scared to launch

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
The soft side wall of bias ply tires absorb a lot of the shock.

DSC_410220copy3.jpg

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
NOOOOOOOOOO the consensus is fast SLIP

I live in PSL as well the info. supplied above was done at PBIR. Be careful on drag radials though much more prone to hop. I'm using bias ply tubed slicks and the car damn near drove itself.

3500 or even lower should be a good start point with 4.10s which IMO are overkill. I've seen alot of post about "idle lanuches" give one of them a try, IE like a standing street start from a light. I spun through 1st at the track with my slick setup at 11 psi and the 3.55's. I'll never lower the gearing thing is a tq. monster as it is why make traction even harder to achieve?

The soft side wall of bias ply tires absorb a lot of the shock.

DSC_410220copy3.jpg

You are going drag racing on sticky tires without the brace or any bushings?:shrug::dw:
That would be a risky trip....IMHO.

Do the brace, without question, or I would just stay home.
Do bias ply slicks at the strip and use DRs for the street if you want to use them up somewhere.
And WITHOUT QUESTION ALWAYS LIFT WHEN IT HOPS!!!

That photo clearly illustrates the twist in the sidewall which winds up like a spring and then releases the energy smoothly.
A DR being a radial has much less wind up and absorption in the sidewall therefor it delivers more shock load.

The guys running 10s and 9s on the IRS are not using OE silly putty for bushings.
Once the movement and hop oscillation are gone out of the IRS, even with the 28 spline outer hub connection, the stock half shafts have turned some really fast times.

If you are going with an unprepared IRS, I would plan on using the above described "slip launch" and be very conservative with it.

This very effective launch technique is still used even after getting the IRS built, by many racers. They use less slip but still some.

This is the primary reason the drag racing guys in this hobby go through more clutches, than those of us who prefer going around near 90 degree unbanked corners at 90+ MPH.... on the stock original clutch.:-D (@ turn two TWS CCW)

Last edited:

josh2016

Established Member
i thought DR's did the same thing. lol i thought one of the only diff between the 2 was the slicks didnt have tread and DR's did. just goes to show how little i know about tires lol

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
i thought DR's did the same thing. lol i thought one of the only diff between the 2 was the slicks didnt have tread and DR's did. just goes to show how little i know about tires lol

The reason we are on here is to share knowledge and experince with each other.:beer:

DarkMach1

Established Member
wow i never thought slicks would be safer since they are so much stickier. i thought the sudden jolt of torque is what snapped half shafts. i get wheel hop on the street all the time without letting out of it. why is it different on the track?

One big difference between track and strip and that's traction, add that to the equation and snap!!

josh2016

Established Member
well just got back from the track...First run 11.72 @ 121 mph. i slipped the clutch and did not power shift into 2nd but did 3rd and 4th. second run 24.36 @ 34 mph. can u guess what happened??? i slipped the clutch on the launch @ 3500 rpms, went great but decided to power shift 2nd this time, no wheel hop, just hooked like hell and snapped the passenger side halfshaft and coasted down the track. Guess im gettin that SRA alot sooner than expected.

stal94gt

Established Member
sucks to hear man, i swaped my irs out the first day i owned the car. people on this site dont care for the swap but i sleep easy at night knowing my built sra has taken a ton of abuse in the past and will continue to make it home ok. not saying a built sra is indestructable but it deff will take one hell of a beating before it gives up.

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
Sorry to hear about the broken half shaft.
I guess my car is a factory freak.
Seven years of drag racing launching on slicks and spray with no issues.

rudycobra

Established Member
Only 441 hp but full tilt bushing kit , and lpw cover and billetflow brackets and dump clutch at 4400 with drs and didn't have a problem . Love the IRS

DarkMach1

Established Member
Wow, what are the odds of it happening on your first trip to the track, I guess my equation added up. Sucks to hear what happened, just swap in an SRA and get back out there.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
well just got back from the track...First run 11.72 @ 121 mph. i slipped the clutch and did not power shift into 2nd but did 3rd and 4th. second run 24.36 @ 34 mph. can u guess what happened??? i slipped the clutch on the launch @ 3500 rpms, went great but decided to power shift 2nd this time, no wheel hop, just hooked like hell and snapped the passenger side halfshaft and coasted down the track. Guess im gettin that SRA alot sooner than expected.

Little advice, just don't plan on selling the car in the near future. Once people find out the irs has been swapped out for a sra, a red flag amerges and shows proof of a drag racing car that has been beat to hell. You'll also be hard pressed to get decent money as compared to one still equipped with irs.

josh2016

Established Member
i dont plan on ever selling it. i love the car. ive wanted a 03/04 cobra since they came out. its my dream car and im finally driving one....was driving one lol. I have a stock 8.8 SRA i just gotta have it built. im going to drive down to UPR today to get the upper/lower control arm package they have. its on sale for only $200 right now. and they usually take off a few extra $$ for going there in person lol. its only a 45 min drive so i figured y not

DarkMach1

Established Member
Little advice, just don't plan on selling the car in the near future. Once people find out the irs has been swapped out for a sra, a red flag amerges and shows proof of a drag racing car that has been beat to hell. You'll also be hard pressed to get decent money as compared to one still equipped with irs.

Little advice, just dont plan on selling your car in the near future. Once people find out pulleys and suspension has been swapped out for the factory stuff, a red flag emerges and shows proof of a drag racing car that has been beat to hell. You'll also be hard pressed to get decent money as compared to one still showroom stock.

Tractionless1

Established Member
Sorry to hear about the broken half shaft.
I guess my car is a factory freak.
Seven years of drag racing launching on slicks and spray with no issues.

Maybe cause ya know what ya doing guy!

Wow, what are the odds of it happening on your first trip to the track, I guess my equation added up. Sucks to hear what happened, just swap in an SRA and get back out there.

Probably pretty good the cars aren't getting any newer and who knows what previous abuse they took. Glad I trailer mine now, changing tires etc. is a PITA at the track.

DarkMach1

Established Member
Maybe cause ya know what ya doing guy!

Probably pretty good the cars aren't getting any newer and who knows what previous abuse they took. Glad I trailer mine now, changing tires etc. is a PITA at the track.

Yea, I just swap tires at home and drive up there, then just swap back the next day.

Evil homer

Established Member
all part of drag racing man just have fun :rockon:
I broke 2 half shafts in one month finaly got my level 5's
and irs brace n cover i should of done all this sooner :bash:
also should I do the irs busing kit ??? whats the up side to it ?

03snakeminated

Established Member
Sorry about the Half shaft o.p, i was there too, I'm the dsg cobra owner you talked to, if you're keeping the IRS for any reason make sure you slap a brace on that sucker

josh2016

Established Member
Sorry about the Half shaft o.p, i was there too, I'm the dsg cobra owner you talked to, if you're keeping the IRS for any reason make sure you slap a brace on that sucker

ur the guy that was at the track that night i broke?? small world huh. im just going to do the SRA swap but ive looked around town and in west palm. no one has a SRA to sell. junk yards are full of V6 new edges. im going up to orlando to try to find one. then i will be back.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Little advice, just dont plan on selling your car in the near future. Once people find out pulleys and suspension has been swapped out for the factory stuff, a red flag emerges and shows proof of a drag racing car that has been beat to hell. You'll also be hard pressed to get decent money as compared to one still showroom stock.

Putting my car back to stock is much easier than throwing a irs back in there.:poke:

x NOODLES x

Big Hitter da LLama!
Established Member
Drag Radials were the answer to your breaking a half-shaft.

Did you use them? Yes
Did you break? Yes

Sucks but a little research MAY have prevented it, at least on your first try. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread