School me on home security cam systems

thecrimson

Derpin
Established Member
Looking to get a house in a few weeks and I'd like to have an outdoor security system that records day and night around the property. I'd only need around 4 cameras at the most, one for each side of the house. A few things that I'd like: Wireless capability -I don't want to worry about a huge wired set up that I'd need to figure out and wire all over the place. The ability to watch my stream online, uploaded to a cloud when I'm away. This would also prove useful if someone happened to steal the actual dvr I'd assume? A clear picture is also a must. I'd need to be able to identify faces, lic plates etc. Lastly, i'd like to spend no more than $1500 if possible. The only systems i've really looked at are these Lorex ones: http://www.lorextechnology.com/outd...ystem/2138.p?gclid=CMiE84mq-r4CFURqfgodzCgAzw

I know we have some gurus on svtp, can u help a brother out?

MinGrey02Stg2

Established Member
The package you posted has VGA resolution, which is basically 640x480. Get something with 1920x1080 if you want that much needed requirement of being able to see faces, license plates, etc.

Here's an option, though it isn't wireless. (you'll only have to install once though!): http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/967549-REG/swann_swnvk_872004_us_nvr8_7200_nvr_with_4x.html

Full HD Real-Time Display Resolution
Manual/Motion/Schedule/Alarm Recording
H.264 Compression / Multiplex Operation
Pre-Installed 3TB Hard Drive
iOS/Android Support
Includes 4 NHD-820 1080p Cameras
1/4" CMOS Sensor / 1000 TVL Resolution
30 IR LEDs / Night Vision up to 115'
IP66-Rated Camera Housing

Last edited:

sleek98

Established Member
You wont be able to get that clear of a picture to identify people/plates with a wireless system, when it compresses it to send to the DVR it loses to much.

Also with the way the cameras are set-up you wont be ale to get a plate from anything other than a license plate camera, unless you mount a normal camera at the license plate height somewhere alone their way in and they happen to drive in the couple feet range that it is set up for.

I have a nuvico setup, the resolution isn't bad but I don't have 1080 resolution cameras, they were way to high, I have 1,400 in my system that I put together, it was 500 for the DVR, 90 for the cheap cameras (4), 175 for the mid level camera, hundred or so for the power distribution box and 300 or so in line.

A quality system is not cheap. Also I would recommend getting domes and not bullets if you are worried about people being on your property, the only thing that can stop a dome is spray paint. Its easy to knock a bullet camera up.

Last edited:

Svtkidd23

#4THGEARMATTERS
Established Member
But op.... Another option.. When you go on vacation set deer Cams in the trees of your back yard and side of getting yard to see if any one is snooping around

01GTB

Established Member
That's what I have. But those with covert IR cost a pretty penny. If they see it, it's gone too. So black IR is kind of a big deal if it's in the trespasser's line of sight. Plus you only have one viewing angle unless you buy more. And you have no video. The best will trigger fast enough to get a few pics the perp, if you are lucky. I've had a fair amount of trouble out of it too. This is one I have.

http://www.reconyx.com/shop/SC950_HyperFire_Security_Camera/d/240/96

sleek98

Established Member
Most criminals will stay away if they see it. If they don't see it they wont go for the box. Last thing is if they don't care if they are seen then they aren't smart enough to go for the box.

To get to my box, It would take someone a good 30 mins to even find it. Its in a hidden room that you wouldn't think anything is in there. Plus at that point I have insurance, if they get that far in the house they will have destroyed just about everything.

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
I have ADT at my house. I love it. 5 security cameras that I can access on my phone whenever I want and motion sensors that will notify me when theyre tripped. Id highly recommend them. Its a great security/camera system.

YJSONLY

Established Member
I have ADT at my house. I love it. 5 security cameras that I can access on my phone whenever I want and motion sensors that will notify me when theyre tripped. Id highly recommend them. Its a great security/camera system.

Costing what a month?

thecrimson

Derpin
Established Member
I have a security system with window/door trips but that's about it. I definitely need the IR cam because nighttime. Great point about the wireless issue with the resolution, I hadn't even considered that. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but if you can see the stream via android/ios isn't there an option to record remotely to a cloud service? Obviously my main goal here is deterrence but if someone was willing enough to b&e after noticing the cam, tear apart the house, find the box (as unlikely as it is) I'd want to make damn sure I had the footage saved somewhere else. The cameras themselves don't seem that expensive but I'm sure it all adds up. The area i'm moving to is a bit rougher than my previous residence but the crime stats are mostly theft and vandalism. Good stuff guys, keep it coming.

kook911

Established Member
I have the q-see 4 channel on my house. It does have night time but it only records black and white at night unless you have a light then it will record color. Mine is wired but it is easy to run. Good picture during the day, but not so good at night when the light is off. I think it cost me $300 but that was a couple of years ago. It all depends on how good you want the set up to be. I just wanted to deter and see outside of my house. Those cameras has saved me twice now once when I caught some fools breaking into my jeep and the other when my trailer trash neighbor said I assaulted her. So to me they paid off.

thecrimson

Derpin
Established Member
I have the q-see 4 channel on my house. It does have night time but it only records black and white at night unless you have a light then it will record color. Mine is wired but it is easy to run. Good picture during the day, but not so good at night when the light is off. I think it cost me $300 but that was a couple of years ago. It all depends on how good you want the set up to be. I just wanted to deter and see outside of my house. Those cameras has saved me twice now once when I caught some fools breaking into my jeep and the other when my trailer trash neighbor said I assaulted her. So to me they paid off.

Wow...yeah I'd say they paid off big time. I think i'm just gunna go into it w/ the mindset that I can't put a price on piece of mind. I work a crazy swing shift schedule and there will be times (often) that my wife is home by herself and with my son so that'll go a long way. I also plan on installing motion lights on at least both sides of the property, possibly even in the back (it has a back house). It'll get pricey for sure but eff it. Do you think the lights suddenly coming on will throw the camera off?

03 KB Sonic Blue

Established Member
You will never get full HD quality with a wireless camera like others have said. Not to mention you still need power to power a wireless camera. Just run cat5e or cat6 if you want to future proof. Get you a IP setup. 2MP with IR and get you a NVR with PoE built in so one less piece of equipment you need.
Icrealtime makes good equipment that I use. Mobile app is 29.99 tho but free ddns service. Onix is another brand that has a free app and a free ddns service. I've started using them since can get 3MP outdoor domes with 3tb NVR with built in PoE for under 2k.

Pm me if you have any questions.

Check out the difference in quality.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QsvLMeTXkhY

Digital watch dog has a awesome user interface on the NVR.

Last edited:

thecrimson

Derpin
Established Member
Thanks bro, I'll take u up on that when I close escrow...and holy sh! the ip is insanely clear. I'm def checking digital watchdog out.

Last edited:

paluka21

Established Member
Good stuff here. I might add, the ability to pan in/out while performing manual mode in the event a real-time event is occurring you want to record and/or see. A lot of the wireless cameras don't have the ability to see accurately for much further than 50 feet or so, at least the ones that I've seen, unless you get into more expensive units.

Here is one that I like the features of, albeit it doesn't offer zoom from what I can tell.
http://mammothtechnologies.com/prod...ty-camera?utm_source=googlepla&utm_medium=cpc

Users who are viewing this thread