Safe to drive back 1000 miles without an oil change?

Ablaze

Established Member
I requested to have the oil change before I picked her up and they agreed but the tech said it's break-in oil and I probably want to leave it in and change it a little further down the road. I only asked for it to be changed because it's sitting in the showroom for a while, few months, I'm sure. Suggestions?

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Zero issues. Make sure to vary speed and RPM on the way back.

Last edited:

JAJ

Rapidly Losing Interest
Established Member
The oil from the factory is exactly the same oil as you get at the parts counter, and it's intended to stay in until you have been driving it for six months or 7500 miles as the Owner's Manual states. I ran mine for six months and did about 3500 miles including about 1000 miles at speed on road-race tracks (that's how you really break one of these in) and the oil analysis results were excellent.

Early changes might have been a good idea ten years ago, but the world has moved on and you can just do changes as they're called for in the Owner's Manual and all will be well.

JeremyR

Established Member
Yea your fine. The oil today is way better then it used to be. I think Porsche recommends oil changes every 12,000 miles and BMW M series is even 15,000 miles. I remember when i bought a BMW several years ago the guy told me changing the oil every 3000 miles was one of the biggest myths out there. I always run synthetic in all my vehicle's and do oil changes every 6000 miles.

Last edited:

TAF

Trilogy Twin Screwed #004
Established Member
"Tech" using words "break-in oil" means you weren't talking to a real "Tech"...:shrug:

Last edited:

mike69440

Established Member
Break in oil

The oil from the factory is exactly the same oil as you get at the parts counter, and it's intended to stay in until you have been driving it for six months or 7500 miles as the Owner's Manual states. I ran mine for six months and did about 3500 miles including about 1000 miles at speed on road-race tracks (that's how you really break one of these in) and the oil analysis results were excellent.

Early changes might have been a good idea ten years ago, but the world has moved on and you can just do changes as they're called for in the Owner's Manual and all will be well.

Even most new engines are assembled with an assembly lube.

Your "break in oil" still has this lube mixed in. Good for the cams & such.

Other than that the oil is the oil.

Users who are viewing this thread