School me on camper trailers

VENOM1

6.0MAN
Established Member
Over the weekend I finally convinced my wife into picking up a tow behind trailer that can sleep 6-10 comfortably and that at least one slide out is king sized. I do hunt, fish and camp so clearance, heat, air, outside awning and grill are important. I am not interested in a fifth wheel as I do not want to cut a hole in my bed nor do I need something that big. Any experiences/insight/advice with campers like this would be greatly appreciated.

YJSONLY

Established Member
Don't get a bumper pull get a gooseneck. You will have a much better ride and control.

Also keep it under a shelter when not in use the weather royally ****s it up.

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
I have a 30ft Jay Flight 28BHS with a slide that sleeps 9. We love it and camp 5-6 times a year even with the short seasons in Upstate NY. I toe with my 6.2 F-150 and a Reese weight jacking hitch with a stabilizer bar. You can find used trailers in great shape for around $10k because people buy them and then use them way less than they anticipated. BUY USED!! The depreciation on a new trailer is ridiculous. Most credit unions will finance 10 years if you don't want to pay cash so the payment is VERY cheap if you go that route. Besides my central AC it was the best purchase I've made in the last 5 years. The kids love it and it's an excuse to start drinking at 8AM when I'm cooking bacon. :)

BLOWN PONY

Established Member
If you do not have a place to keep it covered, make sure to buy a top notch cover.

It's amazing how fast those things deteriorate if left in the sun.

Tractorman

Greatest dad; Regional Qualifier
Established Member
Personally, I would stay away from anything made by Keystone. They seem cheaply built. I hauled a bunch of them this winter, and knobs were falling off, doors would just flop open and rub to heck, stickers peel off the side, ect. Heartland seemed better, but I think the price is a little higher on them.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Used to have a toy hauler - it was nice but I just never used it and it started feeling like a hassle getting it ready for a trip and getting it stocked up. As other have said - expect to pay for covered storage if you can't build something and store in on your property. I bought mine new in '06 - four years later it looked 10yrs old and had only been on the road about 10 times - but sat outside uncovered the rest of the time. If you want something as big as your talking about I would just go 5th wheel if you have the rig to pull it. Soo much easier to maneuver. Mine was 28ft bumper tow. They can get expensive quick. Mine wasn't that bad - I think I paid 18k for it, but I had a buddy that had a 5th wheel toy hauler that was a palace on wheels and it was like 60k. By used if you can - but a lot of people that have campers also have big dogs that stink and tear them up. Make sure what you buy has an aluminum frame. Seems like a no brainer, but incredibly some of them are basically a flat bed trailer with an all wood structure sitting on it - crazy cheap and poor quality.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
I keep mine uncovered, and have for the last 3 years..it's fine. Mine doesn't have a rubber roof though, it's all fiberglass and I wax it twice a year (which, btw, is a huge pita). However, the sun does do some work on the caulk, so make sure you keep after that so you don't get any leaks.

We don't use ours as much as we would like too, but mostly it's because it's out of sight, out of mind. We can't keep ours on the property due to HOA regs, so we don't use it as often as we should because I frequently forget about it. And going to get it, clean it, load it, and take it on a trip, then unload it, clean it and haul it away again gets to be a hassle. It was easier at our last house when I could keep it in the driveway.

I actually need to go grab mine and do the brake/wheel bearing maintenance on it. Before I get busy and then we want to use it for the fall camping season.

I do agree with the others though..if you can keep it covered, that would be best. Eventually, when I build a detached garage at the new place, I'm going to build a covered parking spot along side the garage to conceal/store the camper.

VENOM1

6.0MAN
Established Member
I have a 30ft Jay Flight 28BHS with a slide that sleeps 9. We love it and camp 5-6 times a year even with the short seasons in Upstate NY. I toe with my 6.2 F-150 and a Reese weight jacking hitch with a stabilizer bar. You can find used trailers in great shape for around $10k because people buy them and then use them way less than they anticipated. BUY USED!! The depreciation on a new trailer is ridiculous. Most credit unions will finance 10 years if you don't want to pay cash so the payment is VERY cheap if you go that route. Besides my central AC it was the best purchase I've made in the last 5 years. The kids love it and it's an excuse to start drinking at 8AM when I'm cooking bacon. :)

Thanks for the information! We are definitely looking to buy a 1-3 year old well taken care of trailer and would be twoing it with a weight jacking hitch and stabilizer bar as well. Any brand names that I should look at or stay away from?

