RXT installation issue.

5.0GT

Established Member
I'm putting the RXT clutch on a T-56 and when I'm done the diaphragm fingers are not below the pressure plate surface. the bottom plate is still moving, but the top one is still.

I don't see the adapter wring ARP bolt torque specifications. I read a thread that it's 25lbs, I figured I'll do that and get a hold of Mcleod. Is says torque to factory but thats 35 lbs then 60 degrees, seems too much for an ARP bolt.

Anyone been there or thoughts on what to try?

SCalla1384

Established Member
I believe mcleod calls for 25 ft lbs, then go go 35 ft lbs. I to had that issue, then I re read the manual, and realized it said go to 35 ft lb after

SCalla1384

Established Member
Shit I can't remember, I want to say 25 ft lbs on the floater plate, and then 35 ft lb on the pressure plate. Are the fingers starting to go down?

If it's not on the instructions, I'd def call mcleod. Hopefully it's not defective

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
I torqued the ARP bolts for the adapter ring to the flywheel to 35ftlbs. Then torqued the pressure plate nuts to the adapter ring 25ftlbs then 35ftlbs.

All my fingers were below the pressure plate surface.

debit_free_2010

Established Member
what did you torque the adapter plate?

Torque the 6 adapter ring bolts to 50 ft-lbs, 25 for the 3 floater nuts, and 35 for the PP. I torqued my PP to 42 cause 35 seems a little light to me and I've never had an issue with the fingers not being pulled down.

5.0GT

Established Member
Torque the 6 adapter ring bolts to 50 ft-lbs, 25 for the 3 floater nuts, and 35 for the PP. I torqued my PP to 42 cause 35 seems a little light to me and I've never had an issue with the fingers not being pulled down.

Did you check your clearance after that?

debit_free_2010

Established Member
Did you check your clearance after that?

I installed the RXT on a Mcleod heavy steel FW and used a bench press to compress the fingers .400" and measured roughly 33-thousands total clearance.

That gave 18-thousands clearance for the lower disc to FW and floater, and 15-thousands for the upper between the floater and PP. I measured the discs and found top disc was approximately .3325" thick, lower was .3115" thick. The pads vary in thickness by a couple thousands.

It shifts at 7500 no problem.

5.0GT

Established Member
The issue I'm having now, is that the bottom plate is holding. When I torque everything and take the pilot tool out the plate falls down. I don't know what am I doing wrong or if there's an issue with one of the parts, I have assembled it twice now with the same result.

debit_free_2010

Established Member
The issue I'm having now, is that the bottom plate is holding. When I torque everything and take the pilot tool out the plate falls down. I don't know what am I doing wrong or if there's an issue with one of the parts, I have assembled it twice now with the same result.

If you've still got it apart post up some pic's of what your doing.

Unless you've got a disc installed backwards?? there's no way the discs or floater ring will be loose once you start torquing the PP down.

5.0GT

Established Member
I think they'll hold even if I put it backwards. I thought it was a one piece, the flywheel doesn't have the friction plate lol. The ARP PP bolts are 35 ft-lbs btw for references, wasn't on the instructions.

Users who are viewing this thread