Running Nitto D/R's On The Street?

Justin07

Established Member
The L is going to need some new rubber once I take off my winter wheels. I was thinking about getting some Nitto D/R's for the back. Is anyone running these all the time on the street? What kind of mileage are you guys getting out of them, along with how many passes at the strip?

Justin

NewKid

Aliens
Established Member
I can't speak from experince, but I hear people get somewhere in the ballpark of 10K. I know several people that run around with them, mostly because they have to in order to have any hope of traction.

I'd love a set, that would be the best "mod" I could do right now.

BlownBolt

Doesn't Care
Established Member
I run mine all the the time, they usually last me one summer, but i drive a lot and race with them about 6 times over a summer. They are a nice tire.

Evil_SVT

Established Member
They are the best tire you get for teh lightning!

I have a set with less than 1k miles on them for sale for $350 OBO!

Leeroy697

Established Member
I have had them on my stang for 3 years or so and they hold up great. I do only put about 1600 miles on my stang a year though.

stubbs

Established Member
Mine lasted around 10k, but thats with about 6 street races, numerous burnouts, and many trips to the track. With them being bald as hell towards the end of the life of the tire they were still hooking great.

ACSVT

1st Ford
Established Member
When it gets warmer, I am getting another set. Can't beat them for an every day tire. I got around 15k out of mine.

ra1nmakr

Resident Fuel Slut
Established Member
they are going to be the next set of rears that i get. i am also going to be getting a pedal bike to get to work since i only live 1.5 miles from the place. so the tires are going to last me a little longer then the average driver.

Justin07

Established Member
Thanks for the input guys, i'm pretty sure i'll be getting a pair of nitto's for the back.. In the summer i have the L and the lincoln to drive so I should be able to get some pretty good miles on them if i'm not driving the L everyday.
Uh oh..Are they really that bad in the rain?

ra1nmakr

Resident Fuel Slut
Established Member
topper said:
i get about 12k on my stang, they hook SO good on the street, but for the track ehhh not so much
i am not going to be using them at the track since i have a set of slicks. i have heard that they are not the greatest at the track, but i have no real first hand experience with Nittos at the track so i cant talk yet.

topper

Established Member
Tru, yea i liked them on the street a lot, and as for the rain, you have to be easy just like any other tire, but its only different with nittos when they start going bald, you will kill yourself

TXRickC

Established Member
Justin07 said:
Uh oh..Are they really that bad in the rain?

I can think of 3 SVT's from this site alone who wrecked with NT555R's in the rain in the past 3 months. Might be more if I dug around.

BC Lightning

Project Panty Dropper
Established Member
Justin07 said:
The L is going to need some new rubber once I take off my winter wheels. I was thinking about getting some Nitto D/R's for the back. Is anyone running these all the time on the street? What kind of mileage are you guys getting out of them, along with how many passes at the strip?

Justin

Just depends on the type of driving you do.

I have seen anywhere from 2,000 - 12,000 out of sets, some had nasty burnouts and racing, others were strickly highway driving

BC Lightning

Project Panty Dropper
Established Member
AustinSVT said:
I can think of 3 SVT's from this site alone who wrecked with NT555R's in the rain in the past 3 months. Might be more if I dug around.

actually nitto DRs cut through water better than regular 555's, the problem is when the have worn down rubber

I have only had Drag Radials on my truck from almost the day I bought it, with 5 miles on the clock the first mod I did was drive it off the trailer it was delivered at my house to Discount Tire to get Nitto 555 and Nitto 555R, now have 55,000 on the clock and no problems in rain

just my .02

FordFanStan

Established Member
AustinSVT said:

I dont understand that one, that could have happened with any tire if your doing kickdowns or speeding in the rain. The Nitoo DR's had better wet traction on my stock wheels than my $296 a tire, BFG's on my 20's... Stan

Evil_SVT

Established Member
AustinSVT said:

On my cobra I have driven on the rain and SNOW with nitto 555r's. the people that where driving around and wrecked blaming it on the nittos are just a bunch of NOOBS! I've even been cought on the rain with my MT's! I am not the best driver... I just drive cautiously when wet.

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
I only have about 4000 miles on mine and they still have a ton of life left. I dont get to the track often but they did get a few burnouts. I drove home from Detriot to Rhode Island and about half of that 800 mile trip was in the rain and i didnt have any problems.......... except for having to stop and take a nap

Evil_SVT

Established Member
FordFanStan said:
I dont understand that one, that could have happened with any tire if your doing kickdowns or speeding in the rain. The Nitoo DR's had better wet traction on my stock wheels than my $296 a tire, BFG's on my 20's... Stan

exactly!

Users who are viewing this thread