Go to RV shows, they discount them huge.

That is what I have heard but I think a 1-3 year old trailer would be even less money, although I could be wrong.

If you do not have a place to keep it covered, make sure to buy a top notch cover.

It's amazing how fast those things deteriorate if left in the sun.

I have read a lot about this and will be buying a cover.

Personally, I would stay away from anything made by Keystone. They seem cheaply built. I hauled a bunch of them this winter, and knobs were falling off, doors would just flop open and rub to heck, stickers peel off the side, ect. Heartland seemed better, but I think the price is a little higher on them.

That is interesting as much of what I have read online shows that Keystones are built well. I will have to do some more research on that and takes a look at Heartland.

Used to have a toy hauler - it was nice but I just never used it and it started feeling like a hassle getting it ready for a trip and getting it stocked up. As other have said - expect to pay for covered storage if you can't build something and store in on your property. I bought mine new in '06 - four years later it looked 10yrs old and had only been on the road about 10 times - but sat outside uncovered the rest of the time. If you want something as big as your talking about I would just go 5th wheel if you have the rig to pull it. Soo much easier to maneuver. Mine was 28ft bumper tow. They can get expensive quick. Mine wasn't that bad - I think I paid 18k for it, but I had a buddy that had a 5th wheel toy hauler that was a palace on wheels and it was like 60k. By used if you can - but a lot of people that have campers also have big dogs that stink and tear them up. Make sure what you buy has an aluminum frame. Seems like a no brainer, but incredibly some of them are basically a flat bed trailer with an all wood structure sitting on it - crazy cheap and poor quality.

Thanks for the advice, we are 99.9% sure we will buy used and will ensure that it is aluminum as well. Never thought about dogs but that is a good point as well.

I keep mine uncovered, and have for the last 3 years..it's fine. Mine doesn't have a rubber roof though, it's all fiberglass and I wax it twice a year (which, btw, is a huge pita). However, the sun does do some work on the caulk, so make sure you keep after that so you don't get any leaks.

We don't use ours as much as we would like too, but mostly it's because it's out of sight, out of mind. We can't keep ours on the property due to HOA regs, so we don't use it as often as we should because I frequently forget about it. And going to get it, clean it, load it, and take it on a trip, then unload it, clean it and haul it away again gets to be a hassle. It was easier at our last house when I could keep it in the driveway.

I actually need to go grab mine and do the brake/wheel bearing maintenance on it. Before I get busy and then we want to use it for the fall camping season.

I do agree with the others though..if you can keep it covered, that would be best. Eventually, when I build a detached garage at the new place, I'm going to build a covered parking spot along side the garage to conceal/store the camper.

Until we move into our house that is being built and that has an RV gate with awning I will have to store it while not in use as our current HOA will pee themselves if I have it at my house over 2 days. I can see how this could be a PITA and would deter me from using it as well but that is one thing that living in Colorado would ensure a we are always outdoors and camping.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
If it smells like extreme fabreeze\air fresheners that is likely a trailer that has had dogs in it and just like with a house that has had big dogs, the pleasant smells will go away and the dog smell will come back. After five years mine still smelled like new - basically like a tube of liquid nails. That would be what you want.

Good luck, if your wife is into it and excited about it you will probably have fun. My wife couldn't have cared less and we never used it as a family, I just used it for buddy trips which got harder and harder to schedule and I finally gave up and sold it.

king nothing

Established Member
If you want a king bed you will have to get a HUGE camper, Probably bigger than you can pull with a 1/2 ton. Some of the big 5th wheels come with a king, and Ive only seen one travel trailer (bumper pull) with a king. Also, if you are over 6 foot make sure the bed is full length. Most of them come with a mattress that is 8 inches shorter than a regular mattress (74 inches vs 80). We have a 27 foot travel trailer now and am looking into getting something bigger. We have a local campground where we will be getting a permanent site as soon as one opens up

Ken03KBGTvert

Established Member
We have a 27' travel trailer that sleeps 7-8, not a fifth wheel, and I'm not buying the whole "fifth wheel tows so much better than a travel trailer" thing. We've towed our travel trailer all over eastern U.S.. wind, storms, interstate, twisty curvy roads, you name it. I've never once felt the least bit nervous while towing it. Actually quite the opposite.

