S550 interior material and finish quality

figit

Established Member
There has been an immense amount of coverage on the overall improvement of the interior design but not much is said about the actual material and finish choices. Can those of you who came from the previous generation comment on material selection for the new interior? Are they superior? I've since sold my 2014 and even though it was well cared for, I couldn't help but notice how scratch prone the cheap plastics were and how thin and delicate that satin gray finish was on most of the accent pieces.

This blurb from Car & Driver leads me to believe that they steered clear of improving the quality of the materials in favor of a complete design overall:

"Typical of any new-car program, the Mustang’s interior-design team developed two different concepts into full-scale clay models before settling on the final direction. The first, an evolution of the outgoing car, placed an emphasis on premium materials. The second, which ultimately inspired the production car, conveyed an aircraft theme with a long, wing-shaped span of aluminum stretching from door to door."

Does this mean they killed it in the design stage but didn't improve the actual materials and finishes?

I'd love to know how it has held up to some real world use.

Thanks!
-Mike

Last edited:

Budwise

Track Addict
Established Member
Materials are better, the satin and chrome pieces don't scratch like the 13-14 cars did. That said, quality control isn't any better.

Fox-4

OFFICER BARBRADY
Established Member
Materials are better, the satin and chrome pieces don't scratch like the 13-14 cars did. That said, quality control isn't any better.

Yup, there are still some cheap plastics in the cab but for the most part it seems to be better than the outgoing cars.

thehunterooo

Established Member
Yup, there are still some cheap plastics in the cab but for the most part it seems to be better than the outgoing cars.

This, there are still some cheap spots but most of the stuff you touch is a lot nicer. I am pretty careful not to scratch anything in my car so no scratches anywhere yet. The one thing I did not like on my 14 was the center console, love the 15 console. I would check one out in person.

color me gone

Established Member
What gets me is how cheap the steering wheel feels.
First thing my wife says about my 65,000$ Roush is well it looks good but that wheel feels like double cheap leather, she says her Nissan Mirano is so much better feeling, oh and it is heated too.
I agree, looking to buy the gt350 wheel when available.

Users who are viewing this thread