School me on Austin

Sonic_GT

Established Member
In all the years I've lived in Texas, I've never been to Austin. Passed through it several times but never stopped off. Well I'll be heading up there in 2 weeks for a few days with some friends and want to know the "to do" things. We'll be heading to Travis Lake and 6th street for sure, maybe the capitol building. Any must do's? How bout good restaurants? Thanks guys.

RedfireSVT

Established Member
good luck with lake travis, i believe it is down to one useable boat ramp and they may close that one as well. go float the comal river in new braunfels instead. 6th street for nightlife is pretty much all you need to know. it kind of depends on what your interests are but austin is a great city.

C5aig

Established Member
Tex-Mex (in town) food: Chuy's
Tex-Mex (on lake Travis): Iguana Grille
Tex-Mex (on lake Austin): Hula Hut

Good classy "Homestyle" food:Hyde Park Bark & Grill
Good old fashioned cooking: Threadgills

Breakfast: Kerbey Lane Cafe
Breakfast (Tex-mex): Maudi Milagro's (also does good tex-mex food the rest of the day)

BBQ: Salt Lick (in town called Driftwood south southwest of Austin)

C5aig

Established Member
"normal" 6th street is east of congress avenue and is mostly shot bars
West 6th (just east of south lamar) is a little older crowd (25+) and has more martini type drink places
4th street (north side of street) is pub places with lots of beer choices
4th street (south side of street) is where all the gay bars are

Lobo_Loco

La Mera Vena
Established Member
sorry OP.. but on this topic where downtown or close to it would there be a good hotel to stay at that will not break me???

thanks

-Wade-

Established Member
Stay away from Kerbey Lane. Totally overrated.

Tacos - Torchy's or Taco Deli, both awesome

Burgers - Players, P. Terry's, Mighty Fine, all good

Mexican - Maudies, Juan in a Million

Pizza - Mangia, Austin Pizza Garden, Hoboken Pie

BBQ - Iron Works, Salt Lick (Dripping Springs only, DO NOT go to the one in Round Rock) and Louie Mueller in Taylor.

Bars - Hole in the Wall and "The Local", not all the chaos of downtown. The Hole has live music every night. The Pourhouse on Burnet Rd. is fun as well.

If you are a partier, 5th, 6th, and 7th are bedlam Thursday through Sunday after 9 pm.

Things to Do -
- Go to the Greenbelt for hiking, rock climbing, mountain biking, etc.
- Gamedays are always crazy around campus
- Drive down Bee Caves (FM 2244) and or Cap of Texas 360. Incredible views, incredible houses.

I am not a downtown person at all, and there is always something going on. South Congress, South Lamar, and all around campus. My place backs up to the Greenbelt, so that's where I spend a lot of my time.

Hope this helps.

300.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread