S351 Re-build 95-112

jrandy

Established Member
Really looking forward to watching this build progress. This is one of my favorite mustangs of all time.

delvin.a

Established Member
Good find and great job on the restoration. Always glad to see a S351 get preserved. I had a 99 version. Cool cars but the stock tunes leave a lot to be desired. People have to remember back in 94 when these came out, putting a 351 in there wasnt too hard, but when it was the supercharged version, the technology in blown cars isnt what it was say in the 2000s. Saleen used a Vortech kit with a FMU to spike fuel pressure and it had a modified Econoline van PCM. The early cars used Lightning truck shortblocks with hypereutectic pistons. These early cars were bad about blowing the engine due to the iffy fuel system/tune combo. The cars got better as time went on. In 96 the Twisted Wedge cylinder heads replaced the Edlebrock units and the FMU went away to be replaced by bigger injectors and a better calibration. The T56 tranny also replaced the Tremec 5 speed unit. Somewhere in the later cars, 98 maybe, the Lightning shortblocks were all gone from Ford inventory. Saleen used the beefier sportsman blocks with actual forged internals. The final year, 99, like mine, all had Wiseco pistons and Eagle H beam rods in that beefy block. These were the most desirable but very scarce. Anyone that has a S351 needs to go through it and see what they really have because by now, its not stock due to an issue at some point in its life. Overall, very cool cars and with modern advances in fuel systems and upgraded parts, the 351 can be a beast. Saleen had a great idea back in the mid 90s, just the technology wasnt quite there to make the most of it. Cheers on your find and good luck with it. These cars will always be desirable, rare, and collectable.

Thank you, sounds like you have spent as much or more time learning about these as I have.

I redid the fuel system with a 255lph pump, Pro-M hanger, -6 lines, 42lbs inj on the OE rail. I doubt this will make over 500 through the 65mm TB.

99BOSS

Established Member
Cant wait to see how it does! With 408 cubes, it'll be a torque monster! The bottle neck on these cars is the Frankenstein Cobra intake. These are done past 5K rpm, and its not enough to feed a 408. Sounds like the fuel system is solid. Your pump and injectors should do the trick. If that ProM meter runs out of steam, see if your tuner can make a SCT big air fly. It looks like you're going for the original look though so I get the ProM piece. I'll guess you'll do in the 450 rwhp and 500 rwtq area.

delvin.a

Established Member
Cant wait to see how it does! With 408 cubes, it'll be a torque monster! The bottle neck on these cars is the Frankenstein Cobra intake. These are done past 5K rpm, and its not enough to feed a 408. Sounds like the fuel system is solid. Your pump and injectors should do the trick. If that ProM meter runs out of steam, see if your tuner can make a SCT big air fly. It looks like you're going for the original look though so I get the ProM piece. I'll guess you'll do in the 450 rwhp and 500 rwtq area.

It’s also got a tiny 65mm TB lol, you are correct I am going for the OEM look. I’ve considering pulling the 408 and putting higher comp pistons in, custom cam and an ITB set up of some kind but we shall see. If it put down 450/500 I probably wouldn’t mess with it much and thats around what the R-code put down in stock form I’d guess so thats kind of neat I guess.

Thanks for the compliments everyone!

Update:

Tune session didn’t go so well, the car wouldn’t respond to any fuel changes, we locked timing, forced open loop, added 25% to the maf etc and the knock remained so I pulled the injectors and sent them out for cleaning. The guy at the cleaning place said these green tops usually clean up great so hopefully I’m blessed with a good result.

a64bb132ac85491bdf57dc8af3dd2e9d.jpg

Vintage Motorsport flex lol

A couple pics of the evening the S351 arrived. The Cobra went to stay at my dads a couple days later once the re-build started. Really thinking about selling the 93 if anyone is looking PM me
67064f7893bd5bd3c957d1ff5f3c36cd.jpg

ff3781df4272dd19d9f234f21b73dcab.jpg

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread