saw the new 05 stang on the road

Shanezam203

Established Member
All it has going for it is its something different, and there arent a lot of them on the road. i havent seen the 05's in person yet, but I dont think I'd trade my 03 in for it, even for an even trade. I just dont like the look, and the performance #'s didnt really impress me. What's it doing under 300 at the wheels?

Shane

ghostrydyr

Established Member
I like it!

Love the front better than the rear. I do love the rear quarter window. Overall the 05 stang will sell like crazy if dealers don't mark them up to much!

SVTADVISOR

The Cobra Doctor
Established Member
We've had them for about a week. Drove a 5sp GT today. Much better platform to start with than previous cars. Fit and finish is much better. As far as the look.... It will grow on you just like the SN95's did.

Jpjr

Established Member
Re: I like it!

Originally posted by ghostrydyr
Love the front better than the rear. I do love the rear quarter window. Overall the 05 stang will sell like crazy if dealers don't mark them up to much!

Who is going to buy them? Right now there is a huge rush, as expected given the fact the mustang has been totally redesigned and is the highest selling sports car in the United States.

But honestly, being in an analytical/consulting profession, I would expect this car to have a very compressed lifeline. 'Retro' is something in my opinion that should be a specialty design, not what the car is based from. While the car has targeted an audience that liked the look of the 60's mustangs, they have risked losing an audience that is more concerned with sleek, sexy sports cars to do battle against rice and german imports. I personally, at my age, would be embarrased to pull the 05 up next to an M3. Just my opinion...

Jpjr

Established Member
not to beat this up any more but, ford already made a similar mistake with the thunderbird, which will be put out of its misery this year.

the mustang albeit is a better value than the thunderbird, but its still way too retro to consistently sell IMO. i have yet to see a consensus on a single aftermarket body kit that looks good on the '05 (steeda, cervini, roush, etc.). To me its pretty easy to understand the reason: Why would you put a body kit (used to make a car look sleeker, more aerodynamic, etc) on a car that was deliberately designed to be retro? (i.e. boxy, non-aerodynamic, etc.)

AngrySnake

Established Member
Originally posted by FireRed04Vert
I was just wondering....anyone seen an 05 GT? Or are all you're seeing V-6's? Just wondering if there is any truth to the rumor about V-8's being held back for a head problem.

The GT's seem to just now be hitting lots, I drove one 2 nights ago at Dale Jarrett in Charlotte. Legend lime/black, 5spd, was loaded including the Shaker 1000 stereo. MSRP was $29,xxx. Great car, much more comfortable (especially for tall people like me), love the gauges, shifter placement, the seats, and of course the stereo. Ride was much softer than the 03 Cobra to me, almost seemed a little floaty. The shifter felt nice, but the clutch seemed a bit soft and spongy, and the tip-in is not anywhere as linear the 03 Cobras. There's power under the hood, but it's not going to plant you like an 03. I have a cat-back/CAI 03 Cobra vert, and SOTP on the 05 was nowhere near my car (as expected). The exhaust on that car sounds great though, I wish our 03s sounded that good from the factory. No rattles anywhere, compared to our cars the new ones are rock solid. A couple of other downsides: The E-brake handle is on the left side of the center console, and HUGE. I bumped into it every time I tried to get in the car, that would drive me nuts. Also, the interior seems pretty dark and bling-less if you're a passenger. Because of the gauge bezels, you can't see any of the instuments if you're riding shotgun (in other words, your date isn't going to be real impressed). All in all the positives outwiegh the negatives, but the experience isn't going to make me go unload my 03 by any means. I probably couldn't buy an 05 GT vert for what I paid for my 03 Cobra, and I'm not sure I would want to. Would I buy an 07 Cobra with 400+ HP? Hell yeah, if they get it right. We'll see :beer:

AngrySnake

Established Member
Oh, one more cool thing, the 169 foot turning circle on our cars is gone, the new one turns on a dime. Much nicer in tight quarters. :)

ArtMan

Established Member
Originally posted by Jpjr
not to beat this up any more but, ford already made a similar mistake with the thunderbird, which will be put out of its misery this year.

the mustang albeit is a better value than the thunderbird, but its still way too retro to consistently sell IMO.

True on the Thunderbird. Ford priced it completely out of range for what the car is. I know a lot of people who wanted one so bad, but just couldn't justify the price.

As far as the Mustang, Who knows. Could end up another PT Cruiser phenomenon. One thing I have learned in marketing, "there is no accounting for taste" be it good or bad. I am personally diggin the new style, err, a...old style, or what ever it is. I hated the last Mustang body when it first came out. especially the rear, But then it grew on me. Liking them both, so hopefully I will own one of each. Of course the performance of the new Cobra will be the deciding factor for me. JMHO

HIErPwRd

Established Member
Originally posted by Nicky P 03 SVT
The rear 1/4 window kills that car! It either should have been a 3 window coupe, or like the 94-04 stangs with no real divider between the 2 windows!

T. W. I. S. !!!!!!!!!!

thats what im saying!!!

always thought the 99-04s looked way cleaner with the saleen c-pillars, but fine with the stock ones..

but the quarter window on the 05s throws it off....:nonono:

umustdv8

Established Member
Re: Re: I like it!

Who is going to buy them? Right now there is a huge rush, as expected given the fact the mustang has been totally redesigned and is the highest selling sports car in the United States.

But honestly, being in an analytical/consulting profession, I would expect this car to have a very compressed lifeline. 'Retro' is something in my opinion that should be a specialty design, not what the car is based from. While the car has targeted an audience that liked the look of the 60's mustangs, they have risked losing an audience that is more concerned with sleek, sexy sports cars to do battle against rice and german imports. I personally, at my age, would be embarrased to pull the 05 up next to an M3. Just my opinion...

Well said. I too feel the new body style will age quickly. I owned 6 mustangs and even if this style grows on me, I will not buy one. I feel it's almost too much retro in the styling. The concept car seemed to have more of an edge and was a little more suttle in its retro design.

Whiskey City

Established Member
Originally posted by AngrySnake
...snip...Because of the gauge bezels, you can't see any of the instuments if you're riding shotgun (in other words, your date isn't going to be real impressed). ...snip...

If you ask me, that's a huge plus. My wife keeps screaming, "YOU'RE GOING TOO FAST!!! YOU'RE GOING TO GET A TICKET!!! I CAN'T FEEL MY FACE!!"

I think that if she couldn't see the speedo so well, it would at least cut 2/3 of her screaming out. And, as a married man, that's a good thing:thumbsup:

eric n

Established Member

Seldom is there a 26,000 car which competes with one of the best 50,000 cars on earth. So it's understandable that you would be embarrassed. That said.... There is no other car on earth dollar for dollar which provides this level of style, power, refinement.... (Rice aside).

300 ponies
American V8
Quality Fit and finish
Brand new platform
Damn good handling
Anticipated Tremendous support from aftermarket

But, you can always wait until they come out with the cobra which is suppose to have handling comparable to the m3 and likely 450 or more ponies. All that for 10 to 15k less than the BMW. Then you can pull up next to it, wave bye bye and watch it in your rearview.

But if it's just an I'm an grown up (old guy) and I should have a more sophisticated car, then by all means get the bmw. I'm pretty sure Jay Leno has both.

HONBOY1

Established Member

But honestly, being in an analytical/consulting profession, I would expect this car to have a very compressed lifeline. 'Retro' is something in my opinion that should be a specialty design, not what the car is based from. While the car has targeted an audience that liked the look of the 60's mustangs, they have risked losing an audience that is more concerned with sleek, sexy sports cars to do battle against rice and german imports. I personally, at my age, would be embarrased topull the 05 up next to an M3. Just my opinion...
Dude you are so right, my thoughts exactly. I may have to go to a corvette now because I do not care for the new stang. You would think they would have learned their lesson with the retro look after putting out that nasty thunderbird!!!!!!:??:

Terminator

Established Member
IMO, the problem with the T-Bird was not the retro design, it's whats under the hood.
The 3.9 is a nice engine but under powered for the T-Bird. I've driven a few of them, it's a nice car all around.
325-350 hp would've made it a much better package and easier sale for 40K+.

Users who are viewing this thread