We are leaving tomorrow on a two week 6000 mile cross country trip. I wouldn't take a trip like this if I didn't enjoy pulling the trailer around.

As far as once you own whatever you decide to get...

Go ahead and buy a second set of everything. Dinnerware, sheets, towels, etc., the less you have to transfer from the house to the rv, the more enjoyable the trip will be. When we "pack" for the trip, it's food and clothes. That's it. Oh and firewood.

Develope a routine with your wife, setting up and breaking down. You do certain things while she's doing certain things. We can be set up in 20 minutes, reverse it all in maybe 30 minutes.

We got a grill from walmart that is a tripod thing with a grill that hangs down from it on a chain. We usually use the camping ring at the site, throw that grill over it and cook on it with wood, that way we don't have to worry about buying charcoal. We have another small grill in the rv but we never use it, I love grilling on the one over the fire ring.

Get a small electric heater. Use it if camping when it's cold outside. Why waste your gas when there is free electricity at the campgound?

Get a box of latex gloves. Dumping the tanks is nasty, no matter how careful you are, you'll get something on your hands. Throw the disposable gloves on and trash them when done.

I don't have a picture of it, but you can probably find one on the internet. You can get a piece of pvc tube from Lowes, it has holes cut in it, strap that on under the rear of your rv and put your sewer line thing in there when not using it. They also make these plug things that screw into each end of the pipe so the sewer tube won't fall out. A lot of people slide the sewer line thing into the rear bumper, but I read on the internet that doing that will rust out the bumper. And everything you read on the internet is true! I'll take a picture of this is you want to show you what I'm talking about.

Get a couple 2X6 and 2X4 lumber, cut the 2X6 into 18" sections, the 2x4 into 6" sections. use these to level the rv, put under the stabilizer things at each corner, under the jack at the front of the rv, and to chock the wheels. I can take pictures of this too if you'd like. The less you have to jack the better. You can buy the fancy stuff at the rv store for this, but the wood is cheaper and does just as good a job.

All I can think of at the moment.

Ken

Last edited:

VENOM1

6.0MAN
Established Member
If you want a king bed you will have to get a HUGE camper, Probably bigger than you can pull with a 1/2 ton. Some of the big 5th wheels come with a king, and Ive only seen one travel trailer (bumper pull) with a king. Also, if you are over 6 foot make sure the bed is full length. Most of them come with a mattress that is 8 inches shorter than a regular mattress (74 inches vs 80). We have a 27 foot travel trailer now and am looking into getting something bigger. We have a local campground where we will be getting a permanent site as soon as one opens up

It will be towed with a 3/4ton diesel so no worries on size or towing capacity.

We have a 27' travel trailer that sleeps 7-8, not a fifth wheel, and I'm not buying the whole "fifth wheel tows so much better than a travel trailer" thing. We've towed our travel trailer all over eastern U.S.. wind, storms, interstate, twisty curvy roads, you name it. I've never once felt the least bit nervous while towing it. Actually quite the opposite.

We are leaving tomorrow on a two week 6000 mile cross country trip. I wouldn't take a trip like this if I didn't enjoy pulling the trailer around.

As far as once you own whatever you decide to get...

Go ahead and buy a second set of everything. Dinnerware, sheets, towels, etc., the less you have to transfer from the house to the rv, the more enjoyable the trip will be. When we "pack" for the trip, it's food and clothes. That's it. Oh and firewood.

Develope a routine with your wife, setting up and breaking down. You do certain things while she's doing certain things. We can be set up in 20 minutes, reverse it all in maybe 30 minutes.

We got a grill from walmart that is a tripod thing with a grill that hangs down from it on a chain. We usually use the camping ring at the site, throw that grill over it and cook on it with wood, that way we don't have to worry about buying charcoal. We have another small grill in the rv but we never use it, I love grilling on the one over the fire ring.

Get a small electric heater. Use it if camping when it's cold outside. Why waste your gas when there is free electricity at the campgound?

Get a box of latex gloves. Dumping the tanks is nasty, no matter how careful you are, you'll get something on your hands. Throw the disposable gloves on and trash them when done.

I don't have a picture of it, but you can probably find one on the internet. You can get a piece of pvc tube from Lowes, it has holes cut in it, strap that on under the rear of your rv and put your sewer line thing in there when not using it. They also make these plug things that screw into each end of the pipe so the sewer tube won't fall out. A lot of people slide the sewer line thing into the rear bumper, but I read on the internet that doing that will rust out the bumper. And everything you read on the internet is true! I'll take a picture of this is you want to show you what I'm talking about.

