Samsung TV problems

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
I've learned we have a wide variety of knowledge on SVTP, so I'm gonna ask a TV question.

I have a 40" Samsung LCD that's probably in the neighborhood of 3-4 years old. Last few days it wants to go through spells where the screen will flash on and off. Turning it off and then back on or unplugging does nothing to stop it, however if you let it do it's flashing for a couple to ten minutes, it goes back to normal. Does not matter what source the TV is on. Same issue on AV, HDMI, Cable, etc. Any ideas or similar issues from you guys?

wrksnfx

FordTrucksDaRestJustSuck
Established Member
I don't know if this is the problem but lcd screens are what is referred to as backlit w/ a CFL (Compact Florescent Light) tube (which is attached at the bottom of the screen laptops, notebooks and netbooks too are lighted this way) and when the cfl starts to go they will begin to flicker until they warm up this happened to my laptop so I had to replace the cfl so maybe that could be your problem.

65fastback2+2

Established Member
most likely CFL bulb OR the horrific power supply issue that samsungs had up until 2ish years ago

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
see if samsung has customer forums, maybe someone else has the same issue and had it fixed. i'll google a few times and see what i find

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
All of those links talk about the TV actually turning on and off (I read a couple of them last night) but mine stays on, the screen just flashes on and off. Resembles a strobe light.

MustangBoo

Save Colonel Reb!!!
Established Member
most likely the bulb if power is staying on. My samsung is about 4 years old now hope it keeps ticking. :eek:

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member

My Samsung has that exact problem. It's annoying but not enough to get it fixed.. yet.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
so...when shopping for a TV, rule out samsung

This is an older issue. The new ones are supposed to be improved. I've had one of my Samsungs for over 4 years now and love it. Runs like a champ and with excellent image quality. No television is 100% perfect, and every brand/model has occasional issues, some of which are correctable. So Samsung isn't a brand you would overlook. As a matter of fact, if you check the ratings their tvs actually are rated well. That said, I'm not resigned to always buy Samsung. I would still check all available makes and models to find the best choice for the best price.

slick4_6

Established Member
We had the same problem. Carried it to a tv repair shop and I think it cost around $70. Very common in the earlier samsung lcd from what I have heard.

Sniperdog

Less than Premium Member
Established Member
I have a 61" DLP Samsung.,. and something like that has happened to me.,. I had to adjust the door on the back that accesses the bulb,.. the heat warped that door and the TV thought the door was open., so it acted up.,,. I would check that as a possible easy fix :thumbsup:

edit:after reading NyteByte's post.,. I realize I was in error and my tv is a DLP :( sorry bro.,. me no help :bash:

Last edited:

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
I agree with PrymeTyme. Check the power supply first. Samsung power supplies are known to eat capacitors. Samsung uses very cheap crappy parts in their products that do not last.

My current Samsung 56 inch TV blew 6 capacitors. I replaced all six and it's been fine so far. My previous Samsung 50 inch DLP TV blew the DLP projection unit, so it was not repairable.

Best thing to do going forward is to never ever buy Samsung since it's total junk.

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
Had a laptop that had a bad backlight and/or power supply, but the symptoms were not the same. The LCD screen was just plain black, but the video could be seen by plugging in an external monitor and switching the video. No flickering or noise at all. IT ended up replacing the entire video assembly. The tech said labor exceeded parts, so they just replaced it all.

wrksnfx

FordTrucksDaRestJustSuck
Established Member
Had a laptop that had a bad backlight and/or power supply, but the symptoms were not the same. The LCD screen was just plain black, but the video could be seen by plugging in an external monitor and switching the video. No flickering or noise at all. IT ended up replacing the entire video assembly. The tech said labor exceeded parts, so they just replaced it all.
Yep the Transformer and cfl or both the cfl w/ the lcd screen.

Users who are viewing this thread