School me on big/little setups

04cobrawhine

Established Member
First off, I tried to search but really didn't find an answer I was looking for. Lemme do the rundown, 03 cobra, IRS, stock springs cut 1 coil, 3" arp studs, fenders rolled. Want to know what rears will work for a drag setup. From what I've seen a 16" rim is the smallest I can run without grinding down the knuckle. True? Also width? Bs? And tire? Tube or tubeles? Bias ply or radial? I want a soft sidewall so I'm not breaking parts again like with my DRs. (It's getting the ftbr kit). As for fronts, I have cobra r brakes so I'm very limited on wheel choices. Can I just run the tires I have in there now? And I'd rather not spend an arm and leg for something like a ccw setup but don't mind spending a little for something good/nice looking. Something mid range

Last edited:

rudycobra

Established Member
Race stars here 17's front and 15's . Had to do some grinding but worth it imo . Only thing I dislike is mine are universal and have the offset washers .

04cobrawhine

Established Member
Race stars here 17's front and 15's . Had to do some grinding but worth it imo . Only thing I dislike is mine are universal and have the offset washers .

What do you mean by offset washers?

Edit: scratch that I found it on their site. How much grinding did you do on the knuckle? Have any pictures?

Last edited:

itSSlow98

Established Member
Don't run slicks on the back and stock tires up front......i tried it once at the track and wound up having to clean the leather on my seat.

svt4me38

BOWENZMOTORSPORTS.COM
Established Member
Don't run slicks on the back and stock tires up front......i tried it once at the track and wound up having to clean the leather on my seat.

I've ran the car this way for the last two years, 18s up front no swaybar with 16inch bias Plys on rear. Trapping over 140mph, only got hairy a couple of times when I ran the air pressure to low.

Ace5Oh

Established Member
My setup
17x4.5 direct drill Race stars on MH bias-ply
16x10 with 6in bs Diamond Star Racing 26x10.5 MT ET STREETs.

sazytary.jpg

Last edited:

04cobrawhine

Established Member
My setup
17x4.5 direct drill Race stars on MH bias-ply
16x10 with 6in bs Diamond Star Racing 26x10.5 MT ET STREETs.

sazytary.jpg

That looks like a nice setup. Would you be willing to share what you paid for that setup?

As much as I would love go get some weld wheels, they're a bit out of my price range.

Ace5Oh

Established Member
That looks like a nice setup. Would you be willing to share what you paid for that setup?

As much as I would love go get some weld wheels, they're a bit out of my price range.

Got the front rims from AM. They were $244 a piece, tires for the front were I believe $185 a piece from summit and the rear rims I ordered from Diamond star racing where $125 a piece. There steel, heavy but perfect for what I use them. Rear tires were $211 I believe from summit. I ended up ordering other things like mcgard lugs n open lugs for the back ,n the hubcentric spacer for the front tires. Wish race star made a 16 out back. To match, I know bogart makes a 16 rear.

svt4me38

BOWENZMOTORSPORTS.COM
Established Member
If you're worried about budget, another good rear combo are the 94-96 gt 5 star pony wheels, they are 16x8 clear everything and are actually very light.
Thats what I ran prior to the welds with 27x10 et streets.

04cobrawhine

Established Member
Yeah, i recommend you not doing that. Read up on what happens when integras do it, then apply that situation to high strain situations like drag racing

Integras? As in the front wheel drive 4 cylinder Acura? Yea sorry but that's not quite the same thing. That's like saying watching what happens when you put an eaton on a fit and apply. Not even in the same category.

04cobrawhine

Established Member
Got the front rims from AM. They were $244 a piece, tires for the front were I believe $185 a piece from summit and the rear rims I ordered from Diamond star racing where $125 a piece. There steel, heavy but perfect for what I use them. Rear tires were $211 I believe from summit. I ended up ordering other things like mcgard lugs n open lugs for the back ,n the hubcentric spacer for the front tires. Wish race star made a 16 out back. To match, I know bogart makes a 16 rear.

That's pretty much a good price range for me. What size spacer do you have in the front. From what I see those will clear the 2000 R brakes. Thanks for all that info!

Ace5Oh

Established Member
That's pretty much a good price range for me. What size spacer do you have in the front. From what I see those will clear the 2000 R brakes. Thanks for all that info!

They clear my stock cobra brakes no problem. No spacer or nothing. Straight bolt on.

Users who are viewing this thread