Scary moment in my race car today

blk02edge

Established Member
False flag fire situation. Ended up being a water hose/steam. In the moment though... Fire is the first thought. And to top it off my suppression failed... So I chalk this moment up to a reaaally good lesson. Sorry for the extremely gloomy weather. All wildfire smoke.

Also... A fun little spin.

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
1. Was that the suppression you were yanking for on the left?

2. Good reaction, you got out of there pretty damn quick considering the panic.

Glad all is good!

blk02edge

Established Member
1. Was that the suppression you were yanking for on the left?

2. Good reaction, you got out of there pretty damn quick considering the panic.

Glad all is good!
Yes, and it wasn't pulling so I was getting pretty frustrated while also thinking about where to stop (avoid grass fire), if my harness will actually unbuckle and since its a hot track where to go since I had to exit. I am glad it did not happen in a real race lol.

I'll be running the Radical cup series and vintage Formula Ford next year so pretty happy I got my trial run out of the way.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Glad all is good.
Do you spin out very often?

Dumb question, but I've never raced. I mean, spin out isn't a bad thing when you're on the track by yourself. You gotta figure out where the limits are right?

blk02edge

Established Member
Glad all is good.
Do you spin out very often?

Dumb question, but I've never raced. I mean, spin out isn't a bad thing when you're on the track by yourself. You gotta figure out where the limits are right?
Off the top of my head i've spun maybe 5 times in 4 years and one pretty bad crash. Real race cars+slicks make spinning comical, most scenarios you are not saving it, no matter who you are. And if you are never spinning or going off, you are not learning.

This spin however was me simply being cocky, I had the track entirely too myself so I figured i'd try and push that limit and hey, there it was lol.

blk02edge

Established Member
Forget to pull the pin?
No, pin is always out, the cable had a weird fray on the end and got stuck on something. I haven't actually looked at it yet, car will be getting a new cable. (I reeeally should have replaced it anyway) new lesson learned.

JAJ

Rapidly Losing Interest
Established Member
Off the top of my head i've spun maybe 5 times in 4 years and one pretty bad crash. Real race cars+slicks make spinning comical, most scenarios you are not saving it, no matter who you are. And if you are never spinning or going off, you are not learning.

This spin however was me simply being cocky, I had the track entirely too myself so I figured i'd try and push that limit and hey, there it was lol.
Spinning on the exit of T12? Really? T11's a challenge because of the elevation change, but 12's flat as a pancake.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Watching the video, I can totally understand you going into panic mode. I would have thought "fire" as well. Thankfully, all in all a great day for you. You had some fun, gained more experience, and found a couple of things that needed some important attention.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Handled yourself well! Probably could've stopped sooner, especially knowing you were the only one on the track.

blk02edge

Established Member
Spinning on the exit of T12? Really? T11's a challenge because of the elevation change, but 12's flat as a pancake.
T12 is the most common spin spot, usually on entry not exit though.. My left rear had just caught the dirt.
Handled yourself well! Probably could've stopped sooner, especially knowing you were the only one on the track.
I considered that, but I was on a completely blind corner and I wanted to be visible just in case someone did make it out.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
T12 is the most common spin spot, usually on entry not exit though.. My left rear had just caught the dirt.

I considered that, but I was on a completely blind corner and I wanted to be visible just in case someone did make it out.

Don't blame you at all.

JAJ

Rapidly Losing Interest
Established Member
T12 is the most common spin spot, usually on entry not exit though.. My left rear had just caught the dirt...
Ahh, got it. Cars spinning on the "entrance to 12" are usually in trouble because they messed up steering and throttle in 11. You were perfect through 11 and that little puff of dust tells the tale on 12.

Could you put up a link to a complete lap for us? I'd like to see how you get through the complexes like 4-5-6 and 14-15-16. It must be a blast compared to doing it in a 3800 pound nose-heavy Mustang.

BTW - I'm supposed to be there on Aug 16 - is the track actually operating? They posted on Fbook that the fence was damaged. The BC Forest Service map shows the fire covering turn 1 and there's an evacuation order in place. What's the story?

blk02edge

Established Member
Ahh, got it. Cars spinning on the "entrance to 12" are usually in trouble because they messed up steering and throttle in 11. You were perfect through 11 and that little puff of dust tells the tale on 12.

Could you put up a link to a complete lap for us? I'd like to see how you get through the complexes like 4-5-6 and 14-15-16. It must be a blast compared to doing it in a 3800 pound nose-heavy Mustang.

BTW - I'm supposed to be there on Aug 16 - is the track actually operating? They posted on Fbook that the fence was damaged. The BC Forest Service map shows the fire covering turn 1 and there's an evacuation order in place. What's the story?
Yea, I'm flat through 11, which is quite easy with mega downforce and not too much of a deal with my car. Most other cars get very disturbed. With T11 just remember if you end up doing the back and forth dance, just stay right and go off, don't try to correct it, it will put you in the wall.

Track is great, zero fire damage but the gas pumps are still shut off.

Full video. My lines won't be the same for heavier vehicles, especially coming up through 14-15-16

JAJ

Rapidly Losing Interest
Established Member
Yea, I'm flat through 11, which is quite easy with mega downforce and not too much of a deal with my car. Most other cars get very disturbed. With T11 just remember if you end up doing the back and forth dance, just stay right and go off, don't try to correct it, it will put you in the wall.

Track is great, zero fire damage but the gas pumps are still shut off.

Full video. My lines won't be the same for heavier vehicles, especially coming up through 14-15-16
That's great - thanks for posting the full lap!

Actually, your lines are different the whole way around - you turn in a lot earlier and get the benefit of driving a shorter distance through the corners. In the Mustang, every corner entry is late and every apex is a late apex - the rule for smooth corners is "get out and stay out" until you can see through the apex to the exit.

blk02edge

Established Member
That's great - thanks for posting the full lap!

Actually, your lines are different the whole way around - you turn in a lot earlier and get the benefit of driving a shorter distance through the corners. In the Mustang, every corner entry is late and every apex is a late apex - the rule for smooth corners is "get out and stay out" until you can see through the apex to the exit.
Rizzo motorsports? Never heard of them, what mustang do you have anyway?

Users who are viewing this thread