Russell SS Brake Lines Q's...

HandoZiZle

WHIPPLE INSIDE
Established Member
I'm about to bring my car to a local shop to get my brakes work on. I purchased some SS lines and i have questions about the install. Is there anything that the shop should know in advance about installing these? I know there's some special procedures on certain things for these Cobras (filling coolant from crossover tube and etc). Thanks alot of the help.

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
Pretty standard brake line swap stuff. Make sure they use new copper crush washers and the new banjo bolt, which should have come in the kit.

Also, letting the brake reservoir run dry means a trip to the dealership as you will likely need to bleed the ABS. They should know this, and the situation is easily remedied by capping the hardline during the swap and keeping an eye on the reservoir level.

One more thing, the Ford torque specs are no longer valid.

This is a pretty easy swap, so you may just set aside a few hours one weekend to do it yourself. The only special tool you need is a flare wrench.

Last edited:

mu22stang

Established Member
Yet another thing...the banjo bolts changed from fine back to coarse thread mid-2003, I believe. I don't know how consistent this change was though. I got MM lines, and the kit comes with both fine and coarse thread banjo bolts.

HandoZiZle

WHIPPLE INSIDE
Established Member
Pretty standard brake line swap stuff. Make sure they use new copper crush washers and the new banjo bolt, which should have come in the kit.

Also, letting the brake reservoir run dry means a trip to the dealership as you will likely need to bleed the ABS. They should know this, and the situation is easily remedied by capping the hardline during the swap and keeping an eye on the reservoir level.

One more thing, the Ford torque specs are no longer valid.

This is a pretty easy swap, so you may just set aside a few hours one weekend to do it yourself. The only special tool you need is a flare wrench.

Yet another thing...the banjo bolts changed from fine back to coarse thread mid-2003, I believe. I don't know how consistent this change was though. I got MM lines, and the kit comes with both fine and coarse thread banjo bolts.

I wish i can do it myself but i rather pay someone to do it. Beside bolt-ons stuff, i'm pretty dumb when it comes to car repairs. But thanks for the info, i bought the kit from Dagostino Racing and it should be here this week so i'll make sure to check for the banjo bolts and washers.

mu22stang

Established Member
What does that mean? Please explain.

The new hardware, i.e. the banjo bolts, will have new torque specs.

It's a bolt on mod. What do you need a flare wrench for? This isn't a line lock kit.

The hardlines are matted to the flexible lines with a flare nut. You can easily round this without a flare wrench because it's such a soft metal.

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
The hardlines are matted to the flexible lines with a flare nut. You can easily round this without a flare wrench because it's such a soft metal.
Sorry, I misread this and was thinking of a tubing flare kit. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread