Safety protection when car is cold ?

gofast15

Established Member
Just like the title says . Do these cars have any kind of safety protection when they are cold ? Like LC not working or lower rev rpms ?

Transmission oil temperature had to reach 140*F for the launch control to work on my GTR , I didn't like that when running at drag strip , I couldn't cool the car down for a longer period of time. Launch control works on my R8 all the time but the car revs to 6000rpms only vs normal 8900rpms when it's cold .however car warms up pretty quick , takes like 2-3 minutes for the redline to go back to normal

Snoopy49

Established Member
From the 2020 GT500 Owners Manual Supplement.

While the vehicle can be started as low as -22°F (-30°C), the transmission does not shift from park (P) until the transmission fluid temperatures warms up above -4°F (-20°C).

Your vehicle has electronic controls to reduce power and/or limit RPM to reduce powertrain temperatures if required.

Releasing Line Lock

While line lock is engaged, you can exit (release) the feature using the OK button. When you press the OK button, line lock releases immediately and normal vehicle function resumes. When line lock engages, a countdown timer shows the remaining time before line lock is released automatically. If you exceed the time limit, or another vehicle condition requires line lock to release, the system safely disengages and normal vehicle function resumes.

Your vehicle is designed to restrict engine power and RPM when the engine is cold. The engine RPM and power output is reduced until the engine reaches full operating temperature.

Note: The engine and transmission need to be sufficiently warmed up before you can enable launch control.

pwrshft99

Established Member
FWIW, I think all DBW vehicles have a feature that limits how much throttle can be applied before the engine is at operating temperature.

Used to load new vehicles at an assembly plant. DBW presented a challenge. Up until then, you got a car, loaded it into the rail car, then went back for more. Suddenly with the new cars, you get it in, drop it in Drive, hit the gas and nothing happened. Took a real long time in the winter before the car would even move forward. Forget about rocking the thing to get it out of some snow.

Users who are viewing this thread