RZR & Side by Side ATV's

jrandy

Established Member
The wife and I have been thinking of getting an ATV to play around with, but it's completely new territory to me. Those with one or experience, what's there to look for when searching? Pismo Beach is ~1:45 from my place and there are a few off road parks much closer.

I was figuring a few year old slightly used, or possibly doing a rebuild as a project.

sono

Established Member
I live in Florida, but keep my atv's in Durhamtown Georgia. Like a theme park for atv/utv. Even has a lit tree for drag racing.
My advice is go as new as possible. Been down the other roads and its not worth it. By the time you rebuild you could of bought new or near new. It's pricey to do it right especially with utv.

jrandy

Established Member
If you buy a new Polaris I have a code to get $500 in free accessories.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

I'll keep that in mind!

I live in Florida, but keep my atv's in Durhamtown Georgia. Like a theme park for atv/utv. Even has a lit tree for drag racing.
My advice is go as new as possible. Been down the other roads and its not worth it. By the time you rebuild you could of bought new or near new. It's pricey to do it right especially with utv.

Yea, I kinda figured that would e the case. I guess keep it as new as possible with low usage is the best option.

blk02edge

Established Member
IMO they are somewhat of a lifestyle rather than just a toy, keep that in mind, oh and Maverick X3, just do it

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
What are you looking for out of one? Speed? Utility? Need a bed for hauling, or just a couple of buckets and a small bed?
Just throwing it out because I didn’t like it, arctic cat prawlers have spools in the rear end which was super annoying. If you were considering one.

jaxbusa

Established Member
You can get a 4x4 Ranger off Craigslist for cheap and take the doors off. Those side by sides are just too pricey for me.

velocicaur

Established Member
What is your experience with them?

If you are new, you should be able to rent some decent ones at Pismo beach. I would expect they have rzr 1000 and maverick 1000. You could probably rent each of them for two hours and just pick the one you like the best. Yamaha has a shifter which fun but it isn't as user friendly - you don't see near as many as you do the others. Obviously, everyone has their favorites but they are all great.

Newer models have more suspension and better shocks. It's one of the major differences with the base models and top of the line models. It makes a huge difference when you're going hard on it. I'd definitely get the 1000. The sand (paddle tires) sucks the power out of them.

Honestly, it depends on how much you'll use it. A lot of people buy one and use it a few times and then they put them up for sale. You'll see a ton of them with low miles. It's much easier and cheaper to rent a few times a year than own one (no towing, maintenance, etc.).

They are really fun though: Rzr 1000 turbo 4 seater. Soft cab, roll cage, exhaust, tune, clutch, heater, tracks, etc.

Attachments

• 2018-03-24 12.53.59(1).jpg
    2018-03-24 12.53.59(1).jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 82
  • 123_11.jpg
    123_11.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 49
  • Resized_20180129_133958(1).jpg
    Resized_20180129_133958(1).jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 67

jrandy

Established Member
IMO they are somewhat of a lifestyle rather than just a toy, keep that in mind, oh and Maverick X3, just do it

I figured as much. My wife and I have been getting deeper and deeper into camping and figured this would fit in nicely.

What are you looking for out of one? Speed? Utility? Need a bed for hauling, or just a couple of buckets and a small bed?
Just throwing it out because I didn’t like it, arctic cat prawlers have spools in the rear end which was super annoying. If you were considering one.

No use but for throwing it around for fun.

You can get a 4x4 Ranger off Craigslist for cheap and take the doors off. Those side by sides are just too pricey for me.

That's actually a really good thought. For the price of one, I could have a dedicated off road something to play around with.

What is your experience with them?

If you are new, you should be able to rent some decent ones at Pismo beach. I would expect they have rzr 1000 and maverick 1000. You could probably rent each of them for two hours and just pick the one you like the best. Yamaha has a shifter which fun but it isn't as user friendly - you don't see near as many as you do the others. Obviously, everyone has their favorites but they are all great.

Newer models have more suspension and better shocks. It's one of the major differences with the base models and top of the line models. It makes a huge difference when you're going hard on it. I'd definitely get the 1000. The sand (paddle tires) sucks the power out of them.

Honestly, it depends on how much you'll use it. A lot of people buy one and use it a few times and then they put them up for sale. You'll see a ton of them with low miles. It's much easier and cheaper to rent a few times a year than own one (no towing, maintenance, etc.).

They are really fun though: Rzr 1000 turbo 4 seater. Soft cab, roll cage, exhaust, tune, clutch, heater, tracks, etc.

No experiente other than I've rented them multiple times. Every time we rent one, the wife mentions how we should buy one.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
They’re a blast. If you like desert running there is simply nothing better quipped short of a full Class x off road car.

Fun in the dunes too, but for the dunes I still prefer my old 750 lb mid engine 200 HP Vw hill shooter.

84624-EB4-E538-4-B30-AA1-A-CD17-D6477-F95.jpg

KilledbyKenne

Established Member
After being on Hells Revenge in Moab and seeing how easy those things went through the obstacles, I really want one too.

Users who are viewing this thread