcop1

Established Member
And I love the 'never been raced' part. Who the hell builds/buys a car with '600 HP' and doesn't beat on it a bit. Isn't that the point?

Honestly, This wasn't a scam. Just a dude who likes to wholesale cars on the side who knows a little about Mustangs and is trying to make a quick buck selling a blown vert to some dumb kid. He was an older guy showing the car right at his house so I wasn't to concerned with it being a scam. When he asked me if I knew anything about Mustangs I knew he was feeling me out to determie the level of BS he can throw at me, Like I said, I ended up taking him to school and all the sudden he was asking me about the market and what he should do different to the car etc etc.

I probably could have got it for 6K cash right there after beasting on him but I'm not looking for something I have to throw money at right away. Although the car presents nice it was going to cost me a couple grand to get it where I like it. Oh well.

Oh and I asked him where he got the 600 number. His response; "thats what the guy at the shop told me" I shook my head and he was like "what you dont think?" Nah bro.

I think I helped him out by telling him to return it to stock as much as possible, sell the performance parts and ask 5.5 for the car. He'd probably do better imo.

Users who are viewing this thread