Get a couple 2X6 and 2X4 lumber, cut the 2X6 into 18" sections, the 2x4 into 6" sections. use these to level the rv, put under the stabilizer things at each corner, under the jack at the front of the rv, and to chock the wheels. I can take pictures of this too if you'd like. The less you have to jack the better. You can buy the fancy stuff at the rv store for this, but the wood is cheaper and does just as good a job.

All I can think of at the moment.

Ken

Ken,

Thank you for the information; it helped a lot. If you wouldn't mind taking a picture of what you are referring to it would be greatly appreciated as well. If you don't mind you may have just turned into a go-to for questions I am unsure of? What brand of camper do you own?

BW

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
If you're talking about the trailer I haven't heard anything really negative with regard to one brand another. As far as my Jayco is concerned I am VERY pleased, and so are many others from my research. The 28/29/32 BHS are very popular models. I just wish I had a little more storage and maybe 3 more inches both ways when in the shower. It's a 2009 that I've owned for 2 seasons has nice fit and finish and I have yet to find any leaks. The roof is walkable which is nice if you're going to a race or really want to clean the awning thoroughly. The awning and all the systems are easily operated and and the slide is solid and steady with an easy push button. For winterization/dewinterization I just pay a local guy $80 to install and remove the antifreeze when it's time. I also store uncovered and have had zero issues, I just check the caulk every season. I love the thing.

If you mean a weight jacking anti-sway hitch I would just buck up for the Reese. It has a great reputation and is super easy to hook up IMHO. My truck sits dead level with a 6500 pound trailer on it with this setup and I notice virtually no side to side or up and down motion. Make sure to always look for leaks, water issues, ants, and rodent damage, that's very common when people don't maintain things properly. Good luck with your search!

Thanks for the information! We are definitely looking to buy a 1-3 year old well taken care of trailer and would be twoing it with a weight jacking hitch and stabilizer bar as well. Any brand names that I should look at or stay away from?

Last edited:

fireman02

Established Member
This is our first year camping and so far after 3 trips everyone loves it. I have a 2013 Springdale 303bhssr. It's a bumper pull that's just under 36' and with the equal-I-zer wdh it's tows fine, We just got back from a trip that was 6hrs away and did 65-70mph without any issues. Also, so far we are happy with the build quality. Go to rvnetforums.com for lots of good info on campers.

Ken03KBGTvert

Established Member
It will be towed with a 3/4ton diesel so no worries on size or towing capacity.

Ken,

Thank you for the information; it helped a lot. If you wouldn't mind taking a picture of what you are referring to it would be greatly appreciated as well. If you don't mind you may have just turned into a go-to for questions I am unsure of? What brand of camper do you own?

BW

We a a Puma 27rbss. Nothing special but got a good deal on it new, it sleeps 7-8 easily and so far it's been great. I'll take pictures of the stuff as we use it the next two weeks as well as post anything else I think of.

Ken

Ken03KBGTvert

Established Member
Here are a few pictures. I forgot I also had some 2X10 that I cut up. I just used lumber I had around the house left over from projects so it was really free in a way. I have around 6-2X10X18ish, 8-2X6X8ish, and 4 of the 2X4X6ish that I cut and then screwed two of them together that usually get used to to put under the wheels when we are at a spot to keep from rolling back/forth. I also have that one large 6X8 (guessing) I picked up somewhere and use under the jack. The 2X10 usually go under the wheels on one side or the other to level the rv side to side. The spot we are at today was level without needing that which rarely happens.

20140721_070403.jpg

20140721_070414.jpg

20140721_070429.jpg

20140721_070443.jpg

20140721_070504.gif

The last two are of the tube I was talking about to hold our sewer drain nose. It's large enough to hold it with the adapter that hooks on to your drain on the rv, the picture I took is of the other end. The part that goes on the end you see in the picture and into the ground we keep in a small bucket thing in one of the storage spots you access from outside the rv.

This is our home away from home now...
20140712_150139.jpg

One more thought, especially if you are storing it off site. Get a chain and lock and secure your propane tanks. Someone swapped tanks with us two years ago while we had ours stored. I'm sure of it. We had only used part of one tank, next time we went to use it, both tanks were completely empty. Now I have them chained to the frame where they sit up front. No problems since.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread