School me in 4.0 whipple

hey11101

Established Member
I was looking at the prices cost between 2.9 and 3.4 and 4.0 whipples supercharges and it's not that much of difference. Now I know you have to have a built motor even with increase cubes to take full advantage of 4.0 whipple. It just seems you have almost endless possibility with the 4.0 as u build your engine up. Here are some questions I have though.

1. Can I run the 4.0 with stock motor for lets say about a year and make maybe 600HP?
2. Anyway to make stock hood work and if not will the cobra R hood do the job ?
3. Does the 4.0 have tendency to snap the snout like the 3.4 does ?

If I will keep the car I want it to be a monster of a car since I only use it rarely due to weather and work.

clnivens

Established Member
Hey Buddy, you will not be able to use a stock hood for a 4.0 whipple, so cancel that. If you havent seen these blowers up close I suggest you go check one out. They look like toddlers strapped on top of the motor! Why would you want to get only 600 hp on a stock motor with a 4.0 whipple, sounds like a waste. The 4.0 whipple isn't even efficient until roughly 23 PSI or so. There are guys like myself getting 800Hp on a 3.4 whipple with pump gas and a built motor. Your correct the cost in the whipple is not that great, but in order to make that blower do what its suppose to do, your going to need to build around it.

03mustang92

1of154
Established Member
Its the wow factor of the 4.0 its not a big deal I completely understand. Saying u have a 4.0 Whipple just badass.

mach1033

Established Member
Even with the 4 inch upper boost is gonna be at 23lbs. I would go for the 2.9 for now. It makes plenty of power for the street

hey11101

Established Member
Hey Buddy, you will not be able to use a stock hood for a 4.0 whipple, so cancel that. If you havent seen these blowers up close I suggest you go check one out. They look like toddlers strapped on top of the motor! Why would you want to get only 600 hp on a stock motor with a 4.0 whipple, sounds like a waste. The 4.0 whipple isn't even efficient until roughly 23 PSI or so. There are guys like myself getting 800Hp on a 3.4 whipple with pump gas and a built motor. Your correct the cost in the whipple is not that great, but in order to make that blower do what its suppose to do, your going to need to build around it.

Sure it is a waste when the motor is not built, but what is nice about it down the line you build the engine up and u got a bad ass set up.

Its the wow factor of the 4.0 its not a big deal I completely understand. Saying u have a 4.0 Whipple just badass.

That is definitely there the wow factor and in my opinion the cobra R hood looks pretty good on the terminator. I know not a lot of people are running the 4.0 but I wonder if it suffers from same problems as the 3.4 with belt slip and snout cracking etc

LS-WHAT

why-try
Established Member
man blowers are a big investment, most of the time u will spend more on your blower than u will building a built 4 valve. so my 2 cents is build your car around your blower or power adder. first make a plan, know what you want out of the car and power range that you want to achive. a lot of people said that my 2.8 kb mammoth back when it was new and the biggest dog on the block was to big and usless on a stock engine. but what i was finding and seeing with my friends builds is that once they started building engines and fuel systems the blowers that they were running where now at their limit and they needed bigger blowers or what not. buy one blower and build everything elese around it when needed or wanted. 600 hp will be easy with a 4.0 and stock long block. it will fit under the stock hood but u have to space your k member and somtimes mod the under side of hoods blanket and all removed. as far as the snout breaking dont know but buddys 4.0 is pushing 26 psi no probs. just my 2 cents good luck!

LS-WHAT

why-try
Established Member
man blowers are a big investment, most of the time u will spend more on your blower than u will building a built 4 valve. so my 2 cents is build your car around your blower or power adder. first make a plan, know what you want out of the car and power range that you want to achive. a lot of people said that my 2.8 kb mammoth back when it was new and the biggest dog on the block was to big and usless on a stock engine. but what i was finding and seeing with my friends builds is that once they started building engines and fuel systems the blowers that they were running where now at their limit and they needed bigger blowers or what not. buy one blower and build everything elese around it when needed or wanted. 600 hp will be easy with a 4.0 and stock long block. it will fit under the stock hood but u have to space your k member and somtimes mod the under side of hoods blanket and all removed. as far as the snout breaking dont know but buddys 4.0 is pushing 26 psi no probs. just my 2 cents good luck!

fordsvtaz

AzSVT
Established Member
Good luck putting that blower on with the motor still in the car. I put the 3.4 whipple crusher with my built motor outside the car. And honestly if something happen where i need to take the blower off, i need to pull the motor. I dont see how i could get to those back bolts. Just wanted to let you know.

03mustang92

1of154
Established Member
My mustang guru I have around my town (which I am very thankful for) got those bolts in less than 10 minutes with a combo of 2 extensions, 2 swivels and using 1/4" drive

BTW that just happened today

Venomous 03

Established Member
4.0 is too much for a stock motor.Go with a 3.4 at most.The lowest boost on a 4.0 with stock lower and 4" upper is 23# ur gonna be making way up north 600.
and personally,i wouldnt go past 750 on a stock motor.people have gotten lucky with 800-900 on stock,but that doesnt convince me.

beaterbike

Established Member
Not the most efficient this efficient that blah blah blah . Why buy a blower then try to sell it later to buy the larger one after you build your motor ? Buy the blower you want pulley it down (6.5 crank pulley), then pulley up after you build the motor . In the mean time drive your car and enjoy it . Use the 4.0 to influence people and make friends. p.s. my 3.4 has not broke my crank ....yet.

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
Good luck putting that blower on with the motor still in the car. I put the 3.4 whipple crusher with my built motor outside the car. And honestly if something happen where i need to take the blower off, i need to pull the motor. I dont see how i could get to those back bolts. Just wanted to let you know.

You do not need to pull the motor to install a 3.4. That is just crazy talk. I have installed many and never had an issue which made me say I need to pull the motor. The correct tools to do the job are key :beer:

blowerandintake.JPG

blowerinstalled.JPG

fordsvtaz

AzSVT
Established Member
You do not need to pull the motor to install a 3.4. That is just crazy talk. I have installed many and never had an issue which made me say I need to pull the motor. The correct tools to do the job are key :beer:

blowerandintake.JPG

blowerinstalled.JPG

Well that makes me fell better. It just looked impossible to get those bolts out. Just saying. I never tried. I put a full built motor in the car so i already had the motor out. That makes me feel better that somebody did it in car.

Last edited:

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
Well that makes me fell better. It just looked impossible to get those bolts out. Just saying. I never tried. I put a full built motor in the car so i already had the motor out. That makes me feel better that somebody did it in car.

No prob. Its doable for sure. You just need 2 people to drop it on. I install the lower manifold to the blower first and install it as an assembly. The back bolt is tricky but like I said with the correct tools, its pretty simple

Blown38

Established Member
I also install and pull the 3.4 with the lower intake installed. I use a cherry picker, its a heavy SOB.

25 psi here and no problems with the crank. 3.5" upper and the 6.55 crank pulley.

Users who are viewing this thread